nfenchak

Bad Yogi

14 posts in this topic

http://yogabycandace.com/blog/2014/9/4/confessions-of-a-yoga-teacher-im-bad I love this post! And I love your red lipstick Candace! You rock it!

I'm really bad, like super super bad.

I love meat

hate flowery yoga talk (once I was in a class w/ a sub and there were 3 college aged guys in the class. The 60 year old teacher at one point said something like "lift your ankle towards your uterus" I immediately lost focus, looked at the guys and actually snorted out loud at the look on their faces.)

I like normal music - chanting makes me nervous. My teacher has some Indian rap songs and I love them, even though in my head I make the words sound English w/ weird made up lyrics.

I hate meditation - I do fall asleep and wake up startled when I start to snore.

Whenever I go into a place that has a budda statue I want to dress it - put on a fun hat, sunglasses, fake mustache...

I totally notice all the cute yoga outfits and have to find out where they were bought

When someone falls during class - I laugh as soon as I know they are ok...

What makes you a bad Yogi

I have serious trouble with concentration and focus. Really bad, actually. I'm hoping that one day I'll have a 'lightbulb' moment in yoga and be able to use yoga as a moving meditation. But for now what goes through my head during yoga and even savasana (savasana probably moreso!) - did I feed the dog? This place is a mess, I need to clean it up. Man this is uncomfortable, I can't WAIT until this posture is over. 

i very rarely can do yoga without music...robin thicke pandora station is usually the only way i get through sequences

sometimes i fall asleep during savasana 

when it's suggested i do a pose for 3-7 breaths, i always do 3

sometimes halfway through a sequence, i'll grab a snack just because

i lose focus easily

i do yoga at home by connecting my laptop to the tv...when we've been in a pose i dislike too long, i find myself yelling at the tv "Come on!" 

Thank you all for the humour!  Me?  Bad yogi?  Have to be self-motivated as I don't usually attend classes but sometimes I just go through the motions.  Like Jasmine and femmefatalekris I lose focus easily.  I do the poses but I'm not really there. I also get antsy if I don't have music playing. 

http://yogabycandace.com/blog/2014/9/4/confessions-of-a-yoga-teacher-im-bad I love this post! And I love your red lipstick Candace! You rock it!

I'm really bad, like super super bad.

I love meat

hate flowery yoga talk (once I was in a class w/ a sub and there were 3 college aged guys in the class. The 60 year old teacher at one point said something like "lift your ankle towards your uterus" I immediately lost focus, looked at the guys and actually snorted out loud at the look on their faces.)

I like normal music - chanting makes me nervous. My teacher has some Indian rap songs and I love them, even though in my head I make the words sound English w/ weird made up lyrics.

I hate meditation - I do fall asleep and wake up startled when I start to snore.

Whenever I go into a place that has a budda statue I want to dress it - put on a fun hat, sunglasses, fake mustache...

I totally notice all the cute yoga outfits and have to find out where they were bought

When someone falls during class - I laugh as soon as I know they are ok...

What makes you a bad Yogi

LOL, OP your post made me laugh. I do agree though it's a great post & Candace did rock it

I'm guilty of 1, 3,4, 5 ,  7,  & 10

nfenchak and YogaByCandace like this

I usually consider yoga to be only asana, even though I know that there's more to it. I just keep telling myself that I have no time for things like meditation, chanting and the like, while I know my reason is just that I find asana most fun part of yoga..

YogaByCandace likes this

14 hours ago, afriske said:

If I go to an actual class, I'm much more focused on competing with the others than my own practice.

You know, I always thought of myself as noncompetitive in classes.  But then I realized I'm doing just that if I go to a class with my friends.  I don't care how I am when I'm in a class with people I don't know, but when it's with a friend, I want them to like yoga but also see how "good" I am.  Isn't that twisted?  But if there is no competition... it doesn't matter if I think I'm looking impressive or not!

brenskip55 and afriske like this

Sometimes I get competitive in classes, but with myself - if that makes sense. In fact often that's WHY I go to classes a lot of the time - because I need that extra external push to go further or work harder. I'd say it's a healthy competitive attitude, though. Never to the point of injury. Of course it wasn't always that way...

Does faking the "ommms" count?

I normally ignore that part of the class (I'm a non-conformist), but today, we were packed tight and the instructor was about a foot away from me, so I was guilted into pretending that I was ommmm-ing. I made a slight noise, but didn't mean it (LOL). I have no problem with the breathing and blanking my thoughts, but I draw the line at being told to make a sound. 

msinkblot likes this

I guess I'm a bad yogi. I eat meat (although I prefer fish. Not a fan of meat), I hate juices (of any kinds, let alone green juices!), I don't like chanting (I associate it with conformity even if it really isn't, I just don't like being told what to do), I love cake (is this yogic?), and I can be competitive, if only with myself. Oh and meditation makes me crazy! I prefer daydreaming on the bus, does that count?