Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Katie

Advice For Teaching Privates

7 posts in this topic

I have a question for Candace or anyone else who has experience teaching private sessions.  I have been teaching for three years.  Currently I am teaching at a local gym, which has a really strong yoga program.  Compared to a lot of gyms I think I am pretty lucky in that they offer a lot of yoga classes, have props available, and I have a lot of regular students.  

I have been thinking about speaking with the director about offering private yoga classes.  The gym obviously has personal trainers and I was thinking about discussing them having a parallel type of program where you can buy a package of private yoga classes.  I was thinking along the lines of advertising it as for beginners to get ready for the group classes, for more experienced students who want to start doing arm balances etc, or for people with injuries who may need too many modifications for a regular class.  

What I'm looking for is advice about how to best market private classes, what the average rate is to charge, and any general advice about teaching in this way (I feel like it would be very different than teaching the 12-18 people I usually teach).

Thanks for any help you can give me!

I'm hoping to glean similar information, Candace. Since I am brand spankin' new to teaching privates, I'm most interested in how to make each session unique. Obviously, teaching a class is very different than doing a 1+1 private session. I am struggling w/ the transition and how to ensure my clients feel like they are getting true value from their sessions. I'm also curious about the average rate for a new private yoga teacher vs a more seasoned one? Should my rates reflect my experience as a private teacher?

YogaByCandace likes this

I'm hoping to glean similar information, Candace. Since I am brand spankin' new to teaching privates, I'm most interested in how to make each session unique. Obviously, teaching a class is very different than doing a 1+1 private session. I am struggling w/ the transition and how to ensure my clients feel like they are getting true value from their sessions. I'm also curious about the average rate for a new private yoga teacher vs a more seasoned one? Should my rates reflect my experience as a private teacher?

Great questions! This post will be up this week, so stay tuned.  :13:

Does anyone that teaches private sessions at a gym? and if so, would you be willing to share what percentage of the client cost you pay to the facility for the use of the space?

I am a full time employee at a Physical Therapy facility and gym and they have asked me to start teaching private sessions.  Unfortunately, they would like to charge the client $65 and only give me $20 of it which I don't feel is an appropriate split.

I'd love any feedback on what you may be currently doing!

YogaByCandace likes this

The yoga studio where I'm completing my teacher training takes 50% for anything other than group classes. But we can set whatever rate we choose (the going rate in my area is purpotedly around $100-$120/hour). My husband is a personal trainer and used to be employed by the bigger gyms, and they would pay him something similar to what you're being offered. One thing that is VERY common in his industry is to work at these facilities to establish a client base, and to take them with you when you have enough to leave. He now trains his clients at a smaller personal training gym and has to pay the house $20/hour in rent.

I am not teaching privates at a gym so take this with a grain of salt, but based on my understanding of the fitness industry, you are being offered the norm. You could always try to negotiate a better split and also see if you can transition your (upcoming) private clients away in the future. Of course you'd obviously have to be very careful about not letting your employer catching wind of it...

[All this assumes that yoga at a gym is treated in the same way as personal training at a gym]

YogaByCandace likes this