Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jasmine

Foam Rollers

20 posts in this topic

I just ordered a foam roller online and should have it within a few days. I decided to go ahead and buy one after seeing a video on foam rollers and being able to help with kyphosis, I have a slight kyphosis in my back thanks to years of office work that I'd like to fix. 

I saw someone mention them in another thread here, and was wondering can we use them to help with our yoga practice?

To be completely honest, I've bought this thing and kind of don't have a clue on what to do with it!! 

Laura, MrBalloonHands and nfenchak like this

I just ordered a foam roller online and should have it within a few days. I decided to go ahead and buy one after seeing a video on foam rollers and being able to help with kyphosis, I have a slight kyphosis in my back thanks to years of office work that I'd like to fix. 

I saw someone mention them in another thread here, and was wondering can we use them to help with our yoga practice?

To be completely honest, I've bought this thing and kind of don't have a clue on what to do with it!! 

HI Jasmine,

I have used a foam roller for years. I use it primarily every day before workouts or sports. It's a great way to loosen the body before training. It helps break up the muscles fibers and connective tissues before putting your body through a vigorous workout. It can also help with over all body maintenance and flexibility. But don't get me wrong, I don't know the exact scientific reason for why we roll out. It has always been a something I have been told I have to do by coaches and strength trainers prior to exercise. If you are not used to rolling out, your muscles will hurt a bit at first, but as you get used to it, the pain will go down. My fav is rolling out the I.T. Bands on the sides of your legs and rolling the quads. ( No Pain, No Gain ) :54:

Yogabliss, Jasmine, Laura and 4 others like this

I might try it before yoga in that case, maybe loosen up the hamstrings a bit. Awesome, I'm excited now  :D  Thanks MrBaloonHands.

I received notification that it was shipped early yesterday, with any luck I may even receive it today!

MrBalloonHands likes this

HI Jasmine,

I have used a foam roller for years. I use it primarily every day before workouts or sports. It's a great way to loosen the body before training. It helps break up the muscles fibers and connective tissues before putting your body through a vigorous workout. It can also help with over all body maintenance and flexibility. But don't get me wrong, I don't know the exact scientific reason for why we roll out. It has always been a something I have been told I have to do by coaches and strength trainers prior to exercise. If you are not used to rolling out, your muscles will hurt a bit at first, but as you get used to it, the pain will go down. My fav is rolling out the I.T. Bands on the sides of your legs and rolling the quads. ( No Pain, No Gain ) :54:

One of my favorite analogies for why it is important to foam roll before we stretch is this: "if you have a rope with a knot in it and you pull you are just tightening the knot.  if you take out the knot and then pull the rope you are able to get a little more length in the rope"  I work as a physical therapist and have my patients using foam rollers/tennis balls/etc. to do soft tissue work before I have them stretch at home and that helps a lot of people understand.  You are working to loosen up a restricted area in the tissue before you stretch/work it out.  That said there are a lot of scientific theories about what may actually be going on...but we do not really know.

I like to foam roll my thoracic spine & my glutes and hamstrings before I practice yoga at home.  For the thoracic spine google "thoracic spine foam roll" I like to roll up and down ten times, then drop my hips and extend back over it, repeating 3-5times.  For the glutes I go into a figure-4 position sitting on the foam roller and lean to the leg that is crossed over and roll about 10 times up and down 3 rounds (holding 30seconds if I find a really tight muscle knot).  Hamstrings and quads are pretty straightfoward for positioning I think, and I like to divide the muscles into thirds.  So I will roll my top 1/3 of the quad 10 times, then the middle, then the bottom.  If you have questions about how to do it let me know, I teach foam rolling all the time at work.

EricaKaye, Jasmine and Vicky like this

Awesome!! Thank you so much. It sounds perfect for before yoga. I've been doing a bit of searching on YouTube, I'll definitely look up thoracic spine foam roll  :D

Does anyone have a good suggestion on what kind of foam roller to get?  I am realizing more and more that I need something since I have been working on my hamstring flexibility and I am quite sore today.  There are smooth ones and "rumble" ones.  And there are soft and firm ones.  And different lengths too.  I would also use it in on my back too.

Jasmine likes this

Does anyone have a good suggestion on what kind of foam roller to get?  I am realizing more and more that I need something since I have been working on my hamstring flexibility and I am quite sore today.  There are smooth ones and "rumble" ones.  And there are soft and firm ones.  And different lengths too.  I would also use it in on my back too.

I just recently found this new company from Germany who makes great rollers (Blackroll). They are the flat ones, I have used both flat and "rumble" ones and I don't notice a difference between them. I have also tried both soft and hard ones. I don't find the soft ones doing much of anything. You should get used to using the hard ones that will have the greater impact. They will hurt more on your muscles  :D . But without pain, you will not gain.  :24: The best part about these rollers are they are sooooo light. I also had the rumble orange one that you see a lot of and it is heavy. Not good for packing. Candace and I move and pack our bags for flights a lot and the Blackroll is so light, it hardly takes up any weight when you are trying to stay under the 50lbs flying limit. If you would ever travel with it. As I type this, I am realizing how strange my life is.  :5:

Here is a link for the hard one, is also comes with a DVD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5AC5MY/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00C5AC5MY&linkCode=as2&tag=yoga06c-20&linkId=RY62ZGQLTUJNAI4D

I also really like the sound of these little ball rollers that you could use for your back and calves/hamstrings, etc. Made by the same company.
KimK, Jasmine and Mamadances like this

If you just want a cheap one to see how it works: http://www.target.com/p/gaiam-restore-foam-roller-18-inch/-/A-13561631#prodSlot=medium_1_15&term=gaim I have one like this (I think mine was around $30 though, but I know it is a gaiam) I absolutely HATE, HATE, HATE using the foam roller, even though It helps so much. At the top of my IT band when I use it, I have actually had to fight tears it was so painful. BUT, it helps & as soon as you get that pain out you will feel way better.

My gyms foam roller does nothing b/c it's so cheap and old. I'll use a tennis ball or Medicine ball before I use that - just another option if you really become addicted to using it and don't have access to one at a point.

Jasmine and KimK like this

If you just want a cheap one to see how it works: http://www.target.com/p/gaiam-restore-foam-roller-18-inch/-/A-13561631#prodSlot=medium_1_15&term=gaim I have one like this (I think mine was around $30 though, but I know it is a gaiam) I absolutely HATE, HATE, HATE using the foam roller, even though It helps so much. At the top of my IT band when I use it, I have actually had to fight tears it was so painful. BUT, it helps & as soon as you get that pain out you will feel way better.

My gyms foam roller does nothing b/c it's so cheap and old. I'll use a tennis ball or Medicine ball before I use that - just another option if you really become addicted to using it and don't have access to one at a point.

Eek - mine is pretty cheap. I hope it works okay! I didn't want to fork out for an exxy one not knowing whether I'd like it or know how to use it. 

It still hasn't arrived. I've been checking the mail every day in hope. I'm so impatient haha! I'm thinking it might be here today, the seller actually sent it very quickly after I ordered, so something is holding the post up.

I just recently found this new company from Germany who makes great rollers (Blackroll). They are the flat ones, I have used both flat and "rumble" ones and I don't notice a difference between them. I have also tried both soft and hard ones. I don't find the soft ones doing much of anything. You should get used to using the hard ones that will have the greater impact. They will hurt more on your muscles  :D . But without pain, you will not gain.  :24: The best part about these rollers are they are sooooo light. I also had the rumble orange one that you see a lot of and it is heavy. Not good for packing. Candace and I move and pack our bags for flights a lot and the Blackroll is so light, it hardly takes up any weight when you are trying to stay under the 50lbs flying limit. If you would ever travel with it. As I type this, I am realizing how strange my life is.  :5:

Here is a link for the hard one, is also comes with a DVD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5AC5MY/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00C5AC5MY&linkCode=as2&tag=yoga06c-20&linkId=RY62ZGQLTUJNAI4D

I also really like the sound of these little ball rollers that you could use for your back and calves/hamstrings, etc. Made by the same company.

You may find this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028BO94M/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0028BO94M&linkCode=as2&tag=yoga06c-20&linkId=6TUPSZCRTIKY4JUG to be helpful for traveling.  I alternate using the two (foam roll and stick) and find the stick even works better sometimes.  Then you can use two tennis balls put in a sock to work the spine to substitute for the foam roll that way.  So much easier to pack up then a foam roller, at least for short trips.

yogafire likes this

You may find this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028BO94M/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0028BO94M&linkCode=as2&tag=yoga06c-20&linkId=6TUPSZCRTIKY4JUG to be helpful for traveling.  I alternate using the two (foam roll and stick) and find the stick even works better sometimes.  Then you can use two tennis balls put in a sock to work the spine to substitute for the foam roll that way.  So much easier to pack up then a foam roller, at least for short trips.

Yes, I actually bought one of those recently. I loved that it was much smaller. But after 1 month of use, it broke. So I wasn't too happy with the durability of it.  :(  Maybe I was too intense with my rolling.... :24:

So I ended up buying a Thera-roll, it was something I could buy locally and it was the firmest one I could find that was not the rumble roll (not sure if I am ready for that).  The company has a website with the different muscle groups to use it for and how.  I have used it a couple of times...it is pretty intense...intensely awesome  :24:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=21693896&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:21693896:16075084:EXERCISE&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120138600000282672&catargetid=120138600002758065&cadevice=c

Everyone's thoughts on what to look for with a foam roller were extremely helpful in my decision.  Thanks everyone!

Yes, I actually bought one of those recently. I loved that it was much smaller. But after 1 month of use, it broke. So I wasn't too happy with the durability of it.  :(  Maybe I was too intense with my rolling.... :24:

Wow that is insane.  Maybe it was a defective one?  We have them at my work they are used probably 4-5x/day minimum 4 days a week and they last for years. Either it was defective or you have some super human strength haha

Wow that is insane.  Maybe it was a defective one?  We have them at my work they are used probably 4-5x/day minimum 4 days a week and they last for years. Either it was defective or you have some super human strength haha

I'm thinking it was a combination of both.  :3:

Jasmine likes this

I just ran into this ARTICLE on foam rolling for those new to it. It will bring some insight to why it hurts so much to roll out as well. haha

Cheers!   :16:

oh awesome - thank you! I'm finding mine is only slightly painful on my sit bones, but nowhere else. I'm wondering if I bought one which isn't firm enough. Or perhaps I just have no idea what I'm doing  :lol:

I'm finding it handy for my upper back, and am holding my core tight while just laying over it, loosening up my upper back. 

MrBalloonHands and Laura like this

I didn't realize until nfenchak, Katie, and the article MrBalloonHands posted that foam rolling is the same concept as laying on a tennis ball to release trigger points. In the article MrBalloonHands cited, they talk about using lacrosse balls, which are really firm!  My physical therapist suggested tennis ball as a more approachable medium to release my shoulder and neck tension, as shown in the article in "Right photo: Lacrosse ball - shoulder blade").

I also bought a larger sized foam roller that I can fit my torso on to lay on top and do shoulder mobility exercises, such as snow angels and swimming.  Helps loosen me up if I don't have time to do a yoga session. So, I suppose since my leg muscles haven't been too tight, I haven't used the foam roller in the more traditional way, and instead use the tennis ball for my back.

MrBalloonHands and Jasmine like this

I just ran into this ARTICLE on foam rolling for those new to it. It will bring some insight to why it hurts so much to roll out as well. haha

Cheers!   :16:

Great article - just shared it with a bunch of runner friends. I also love the lacrosse ball for getting out knots - I've also tried exercise balls, but they don't always make them sturdy enough for rolling out the hips. The one at the gym I work at had a lot of wear and tear and I may or may not have put a crack in it..... :blush:

I just tried THE BEST foam roller http://rumbleroller.com/foam-rollers.html . I had some IT/Hip pain that was just not going away (my yoga practice has slowed down recently w/ all my kids Spring activities and trying to sell our house. I had an immediately quick burst of pain and then after about 3 rolls, my hip felt incredibly better. I'm going to buy the smaller one the next time I get a good Dicks sporting goods coupon

Jasmine and KimK like this