BCBilly

Straight Legs

5 posts in this topic

I'm really looking forward to having straight legs in my postures.   When I feel that I have stretched out my leg and I'm sure that it's straight, I look down to find that the knee is bent.   Even sitting with a straight back and my legs in front of me is pushing the envelope.   My legs feel as thought there are metal cables in there that will never stretch out.  

I will keep up my practice 5 days a week for 45 minutes each, with a lighter routine on the weekends.   I'll update at the start of February on any improvement.

I've been practicing yoga for a few years now, and I grew up a gymnast, and I still find my hamstrings are just that little bit too tight sometimes. 5 days a week should get you the result you're after, but even if your legs are never 100% straight you're still doing amazing things for your body :)

Yesterday I wrote the part below for another post. I copied it here since it seems helpful again. A long time ago I had short and tight hamstrings, I thought I was trying to do the impossible. Now I can just let my upper body hang from the hips. It feels so good. This is the posture that got me there, there are others that work as well. Welcome to the site BCBilly, British Columbia is a beautiful place. Namaste

Intense Side Stretch Pose (Parsvottanasana). The front knee can bend a little to focus the lengthening of the hamstrings either to the butt or the back of the knee. The back foot is angled slightly out to the side. If the hamstrings are pulled too hard they automatically pull back which makes lengthening very difficult. Contract the muscles on the front of the leg to relax the back side.

It is a very good pose and we can do it anywhere. 

Yogabliss and YogaByCandace like this

You're definitely not alone. I'm inflexible everywhere, but my hamstrings are where I notice it most; I'm Captain Bent-knees (lamest superhero ever) in pretty much any pose you can think of. I haven't noticed much improvement over time, but I've also never been able to keep up a consistent and focused practice.

I admire your disciplined approach and look forward to the update.

Yogabliss and blueswampmusic like this

About 3 months ago I decided to centre most of my yoga around the front splits.  So atm it's a lot of lunges and it's cousins.  But there's also that one where you go from a lunge and then straighten the leg back (sorry, don't know the name).  I have to say, I've found this one pose amazing in lengthening my sad hams.  Also, and I don't know if this is good practice or not, but I often do forward bend with really bent knees so my head is almost touching my shins, and then very gently and slowly straighten my legs (so it's sort of doing it all in reverse).  Again, I've found this really useful.