Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helenschki

Weight Talk And Weird Practice..

6 posts in this topic

I recently went to a yoga class which was a bit lett spiritual than I was used to and the teacher was a bit fibbling with her phone during practice checking the time and so on. The location was absolutely lovely, an African round hut (grass roof but open walls) meaning we were practicing in a circle all facing each other. Which was nice but also a bit weird since I am used to seeing backs of people.

Anyhow the teacher mentioned that Christmas time brought some belly issues and it was time to work on it now and then we did one sun salutation slowly and then six of those in high-speed (we were all experienced but could not really follow the tempo it was so fast).

I am a bit disappointed been looking forward to yoga for so long after a break of two months and the options are very limited here. But I will of course go on visiting this class and not judge it based on one class.

...but what do you think? Is weight talk and super fast sun salutations common practice?

This is interesting! I have practiced a few times in a circle or in strange orders (1/4 of the class facing different ways) and I always think it's a bit strange at first but kind of enjoy the change of scene... I once had a teacher talk about bellies (in terms of digestion) during Thanksgiving time and the flow was a lot of twists and that sort of thing. Sometimes I lead a few sun salutes super, super slow. Like in slow motion. It's really challenging and it also makes you really feel every little thing that's happening in the body. I do then speed it up but not so fast - just a regular pace? Do let us know how it develops as you continue to go - I'm always interested in hearing!! 

helenschki likes this

So I've been taking this class 5 times now and apart from people talking a lot during practice giggling and complaining during some of the movements I've realised that my biggest concern is the feeling of joining a tight knitted group and being an outsider.

And I think that when you get that sensation you directly feel uncomfortable and start seeing all the negatives. And it starts eating you up a bit. But it's good practice in terms of creating understanding for myself and others. To notice that I'm actually annoyed because the teacher corrected me so much and that's an ego issue I need to work on or I miss home and dislike everything that's not exactly like how my teacher at home did it. Or the lady who keeps bringing the attention to herself by constantly talking and giggling, she might be really lonely and hungry for validation and to be seen.

So although this class is not to my liking I'll finish the month I've paid for and use it as an opportunity to work on my ego issues and enjoy the good bits as well as try to be kinder in how I view my peers.

nfenchak, Jasmine, PaulaH and 3 others like this

Oh after weeks of searching I finally found my class at the back of a cultural centre. We are outside in a serene setting but under a roof if that makes sense. Very mixed group all quite experienced (I have like a 70 yr old lady next to me she is awesome) not too much chatter. The teacher is great always giving options on how to approach a pose in a less or more adanced way. And there's music :).