HopeJen

Weight Training

32 posts in this topic

I am new to yoga and am trying to find a balance with my workouts. I lift weights 6 days a week and also do cardio 2-3 times. I do 15-20 minutes of yoga a day but want to fit in some longer sessions each week also. How do you incorporate yoga into your fitness regimen or for other types of workouts into your yoga regimen

Jilliebabe and MrBalloonHands like this

Wow, 6 days a week!! That's impressive!! What kind of splits do you do?

I lift 2x/week (fully body each time) and do a bodyweight workout 1x/week (plus cardio 4x/week). On the days that I do a bodyweight workout, it will usually be about 30 minutes, followed by a 30 minute power yoga.

I also do restorative yoga every time I lift or do a long run. Candace's 30 minute restorative is my jam!

Finally, I often do yoga in the mornings just for 15 minutes or so to loosen up, energize, and start my day.

Yay! A new topic! 

In my current city, my gym is an hour and fifteen min away, so I really have to talk myself into going because it's like an all day event  :(

Recently, I've been doing more HIIT workouts - (jump rope is KILLER and I can do it from anywhere which I love), sprints at the track, and when I do make it to the gym I'll do a treadmill or bike HIIT workout (25 or 30 min sprint intervals) and then lift weights.

I'd love to hear more about your HIIT workouts. That's something I've always been curious about.

I love them because they're done fast! I used to do 45 min cardio sessions and my husband was like why are you doing that? It's not going to get you what you want to achieve. (He's against long-distance running because it burns muscle or something instead of burning fat? I have no idea.) Anyway! My jump rope hiit routine is here, and for other hiit routines I just use youtube. Search fitness blender. It's a husband and wife team, and I like that they have a variety of lengths and are always switching it up. 

I try run a few days a week and incorporate bodyweight workouts. I like doing push ups, burpees, squats etc. I use Tone It Up workouts and some of Sarah Fits videos. They are really easy to incorporate into your schedule.

Jilliebabe, YogaByCandace and Turi like this

I started yoga because my weight training took away my flexibility.

I lift 3 days a week and now do yoga 3-4 days a week.

Today was my first Yin Yoga class.

I didn't even know this existed and now I want to go every day!

It was an hour of intense stretching and it hurt and felt good at the same time.

Jilliebabe likes this

Loving my elliptical at home right now because you can get an intense workout in less time.  Also mixing in weights with my weekly yoga classes and bike riding around the beaches here.

YogaByCandace likes this

I was a half marathon runner, but in January, a foot injury brought that to a screeching halt.  I have been unable to run or even walk for cardio exercise since.  Someone mentioned a rebounder (mini trampoline) to me, so I tried theirs out to see if it would aggravate my foot.  It did not.  I have been rebounding for 2 1/2 weeks and I am loving it.   I love the results on my entire body and I am only up to 10 minutes per day.  So far, my foot does not seem to be worse because of this exercise.  

Does anyone else use rebounding as a cardio workout?  I am very new to it and would love some tips/tricks.

MrBalloonHands likes this

I was a half marathon runner, but in January, a foot injury brought that to a screeching halt.  I have been unable to run or even walk for cardio exercise since.  Someone mentioned a rebounder (mini trampoline) to me, so I tried theirs out to see if it would aggravate my foot.  It did not.  I have been rebounding for 2 1/2 weeks and I am loving it.   I love the results on my entire body and I am only up to 10 minutes per day.  So far, my foot does not seem to be worse because of this exercise.  

Does anyone else use rebounding as a cardio workout?  I am very new to it and would love some tips/tricks.

Rebounding trampoline is just a mini trampoline right? I have heard awesome things about jumping in general. It's apparently really good to get the lymph moving, circulation going, and obviously gets the heart rate up as well. 

I'd love to hear more about your HIIT workouts. That's something I've always been curious about.

I definitely recommend the Purely Twins HIIT workouts! They have all kinds that focus on different body parts, mixing in strength, AMRAP, etc - I do them once a week ish and always get a killer workout.

AngelaDarling and roxychalk like this

Right now I am doing Kayla Itsines's Bikini Body Guide. It is intense! Every workout you get two circuits with four exercises in each. You do each circuit for seven minutes and repeat for a total of 28 minutes. People have amazing transformations using it, but I am using it just to tone more. And you don't need a gym to do it, they are mostly body weight exercises. There's only three of these strength workouts per week, and I do light cardio as well.

Other than that, I take at least one yoga class a week, and try to do some yoga every day, even for ten minutes.

I started doing crossfit a year ago, which includes some strength and cardio training.  I try do that three times a week and go to yoga classes twice a week.  Doesn't always happen.  I also like to include some little dose of yoga everyday, like maybe some forward bends at the office or breathing exercises.

YogaByCandace likes this

i do a nice run outside maybe once a week, i used to run cross country when i was younger but i honestly got bored with it overtime

i prefer treadmill interval workouts

i do jump rope circuits or just jump rope for cardio (45 sec on/15 sec on for 20-40 minutes)

most workouts i find are on youtube, usually fitnessblender because they do a lot of hiit, plyometrics, weight training, etc

i generally do one of the 4 types of exercise i listed 4-6 times a week, i try to mix it up and make sure strength training is included in the workouts...i'll never just go lift weights...i really need it in a workout to follow

i incorporate yoga maybe 4 days a week for 15-30 minutes after workouts or on day offs from cardio & intense workouts...depending on the difficulty of the workout i completed, i find one of candace's videos that will help alleviate tightness or videos that completely ignore that muscle group because im too tired lol

YogaByCandace likes this

i do a nice run outside maybe once a week, i used to run cross country when i was younger but i honestly got bored with it overtime

i prefer treadmill interval workouts

i do jump rope circuits or just jump rope for cardio (45 sec on/15 sec on for 20-40 minutes)

most workouts i find are on youtube, usually fitnessblender because they do a lot of hiit, plyometrics, weight training, etc

i generally do one of the 4 types of exercise i listed 4-6 times a week, i try to mix it up and make sure strength training is included in the workouts...i'll never just go lift weights...i really need it in a workout to follow

i incorporate yoga maybe 4 days a week for 15-30 minutes after workouts or on day offs from cardio & intense workouts...depending on the difficulty of the workout i completed, i find one of candace's videos that will help alleviate tightness or videos that completely ignore that muscle group because im too tired lol

femmefatalekris, could you tell me more about your treadmill interval workouts? I like running, but I don't like running outside when it's getting cold out. And I get bored really quickly running on a treadmill haha. A treadmill interval workout sounds like it would be a good change of pace for me.

femmefatalekris, could you tell me more about your treadmill interval workouts? I like running, but I don't like running outside when it's getting cold out. And I get bored really quickly running on a treadmill haha. A treadmill interval workout sounds like it would be a good change of pace for me.

hi i can just post examples of some of the workouts i do...they generally involve mixes between sprinting and jogging, sprinting and walking hills, changing the pace & adding strength training

below are my favorite workouts...i find a lot on fitsugar & pinterest...

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/High-Intensity-Running-Strength-Training-Workout-31142325

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/How-Burn-500-Calories-Treadmill-7194144

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/45-Minute-Treadmill-Interval-Workout-Fight-Belly-Fat-23165725

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Running-Strength-Training-Interval-Workout-23563264

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Intense-20-Minute-Workout-From-Bob-Harper-23286438

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/45-Minute-Treadmill-Pyramid-Intervals-26682480

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/30-Minute-Treadmill-Workout-33778091

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Print-400-Calorie-Tush-Toning-Interval-Workout-25678881?fullsite=1

ok im sorry i posted so many, but i really have many favorites lol

hi i can just post examples of some of the workouts i do...they generally involve mixes between sprinting and jogging, sprinting and walking hills, changing the pace & adding strength training

below are my favorite workouts...i find a lot on fitsugar & pinterest...

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/High-Intensity-Running-Strength-Training-Workout-31142325

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/How-Burn-500-Calories-Treadmill-7194144

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/45-Minute-Treadmill-Interval-Workout-Fight-Belly-Fat-23165725

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Running-Strength-Training-Interval-Workout-23563264

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Intense-20-Minute-Workout-From-Bob-Harper-23286438

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/45-Minute-Treadmill-Pyramid-Intervals-26682480

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/30-Minute-Treadmill-Workout-33778091

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Print-400-Calorie-Tush-Toning-Interval-Workout-25678881?fullsite=1

ok im sorry i posted so many, but i really have many favorites lol

Aaahhh this is so awesome. I just pinned them all. I'm excited to get running with these and now I can't make any more excuses haha. Thanks for sending me all these! =)

femmefatalekris likes this

I started doing crossfit a year ago, which includes some strength and cardio training.  I try do that three times a week and go to yoga classes twice a week.  Doesn't always happen.  I also like to include some little dose of yoga everyday, like maybe some forward bends at the office or breathing exercises.

Nice, how do you like crossfit? How does it work, I've always been confused about it - it seems like people work out in their group, so can you only attend the crossfit facility at a specific time? Do you do your own thing or does the leader of the group put you all through a workout? Can you give us a run down of how it works?

Anyone out there with large breasts and the pain to go along with it?

Yoga and swimming are the only two activities/times where I don't feel pain. 

Things you have done to help ease this? I do go to a chiropractor and looove massage, but I'm looking for tips along with that that have worked for you.

Mamadances likes this

Nice, how do you like crossfit? How does it work, I've always been confused about it - it seems like people work out in their group, so can you only attend the crossfit facility at a specific time? Do you do your own thing or does the leader of the group put you all through a workout? Can you give us a run down of how it works?

I really love crossfit and I've gotten a lot stronger since starting it.  This has really improved my ability to do the more athletic or strength orientated yoga poses.  But anyway I'm happy to share more about it!  So rather than a traditional gym where you just show up whenever and do your own thing, it is much more class like and a class takes about an hour.  Some gyms do have open gym time but the focus is mostly on the group workouts.

Everyday the head coach at our gym posts a suggested warm up, mobility (basically stretching), strength or skill work, and the actual workout for that day (aka WOD among crossfitters).  This information is usually posted on the gym's website the night before and on a white board or screen at the gym itself. So if you show up for the 9AM class you'll start doing the warm up, at my gym the warm up is usually run or row a certain distance.  Once everyone has warmed up we do some mobility work as a group, which usually involves some stretching or foam rolling the muscles the WOD will be targeting.  Then onto doing some strength training or working on a particular movement.  If the WOD involves a barbell movement this is when the coach will go over it with everyone and then people work on that particular movement for probably about 15 minutes.  So you might be doing a couple sets of backsquats or maybe focusing on your form for wallballs.  Lastly there is the WOD itself.  The workout also includes different levels/modifications to help you figure out what to do based on your own skill level.  So there would be suggested weights if there's a barbell movement involved or various modifications if its a bodyweight movement.  Once everyone has the equipment they need set up we all start the WOD at the same time.  It is timed so you're generally trying to do it as fast as you can but everyone goes at their pace.  Classes generally end with lots of high fives and fist pumps.

So for example I went this morning, and started with a 800m run to warm up.  I did some foam rolling while others finished their warm ups and then onto mobility.  This morning's mobility included doing some lunges, prayer squats, and some other things I can't remember.  Then we did skill work, which was for 6 minutes every minute we were suppose to do 3-6 strict pull ups with our focus being on good form.  I can't do an actually pullup (yet!) so I worked on pullup negatives and lowering myself slowly with control.  Then our workout was a 12 minute AMRAP of a 200meter run, 8 pullups (which I modified to do with a band), and 12 lunges while holding a weighted plate (which I did with a 25lb plate but you picked your weight based on the suggests listed or asking the coach).  So basically, I tired to do as many rounds of those movements as I could in 12 minutes.  Once we were done everyone can write how they did on the board and give each other high fives.

Rebounding trampoline is just a mini trampoline right? I have heard awesome things about jumping in general. It's apparently really good to get the lymph moving, circulation going, and obviously gets the heart rate up as well. 

Yes, it is a mini trampoline.  The research I have done revealed that it is considered weight bearing exercise that will help those with osteoporosis or trying to prevent it.  It does get the lymph system moving since it doesn't have a pump like the heart for the blood, the lymph system relies on movement.  It exercises every cell in your body and does get the heart rate up.  I am now 4 weeks in and my leg muscles are getting so toned and strong again.  I am up to 10 minutes a day and started doing the workouts on the DVD provided.  OMW!  :21: They are GREAT workouts for the entire body!  I did the Bounce Blast last night and my legs are still humming.   :wacko: In 10 minutes I got a better workout than 30 minutes on the treadmill and it is WAY more FUN.  

Hi everyone! 

I'm working on building my strength (aside for yoga), any recommendations for weight lifting? 

I do a program called RIP - Repetition, Intensity, Performance

It includes squats, lunges, chest press, back and shoulders and then biceps, triceps and abs.

It's 3 days a week and fabulous!

Ayala and YogaByCandace like this

I'm a big fan of New Rules of Lifting for Women (ignore the silly name, lol). You can buy it as a Kindle book, I think (or a real book), but the first couple of workouts are online if you want to try them out. It gradually builds up from simple moves to harder/more compound movements. I really like the program!

Ayala likes this