HopeJen

Weight Training

32 posts in this topic

I'm a big fan of New Rules of Lifting for Women (ignore the silly name, lol). You can buy it as a Kindle book, I think (or a real book), but the first couple of workouts are online if you want to try them out. It gradually builds up from simple moves to harder/more compound movements. I really like the program!

Thanks! That's really helpful! I'll check it out!

I find yoga to give the perfect balance to my weight training. Not only has the increase in flexibility helped with my squats, but the energy and strength exerted through powerlifting is completely counterbalanced with yoga. 

Right now I'm trying the Smolov power lift program to increase the weight on my squats. It's 4 days a week of lifting, and I like to incorporate 3 to 4 yoga classes in there. I'm a student and SO busy, but finding time for exercise and wellness is important to me.  :P

YogaByCandace likes this

Does anyone here train lower body with weights? I'm trying to grow more muscle (especially in the behind haha) however I found it painful to do yoga after! :( My knees were so tight and they hurt quite a bit. I suppose I went too heavy with weights, I started last week. I'm doing this type of training twice a week. Does anyone have any good recommended exercises for the legs a glutes?

EricaKaye likes this

Anyone out there with large breasts and the pain to go along with it?

Yoga and swimming are the only two activities/times where I don't feel pain. 

Things you have done to help ease this? I do go to a chiropractor and looove massage, but I'm looking for tips along with that that have worked for you.

I have large breasts for my size. It's strange but i never felt pain, or at least I didn't realize it. I have a couple of suggestions that have helped me!

1. I do yoga, I know you do too but i did this yoga video serioes (the name escapes me right now...) and it had a lot of cobra, super man, and other poses that make your back stronger...DO THEM! now that my back is stonger I can tell I'm standing taller and my shoulders hurt less. 

2. get goooooood bra. I know for yoga most people get light support bras because you're supposed to be free. All my sports bras are High impact, maybe a couple are medium support, like my tata tamer from lululemon. you can get fitted for a sports bra at macys or nordstrom and it is going to cost a lot, but it's totally worth it.Once you know what you like you can search online and find some for cheap. (also if you fall in love with a really expensive one, sometimes certain colors go on sale !) 

I know these aren't a lot but I hope they were helpful! I run all the time in the spring and summer and I never have any trouble anymore. 

I do CrossFit, yoga and weight lifting:

Here is my weight lifting routine:

- chin-up: 3 x max

- deadlift: 5 x5

- bench press: 3 x 6-8

- bent over barbell rowing: 3 x 8

- squats: 3 x 6-8

- military press: 2 x 8

I currently do horseback riding (English Equitation mostly. I'm learning a little bit of dressage and starting to get into jumping), yoga, YouTube Krav Maga workouts, and walking my dog.

When I do my horseback riding lessons at the NFP, I tack up and down and ride my horse. If you aren't familiar with tacking horses, it requires a lot of strength and endurance, especially if you have to groom them first, which I have to do with Kadena (the horse I ride) as she often isn't used in lessons before I come. The procedure often goes as thus: using a hoof pick to clean out debris in the hooves (you must get the horse to give you their feet first. You must hold the hoof in one hand, clean it with the pick in the other), with horses with large white areas such as Kadena - you need to use charcoal to lift any noticeable stains then use a curry brush to dig out dead fur, sand, dust, hay, etc. A hard brush then sweeps this debris away. This is followed by a soft brush to smooth the hair. A comb or hair brush is used to detangle the mane and tail (my favorite part.) That entails grooming. To tack, I put on a basic saddle blanket and even it, then a fleece saddle pad followed by the saddle, which weighs about 30 pounds (it's heavy.) The girth is strapped onto one side, I walk over to the other and strap it to the saddle on the other side, then tighten accordingly. Since Kadena wears a nose strap, I take off her harness, affix her bridle that way, then adjust my stirrup leathers, then I put her harness on her bridle hook and take her out to the arena to ride. It takes about 30 minutes. Good strength training. I also stretch out her legs before I ride her so she doesn't injure herself and stretch them after once I've got her tack off.