cegriest

Advice For Someone Interested In Teacher Training

10 posts in this topic

I've been practicing pretty regularly for almost two years now.  I am very interested in becoming a yoga teacher when my youngest starts school full time which will be another year and a half from now.  I am trying not to let my fears get in the way of my dreams.    I am not as flexible as I would like to be and that is putting a lot of doubts/fears in my head.  Just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips of things I could be working on now to prepare for a teacher training. Obviously, I will continue to practice regularly and hope the flexibilty comes but is there anything else? Books or videos that would be helpful? I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give me. Thanks! :)

I've been practicing pretty regularly for almost two years now.  I am very interested in becoming a yoga teacher when my youngest starts school full time which will be another year and a half from now.  I am trying not to let my fears get in the way of my dreams.    I am not as flexible as I would like to be and that is putting a lot of doubts/fears in my head.  Just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips of things I could be working on now to prepare for a teacher training. Obviously, I will continue to practice regularly and hope the flexibilty comes but is there anything else? Books or videos that would be helpful? I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give me. Thanks! :)

I'm going to answer this in the next Ask a Yoga Question because I know you're not the only one who has this question, so stay tuned. In the meantime, this collection of books may be helpful to you and there are some flexibility books in this collection you might be interested in as well. 

PaulaH and Yogabliss like this

Hi,

Don't worry about being flexible or not. It will come in time. I did my teacher training course last summer with Arhanta Yoga Ashrams and I was not flexible at all! Four weeks of intensive courses, 2 hours of asana class every day and also doing a lot of yoga during the how to teach classes (practical exercices and really giving classes) I was much more flexible then I ever was before! Besides, you learn that a yoga teacher doesn't have to master everything perfectly. What is more important is how you teach, give allignments, corrections and modifications,... not how you do yoga yourself.

i think if u really want to be a yoga teacher its doesn't matter you have flexible Body or not once you will start your Body Become Habitual OF it.

I've just finished teacher training and I would say if you feel that you're ready to do it and the timing is right, do it. Don't let anything stop you. It's an amazing way to deepen your personal practice and I've seen some amazing breakthroughs in just one week with extensive daily practise. Honestly, at the end of your training, you don't need to teach. You can have the qualification, maybe go away and gain confidence and teach some family or friends and you'll know when you're ready to teach other people.

Also, don't let fear and perfectionism stand in the way. I've only been teaching for a few weeks and I put this massive wall up saying "Oh, I'll never be up to the standard of my favourite teachers so I can't teach." And as soon as you do this, you set yourself up for failure and unhappiness with your efforts. 

Finally, I've heard of some teachers (mainly males) who aren't very flexible e.g. they demonstrate paschimottanasana (seated forward bend) with a strap. Now, I've never had a teacher who can't touch their toes but I know that it's very reassuring for many students because they can see that you're on the same journey as them. There's a mentality that people who do yoga are flexible and all yoga teachers are extrememely flexible and students are very intimidated because the teacher is folding themselves in half in front of them and they can barely touch their toes. It's great for students to see someone else, especially a teacher, find the poses challenging and watch their progress because it's very inspiring for them and encourages them to keep at it because they can also progress in the poses if they put in the effort. 

I hope you do it, even if it is just for your own practice. It's an amazing opportunity. But it's also not going anywhere. If you don't feel ready, you don't have to do it now.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I have just started YTT.  I have always been somewhat flexible but not anywhere near where I want to be.  I didn't let that stop me. I would say go for it! 

Meugenio likes this

I'm not exceptionally flexible, and my hips and shoulders are very tight. During my first day at teacher training we went around the circle and shared our fears about the training. The most common fears that were shared had to do with strength, flexibility, and other physical limitations. What we learned that day is that yoga is about so much more than the postures, and that it's not about whether you can (ever) get into scorpion or full lotus. If you feel ready for the program, that's what matters (unless your desired program has requirements about such things). My experience throughout the training has reinforced this. Best of luck to you!

I'm just about to start my YTT, and i'm not anywhere near as flexible as some people that i go to classes with, but of course that will come with time. If you have confidence in what you can teach comfortably, you can learn and grow along with your students. Good Luck!!