Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helenschki

A Perfect Class

4 posts in this topic

To my happy surprise I saw that my gym offered a yoga class and decided to try it although I'm already attending a different class twice a week.

I'm so happy I did. We were only two persons myself and a complete beginner and the teacher who declared she taught vinyasa flow, my absolute favourite. And she started class by asking us what our expectations were which I really liked and I started to think about what an ideal class is to me. So these are my preferences:

A yoga studio with natural light or dimmed lighting.

Not too full.

Candles lit.

Starts with meditation.

Music playing (suitable to practice)

Vinyasa flow with nice combinations of poses and movementse so you really get to flow.

Very little talk

Breathing exercises

Head stand and arm balances opportunities to challenge yourself and try new poses

A kind and welcoming atmosphere

At least 10min shavasana

...and a teacher who knows her stuff, is understanding, pedagogical and sensitive to students need.

What are your preferences?

My local studio is overlooking a lake, which is seriously amazing because one side is a glass wall so all you see is lake while you're meditating or doing yoga. I absolutely love it.

I 100% agree on natural lighting and candles. 

I like a silent savasana, there is one teacher at that particular studio who goes through what you should be thinking / feeling while you're lying there but I really just like to lie in silence personally. I should add I really like that teacher and go out of my way to attend her classes because her teaching more than makes up for the guided savasana, and I know other people really like the instruction during savasana. 

I like to attend a mixture of classes, hot, not hot, flow, slow. So a studio which offers a mix is good.

I feel my dream class (which I haven't found yet) would be a yin yoga class, in a very dark, warm room (purely lit by candles) with a really softly-spoken teacher.

My local studio is overlooking a lake, which is seriously amazing because one side is a glass wall so all you see is lake while you're meditating or doing yoga. I absolutely love it.

I 100% agree on natural lighting and candles. 

I like a silent savasana, there is one teacher at that particular studio who goes through what you should be thinking / feeling while you're lying there but I really just like to lie in silence personally. I should add I really like that teacher and go out of my way to attend her classes because her teaching more than makes up for the guided savasana, and I know other people really like the instruction during savasana. 

I like to attend a mixture of classes, hot, not hot, flow, slow. So a studio which offers a mix is good.

I feel my dream class (which I haven't found yet) would be a yin yoga class, in a very dark, warm room (purely lit by candles) with a really softly-spoken teacher.

omg that sounds so amazing having such a view.
Jasmine likes this