allieoxenfree

Best Progressions?

25 posts in this topic

I have practiced yoga off and on for... probably around 10 years now, and I feel really comfortable and confident with all of the basics (though of course always trying to go deeper, stay connected with my breath, and improve my practice!). However, I'm hoping to kind of gradually build into some more difficult poses. I know Candace has some good progressions on her blog--anybody have any suggestions for where I should start?

MrBalloonHands likes this

Where are your strengths? If you're feeling strong with upper body and core, I would suggest working on crow pose maybe. Crow felt like the first "big" pose for me - just so different from all the others I had in my toolbox.

Nix likes this

I really struggle with my upper body strength. I'm slowly building this so Crow is off limits to me. Any other intermediate poses that I could work on that don't involve my upper body?

Thanks, Katie

laceyd and YogaByCandace like this

I really struggle with my upper body strength. I'm slowly building this so Crow is off limits to me. Any other intermediate poses that I could work on that don't involve my upper body?

Thanks, Katie

I'll answer this in more detail on the Ask a Yoga Question post, but I would check out locust pose, bridge (and maybe wheel depending on your upper body flexibility)...

AngelaDarling and laceyd like this

I'll answer this in more detail on the Ask a Yoga Question post, but I would check out locust pose, bridge (and maybe wheel depending on your upper body flexibility)...

Thanks Candace!! :)

I've been practicing for about six months and have noticed such a difference in, well in my whole life really! I have now gotten to the point where "beginner" feels a little too easy, but "power flows" are just plain humbling experiences! I feel like I need to challenge myself to stick with trying to do harder poses, but the frustration of not being able to get there yet makes me feel like running back to the safety of beginner. PS. I struggle with wheel pose, or its modified version the most, as my upper body strength seems to just not be there!

Turi likes this

I've been practicing for about six months and have noticed such a difference in, well in my whole life really! I have now gotten to the point where "beginner" feels a little too easy, but "power flows" are just plain humbling experiences! I feel like I need to challenge myself to stick with trying to do harder poses, but the frustration of not being able to get there yet makes me feel like running back to the safety of beginner. PS. I struggle with wheel pose, or its modified version the most, as my upper body strength seems to just not be there!

It's so nice to hear someone's in the same position!

ssteppach likes this

I would consider myself a newbie even though I have been practicing for a few months.  I have really tight hamstrings, right now I have a slight bend in my knees when in downward dog and cannot get my feet flat on the floor yet.  Any poses that will improve downward dog.  PS I would love to be able to do mermaid pose one day, I told my fiance that when I can I am going to reward myself with a pair of teeki pants :)  If there are any poses that will help with before I get to mermaid pose, I would love to hear them :)

KateR, desi9 and YogaByCandace like this

KimK I'm in the same boat! I just started practicing yoga recently.  I really struggle with my hamstrings...super tight. I was actually wondering what the best way is to modify downward dog if I can't get my feet flat?

KimK likes this

KimK I'm in the same boat! I just started practicing yoga recently.  I really struggle with my hamstrings...super tight. I was actually wondering what the best way is to modify downward dog if I can't get my feet flat?

I have SUPER tight hamstrings, too.  It took me forever to get my feet flat in downward dog.  I started on my toes, and would very gently stretch the hammies by lowering my heels just a bit each time.  I've found that floor stretches like seated forward bend, and the wide-angled seated forward bend really help loosen them up.

desi9, KimK, laceyd and 1 other like this

I would consider myself a newbie even though I have been practicing for a few months.  I have really tight hamstrings, right now I have a slight bend in my knees when in downward dog and cannot get my feet flat on the floor yet.  Any poses that will improve downward dog.  PS I would love to be able to do mermaid pose one day, I told my fiance that when I can I am going to reward myself with a pair of teeki pants :)  If there are any poses that will help with before I get to mermaid pose, I would love to hear them :)

Tips for mermaid - just work on lengthening the hamstrings, hips, and quads. Try working these poses for hips into your practice and see if it helps. :)

This is a great graphic featuring my husband, haha, that shows how to do downward dog properly even if your heels don't reach the ground. Basically you want to make sure you're doing all you can in your hands/arms/shoulders so they're in proper alignment and then keep actively pressing the heels toward the ground. You could also work this video into your practice and see how it helps the legs.

KimW, laceyd, Laura and 2 others like this

I'm a newb, too! What keeps me going is even though I may not be able to do forward folds perfectly, or have my heels on the floor in downward dog, there's always something that feels better than the week before. It might just be in my head but who cares?! I recently started working on my strength and have been able to hold crow pose! I feel so legit now! 

I'm a newb, too! What keeps me going is even though I may not be able to do forward folds perfectly, or have my heels on the floor in downward dog, there's always something that feels better than the week before. It might just be in my head but who cares?! I recently started working on my strength and have been able to hold crow pose! I feel so legit now! 

I feel the same way--it seems that I feel a bit more flexible or able to go deeper in a pose during every practice. It's nice to feel that progress! I'm not sure my heels will ever touch the floor in downward dog though...I never feel progress there! haha

fshliz09 likes this

I have SUPER tight hamstrings, too.  It took me forever to get my feet flat in downward dog.  I started on my toes, and would very gently stretch the hammies by lowering my heels just a bit each time.  I've found that floor stretches like seated forward bend, and the wide-angled seated forward bend really help loosen them up.

Thank you :)

I feel the same way--it seems that I feel a bit more flexible or able to go deeper in a pose during every practice. It's nice to feel that progress! I'm not sure my heels will ever touch the floor in downward dog though...I never feel progress there! haha

Lol, it took me about 6 YEARS to feel like I was making progress in that area (I started practicing yoga with my hamstrings so tight I could only bend over and extend my hands about halfway down my shins). My heels are, like, a centimeter off the floor now if I'm in a comfortable, relaxed position--so I think it's possible for anyone! :)

Tips for mermaid - just work on lengthening the hamstrings, hips, and quads. Try working these poses for hips into your practice and see if it helps. :)

This is a great graphic featuring my husband, haha, that shows how to do downward dog properly even if your heels don't reach the ground. Basically you want to make sure you're doing all you can in your hands/arms/shoulders so they're in proper alignment and then keep actively pressing the heels toward the ground. You could also work this video into your practice and see how it helps the legs.

Thanks so much!

Ohhh I feel the same way, I asked Candace about this in one of her ask a yoga questions some time ago and she suggested I take a picture every three weeks. oh my goodness....my first picture is comical compared to now :3: ! My heels still don't touch but at least I can see it has slowly gotten better!

Ohhh I feel the same way, I asked Candace about this in one of her ask a yoga questions some time ago and she suggested I take a picture every three weeks. oh my goodness....my first picture is comical compared to now :3: ! My heels still don't touch but at least I can see it has slowly gotten better!

That's so great you documented your progress.  I used to do some yoga from on demand TV programs at home, and my husband wasn't actively watching but was there when I practiced. Now he sees me do a few poses at home, and he says "Now you look more like the guy on TV!"  It makes me so curious though as to how I used to look because I didn't feel bad then at all!

If you don't mind me asking, how do you take pictures of yourself (e.g. tripod, webcam, phone camera or digital camera with a self-timer?), or do you ask someone to do it for you?

YogaByCandace likes this

Kim, Mermaid pose is my goal right now too! looking for tips is actually how I stumbled across Candace's videos, website and this forum.  I'm really glad I did.  I just took my first class at the beginning of September, so I think I've got a ways to go. I'll be rooting for you to get there!  

PS- I think I need to check out Teeki pants  ;)

YogaByCandace and KimK like this

Love the idea of taking pictures and documenting your progress.  It's also a great way to make sure you're doing the poses correctly. Thanks for this idea!

YogaByCandace likes this

That's a good idea. What poses do you take pictures of?

YogaByCandace likes this

I feel the same way! I can do more and more challenging poses, but I still need to check every body part for alignment one after the other, so the flows, that these poses are in are just way too fast and challenging for me - I feel like while I get one body part right, all the others are just living their own life outside of my control and before I get to them it´s on to next pose. I would like to set a goal for my practice, but I´m not sure how to go about it. 

Kim, Mermaid pose is my goal right now too! looking for tips is actually how I stumbled across Candace's videos, website and this forum.  I'm really glad I did.  I just took my first class at the beginning of September, so I think I've got a ways to go. I'll be rooting for you to get there!  

PS- I think I need to check out Teeki pants  ;)

Awesome, I will be rooting for you too  ^_^ Teeki pants is the brand and Northern Lights is the style, I saw it on one Candace's posts and I love the pattern.

That's a good idea. What poses do you take pictures of?

I usually take a picture of down dog just to be able to see the difference. I also started taking pictures of wheel pose because I have trouble lifting into it.