Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anahata

Falling From Headstand

4 posts in this topic

Without getting hurt!

I noticed some posts about fear or maybe even getting hurt a little from this.

In headstand (Sirsasana) we are not falling from any height. We are already on the ground so relax when it happens. If you know you are going to fall don’t try to fight it just let it happen and try to relax. When we try to fight it that’s when we get hurt. The very first thing to remember is to separate the fingers, pull the hands apart immediately. The head will roll over the fingers and crunch them if they are in the way. Don’t fall over like a dead tree. Our center of gravity is near our belly or hips. Try thinking of pulling the center of gravity down to the ground as quickly as possible to where your head is. The hips won’t land where the head is but this action will curl you up into a ball and just roll out. Just like nothing ever happened. You can even cross the legs on the way down and end up sitting in Sukhasana.

Now if that is too much at first just fall over but bend the knees to land on the feet. That will take out some of the shock of landing.

I have fallen out of headstand and all inversions a hundred times, maybe hundreds of times and never been hurt. Once you are able to relax it makes any pose so much easier. Find Savasana in every pose.

If you know other ways that are working good for you please share.

Namaste

Edit January 22: The above is for falling backwards. For falling forwards, the same way we got into the pose, simply drop a foot to the ground.
Robbie likes this

Is it possible to share a video of either you or someone else doing this? I'm finding it hard for me to visualize this since I am still practicing about a foot away from a wall.  

Does bending your knees work if you fall backwards too (heels approaching ground first), or does the act of bending knees make you fall forward (toes approaching ground first)?

Most of my discomfort and fear from rolling over on my head is due to long-term neck / shoulder injury. The other day I realized I could potentially roll over while touching my head to the ground in Prasarita Padottanasana B (Standing Straddle Forward Bend variation B ).

I added an edit line to my post above. 

Youtube has some videos. Search "falling out of headstand" and "off the wall: falling through head and handstand" I just watched them and they are the same as my post above. The one with the race car example is really good.

Yogafire, a long-term neck / shoulder injury? Is it safe for you to do poses that expose your neck? Wouldn't want to see you get injured further.

Yogafire, a long-term neck / shoulder injury? Is it safe for you to do poses that expose your neck? Wouldn't want to see you get injured further.

Thanks for confirming the videos. I didn't want to misinterpret.

I was hoping to apply this for forearm stand eventually, but I am not moving away from the wall anytime soon.  I didn't realize going down in other poses also exposed my neck.  Long-term is a little over a year, so I don't know if I blew it out of proportion. I suspect my stabilizing shoulder muscles have atrophied, so I am slowly trying to build back up my strength.  It is just tough to heal when I have long hours at work sitting at a desk, so I am trying to also improve my posture and take more frequent breaks.