Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pony

Yoga With Kids

11 posts in this topic

I've wanted to get my boys (11 & 14) to do yoga with me for a while now. So I figured today it's a good day to start, finally! Of course it is not going to be anywhere near the calming experience it usually is when no one is home, but we had a great time! We laughed and chatted about the poses named after animals, I adjusted their postures a little, and fell over a lot. 12 minutes kicked their butts! But in the end my 14 y/o showed me up with his headstand...

post-157-0-59284000-1421888450_thumb.jpg

That's so cute!!! I find kids are so naturally fearless, sometimes things like headstands are nothing to them...then there's us freaking out at the thought of going upside down  :lol: I remember being young and doing all sorts of flips and handstands with ease. Like it was nothing!!

My 8 year old son does karate and I try to get him to do some yoga with me for his balance and flexibility but he grunts and groans the entire time, thinking you're supposed to really push the limits  :lol:

I think with boys, especially athletic or just wild ones, you need to make it more of a fun power practice. I bribed my 14 year old take a class with me a year ago. While he said it was just ok and boring, he actually did really well. His gym teacher will have them do some poses from time to time - which I think is so awesome! I need to try to get my 10 year old to do some - I think he'd be a natural at the inversions.

That's awesome you guys!

I'm thinking of finding some poses that they can do easily and putting together a sequence to do with them next time. My 14 y/o (as seen above) was in tumbling and was a total natural. We are trying to encourage him to do track in 9th grade and I think doing yoga would really help out with his stability and flexibility.

I've wanted to get my boys (11 & 14) to do yoga with me for a while now. So I figured today it's a good day to start, finally! Of course it is not going to be anywhere near the calming experience it usually is when no one is home, but we had a great time! We laughed and chatted about the poses named after animals, I adjusted their postures a little, and fell over a lot. 12 minutes kicked their butts! But in the end my 14 y/o showed me up with his headstand...

This is SO awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!!  :D

I took my boys (12 and 9) to a few 30 minute power classes with me over the summer. They are very athletic and expected it to be super easy...boy were they surprised when they were sweating within the first few minutes! It was a fun bonding experience for us and I'm hoping they will go with me again when school is out this summer. My 9 year old was excited when the P.E. teacher did a yoga unit in gym class this year and he got to demonstrate since he already knew the poses! 

I have also used some of the yoga breathing techniques to help them focus and calm themselves before big soccer tournaments. At first they looked at me like I was crazy but it seems to work and now they do it willingly-as long as their teammates aren't around!  

Jasmine and pony like this

I have also used some of the yoga breathing techniques to help them focus and calm themselves before big soccer tournaments. At first they looked at me like I was crazy but it seems to work and now they do it willingly-as long as their teammates aren't around!  

This is awesome! The next move is focus with my boys, especially my 11 year old. He is actually doing the 28 day challenge with me starting today. They did some yoga at their school too and he said he really liked it. ;D We both are practicing wheel pose and he got so excited when he did it by himself for the first time on Saturday!

EricaKaye likes this

My kids are 6 and 4 and like to join in! I've struggled to find yoga vids for kiddies and I find it difficult to design my own sequences.. If anyone has any suggestions would love to hear them..

EricaKaye and pony like this

My kids really like a game my sister bought me, it is called Yogi Cards (I think she found it on Amazon). It is for 6+ but it was easy to modify for my 3 year old. It has been a fun way to get the kids moving after countless snow days home from school! Added bonus-it helps me learn the Sanskrit names for the poses :)  Might be a fun way to create your own sequences for you or your kids. 

pony likes this

My kids are 6 and 4 and like to join in! I've struggled to find yoga vids for kiddies and I find it difficult to design my own sequences.. If anyone has any suggestions would love to hear them..

When my kids were younger and in tumbling I used to play games "who can" games with them like who can lay as straight as a board?, who can stretch like a cat?, etc. Now that they are older I just do my yoga and when they join me we do animal poses and talk about what animals they are and what they sound like when they stretch and yawn. They are more comfortable with it when we are having a conversation, it's kind of distracting from the exercise part. Plus, now that they are older, I can explain to them the meanings behind the poses and get them to try way more things now that it is interesting and not just some lame thing mom does. ;D

mimisouth likes this