Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
laurismasfuerte

Struggling To Stay On A Schedule

12 posts in this topic

You'd think with me being in the military this would come easy??  oh gosh no!  

Somehow I'm great at work....

however struggle with my own personal life (with just even the basic me time/ relaxation/ getting on a yoga schedule)

I want to do Yoga for many reasons,  however its so hard for me to get into a routine  :help:

My mind starts racing into 500 million directions and I just can't concentrate and then just stop.  

i'm transitioning out of the military after 4 years and I just need some advice on this.  I guess I've been so used to such a high pace life that Its hard for me to do such easy tasks for my own health and wellness!

I'm open to advice..  thanks so much!!!  :)

I feel like a bit of a hypocrite chiming in when I've left my yoga mat rolled up and lonely for a good two weeks now, but anyhoo:

Leo Babauta's writings on this subject have helped me a lot in the past. The key thing is that forming any new habit is hard in and of itself, so it helps to start small and easy with whatever it is you actually want to do every day. Once you can do an easy thing every day for three weeks or a month or three months (you read all over that it takes 21 days to form a habit, but everybody's different and you shouldn't beat yourself up if it takes you a bit longer), then you can get a little more in-depth with whatever your shiny new habit is. Or you might find (I often did) that once you just get started, you want to keep going, and you can have some in-depth days even in the early stages of your habit-forming adventure. 

Here are a couple short posts of Leo's I like if you're interested: 

http://zenhabits.net/half/

http://zenhabits.net/starting/

Take that first step. Celebrate that first step. Love the step, not the destination. That step, even the motion of taking the first foot off the ground and moving it forward — that’s everything.

That’s the truth, and you’ll not read it in many self-help books: put every microparticle of your existence into that half step, and be nothing but that half step, and love it with all you have … and your life has changed.

With this half step, everything is different. You haven’t achieved any goals … but you’ve moved. You haven’t created something amazing … and yet, more than ever before, you have.

You’ve created beauty and joy and movement where none existed before, where previously only constriction and paralysis and confusion lived. You have changed the world.

Boom, right? Best of luck, Laura!

Mana, Yogabliss, Hildegard and 1 other like this

You'd think with me being in the military this would come easy??  oh gosh no!  

Somehow I'm great at work....

however struggle with my own personal life (with just even the basic me time/ relaxation/ getting on a yoga schedule)

I want to do Yoga for many reasons,  however its so hard for me to get into a routine  :help:

My mind starts racing into 500 million directions and I just can't concentrate and then just stop.  

i'm transitioning out of the military after 4 years and I just need some advice on this.  I guess I've been so used to such a high pace life that Its hard for me to do such easy tasks for my own health and wellness!

I'm open to advice..  thanks so much!!!  :)

First of all, huge thank you for your service in the military! 

Whenever I'm trying to really make a change, I set an alarm and pretend in my head it's a meeting with a big CEO. I wouldn't cancel on that person, so I refuse to cancel when that alarm goes off. I also try to set reasonable goals. If you're trying to get back into yoga, I wouldn't recommend setting up a schedule for every single day. Set reasonable goals like maybe twice a week. Or even just once a week!! For yoga, I also find it easier if I keep a little space in my home that's all ready to go for my practice. I'll leave my mat unrolled in the corner of a room with all my yoga props right there. That way when it's time to practice, I don't have to do anything but step on the mat.

You could also join in on our Feb yoga project! It's starting on Monday and there will be a weekly suggested schedule, and everyone will "check in" on instagram for accountability and hop on here in a dedicated forum to share thoughts, experiences, ups and downs, and ask questions/get support. People here are super supportive, so that's a nice way to kind of hold yourself accountable. 

Hope that helps!! 

laurismasfuerte, Mana and Yogabliss like this

I'm terrible at developing new, healthier habits, so I'm not exactly qualified to offer advice when I also need it (how to go to bed at a reasonable hour rather than stay up late? No idea), but I can share how I got into yoga.

I knew I wanted to do yoga, but at first I didn't have a consistent practice. What eventually worked for me was to find the right time for it, and that was first thing in the morning. I'm not a morning person, far from it, but I found that late at night - my favourite time of the day - I'd always find something else to do, a TV show to watch, a book to read, a website to visit, while in the mornings I'm too sleepy to think twice about what I want to do. At first I did yoga twice a week, then three times a week, then every other day. Now I do yoga daily because it feels weird not to.

My advice would be to find a time of the day you can fit in your practice, call it your yoga time, and not think too hard about it. Having difficulties concentrating while doing yoga is absolutely normal. It's one of those things you get better at eventually. I just focus on my breathing, accept that my mind is going a million places at once and I try to do my best for the day.

Good luck!

Mana, laurismasfuerte and Yogabliss like this

My regular practice began we just a 10 minute practice each day. I could commit to 10 minutes per day. After a few weeks 10 minutes wasn't enough and it became 15, then 20 etc. now I aim for 30 minutes in the evening and 60 minutes at the weekend.. It's become as routine as brushing my teeth..

Mana, Yogabliss and laurismasfuerte like this

thank you so much everyone,  great useful advice and much appreciated as well.  I will be taking bits and pieces and molding it to what works for me :)  thank you so much :) 

Yogabliss likes this

For me the hardest part is getting on my actual mat. I always tell myself "get on the mat, and if I want to do something else afterwards go do it".  99.9% of the time I stay on the mat and I have a wicked practise :)

I find it's all about priorities and goals. I told myself to practice at least 30-60 minutes a day so I always cut into sleep if need be. Also putting on a good youtube yoga class helps too because you'd be focused (for me at least) to finish the entire video.

And if that doesn't work, try practicing away from home. Sometimes we get to comfy with our bed and couch around and having a separate space helps a lot.

Best of luck!

My yoga teacher always says, if you do nothing, always do a dog, every single day for the rest of your life.  He's being a bit sneaky there though, because often a dog will lead into another pose and then another.... 

On a side note, although sort of related...  I'm the biggest procrastinator in the world.  Still working at curing this terrible affliction.  But the advice is to chunk things down into smaller manageable bits.  It does work, although ideally I need to employ someone to give me a huge initial kick up the backside to set me in motion. 

starslight and YogiRishi like this

On a side note, although sort of related...  I'm the biggest procrastinator in the world.  Still working at curing this terrible affliction.  But the advice is to chunk things down into smaller manageable bits.  It does work, although ideally I need to employ someone to give me a huge initial kick up the backside to set me in motion. 

I can relate to that. I'm beginning to feel like I might not be one of those people who can self-motivate every day. It's a constant struggle to get set into motion, and lately I just haven't been getting there at all. The only downside I've found to the "break it into small bits" advice (which I, of course, hypocritically dispense to others) is that if I fail to get even the first small bit started I just beat the ever-loving crap out of myself--like, how much do I suck if I can't even do something easy?

If I could afford a life coach or something I bet I could leverage my people-pleasing tendencies into getting some serious work done. 

pony and sadhamstrings like this

"only do a Dog"...Sneaky guy  :lol:

My yoga teacher always says, if you do nothing, always do a dog, every single day for the rest of your life.  He's being a bit sneaky there though, because often a dog will lead into another pose and then another.... 

sadhamstrings likes this

I can relate to that. I'm beginning to feel like I might not be one of those people who can self-motivate every day. It's a constant struggle to get set into motion, and lately I just haven't been getting there at all. The only downside I've found to the "break it into small bits" advice (which I, of course, hypocritically dispense to others) is that if I fail to get even the first small bit started I just beat the ever-loving crap out of myself--like, how much do I suck if I can't even do something easy?

If I could afford a life coach or something I bet I could leverage my people-pleasing tendencies into getting some serious work done. 

Lol, that last sentence made me think and pause.  Spot on.  And that's all tied to perfectionism or nothing isn't it.  I think it's all about accepting one's limitations and not beating yourself up too much I guess.  I love the following quote, and ought to tattoo it on my forehead or something (in mirror writing of course ;)  ):

Continuous effort, not strength or intelligence is the key to unlocking our potential.

All I need is a time machine and a whip, and to have a little chat with my younger self....  :D 

starslight likes this

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb

All I need is a time machine and a whip, and to have a little chat with my younger self....  :D

sadhamstrings and pony like this