YogaByCandace

Items In The Kitchen You Cannot Live Without

27 posts in this topic

Ok maybe "cannot live without" was a little strong, but here are the things I use on a near daily basis:

-vitamix (so good for everything from smoothies to homemade ice cream to mashed cauliflower)

-crockpot (I constantly have a broth going)

When I was in Greece last week, my business partner brought this really cool lemon seed catcher thing (perfect for making fresh lemon/ginger tea) and I need to own it!

I looove my Kitchenaid hand mixer (I think this one is the same model as mine). I especially appreciate having the dough hooks so I can make my own whole wheat pizza dough! And I actually cannot live without my electric kettle; one of my best friends first introduced me to it in college and I've been hooked ever since. It was perfect for us because we'd sometimes have more than three cups of tea a day haha!

YogaByCandace likes this

That would be my hands ;)

I'm in the process of downshifting and having a TINY kitchen with very few plug sockets kept my from having electric kitchen devices in the first place.

Anyway, I'm trying to keep is as simple as possible and don't really miss anything.

BUT...it also doesn't keep me from secretly longing for a Kitchenaid, they come in so many beautiful colors... :D

Turi and YogaByCandace like this

I looove my Kitchenaid hand mixer (I think this one is the same model as mine). I especially appreciate having the dough hooks so I can make my own whole wheat pizza dough! And I actually cannot live without my electric kettle; one of my best friends first introduced me to it in college and I've been hooked ever since. It was perfect for us because we'd sometimes have more than three cups of tea a day haha!

Oh yes! Forgot about my electric kettle! Best. Invention. Ever.

Meugenio likes this

I'm definitely in love with my Kitchenaid: I use to bake homemade bread and pizzas, so it's very useful to make good doughs. And it is so nice in the kitchen :-)
Kettle is essential for me because I drink a lot of tea and another tool I use daily is an immersion blender, for soups, overnight porridges, sauces.
Vitamix is still in my dreams, but it's a little bit bulky and I really cannot imagine where to put it in the kitchen now :-(
Finally, my next purchase will be for sure an electric dehydrator, I'm looking forward to dry tons ov fruits and vegetables :-)

YogaByCandace and Meugenio like this

I have a machine called a 'thermomix' which will make ice cream and smoothies and so on. It also steams food and makes things like risotto and kneads dough. It's basically my best friend  :P

YogaByCandace likes this

Blender, crockpot and wooden utensils aside I love my convection toaster oven! I seem like a nerd whenever I praise it, and often do. But seriously! It cuts cooking time, is energy efficient and has no leery cons like radiation (personal choice I have never owned a microwave). 

YogaByCandace likes this

I love my Keurig! I use it for a cup of coffee now and then but love that i have hot water for my tea any time I want it!

I'm with you YogaGrammy! I can't start my morning without my Nespresso Machine! If its good enough for George Clooney, then it's good enough for me!  :D

MooreJ and yogagrammy like this

Ok maybe "cannot live without" was a little strong, but here are the things I use on a near daily basis:

-vitamix (so good for everything from smoothies to homemade ice cream to mashed cauliflower)

When I was in Greece last week, my business partner brought this really cool lemon seed catcher thing (perfect for making fresh lemon/ginger tea) and I need to own it!

Those two things are on my wishlist. I'm about to start kitting out a house!

I'm with you YogaGrammy! I can't start my morning without my Nespresso Machine! If its good enough for George Clooney, then it's good enough for me!  :D

Hummm, maybe George could come by my place and tell me about it! On second thought, maybe my Husband wouldn't appreciate that too much! haha

MrBalloonHands and Turi like this

Okay, I have got to ask a bit of a stupid question. That crockpot? I have searched pinterest and google, but the pictures are so different I´m still not sure what constitutes a crockpot. Help me out please  :huh:

YogaByCandace likes this

Okay, I have got to ask a bit of a stupid question. That crockpot? I have searched pinterest and google, but the pictures are so different I´m still not sure what constitutes a crockpot. Help me out please  :huh:

Not a stupid question at all! They're not that popular in Europe - none of my European friends knew what they were, and when we went to the store to buy one in Germany, everyone looked at us like  :5:

So i've found you can pretty much only get them on Amazon over here, at least that's been my experience. They are a big pot that you plug into an outlet. You can put all your food in there, raw, and then leave it overnight or all day long and when you get home the food is done!  :D It's the best thing ever! 

Turi likes this

Is anyone rocking a dehydrator in their kitchen? I haven't used ours in a while and need some inspiration.... B)

When I'll get mine one of the first things I'd like to prepare are vegetable chips, like kale, zucchini, pumpkin, beetroot. At a kitchen course I've seen some "dusts" made with ground dehydratated vegs and used to flavour and colour courses, it sounds interesting! :)

DanB84 and YogaByCandace like this

They are a big pot that you plug into an outlet. You can put all your food in there, raw, and then leave it overnight or all day long and when you get home the food is done!  :D It's the best thing ever! 

A slow cooker :)

When I'll get mine one of the first things I'd like to prepare are vegetable chips, like kale, zucchini, pumpkin, beetroot. At a kitchen course I've seen some "dusts" made with ground dehydratated vegs and used to flavour and colour courses, it sounds interesting! :)

Dusts! I love that idea! 

What do you think the easiest veggies are to make into chips? We have tried beets and they took so long and just didn't taste that great... any tips?

Laura likes this

Dusts! I love that idea! 

What do you think the easiest veggies are to make into chips? We have tried beets and they took so long and just didn't taste that great... any tips?

Maybe zucchini and pumpkin to start, anyway I think seasoning is the secret: in my oven version (even if almost burned!) beets were delicious, with extravergin olive oil, smoked paprika and some herbs.

YogaByCandace likes this

Dusts! I love that idea! 

I have made zucchini chips quite successfully.  They didn't take that long, but the seasoning is key.  I made some with just salt/pepper.  On others I used cayenne.  I really liked them.  I just pinned another zucchini chip recipe on pinterest that I plan on trying.

I love dried kale.  I will eat it without any seasoning.  

I also like the idea of dusts!  Might have to start using mine a little more than I have been.

DanB84 and Laura like this

Haha yeah a crockpot (US) = slow cooker (UK), they are plentiful here, and I use the heck out of mine.

Electric kettles are also super standard for a British home so I rarely think about mine anymore despite the fact that I never had one in the States.  My mom even bought one for my house back home...BUT the London tap water is so hard it is like liquid concrete so I absolutely cannot live without my Brita kettle. It makes such a difference with my tea, I even got one for my office.

The only other kitchen thing I think I find super essential is my iron skillet because I'm Southern and because they add iron to anything that you cook in them so they are actually great for your health and don't leach scary teflon chemicals into your food.  Oh, and one more Southern related thing:  I got a Takeya jug to make iced tea in from loose leaf tea this summer and that was a total game changer.

yogafire likes this

The Takeya jug looks really neat! I've been making batches of hot tea and then pouring into a jug and waiting for it to cool naturally.  Unfortunately, that means I can't enjoy it until the next day.

I agree about the electric kettle, for the same reasons that other people state for tea. I don't think I've met so many tea drinkers in one place before!

For omnivores, a fat separator has made my life easier for making braised meats (to reduce the sauce into a glaze), soups, or broths.  I think the easiest and fastest method is to chill the liquid and remove the solidified fat the next day, but if you need to serve right away, the fat separator is faster and more accurate than skimming the surface.

My Nutribullet!

I'm definitely in love with my Kitchenaid: I use to bake homemade bread and pizzas, so it's very useful to make good doughs. And it is so nice in the kitchen :-)

Kettle is essential for me because I drink a lot of tea and another tool I use daily is an immersion blender, for soups, overnight porridges, sauces.

Vitamix is still in my dreams, but it's a little bit bulky and I really cannot imagine where to put it in the kitchen now :-(

Finally, my next purchase will be for sure an electric dehydrator, I'm looking forward to dry tons ov fruits and vegetables :-)

It's much less bulky than the Vitamix and much cheaper so might be worth you looking at Laura. I haven't tried using a Vitamix myself but comparison videos on YouTube seem to find the results are almost as good.

My $10 Ikea wok has become my go-to for everything. Easily the best kitchen purchase I've ever made. Combined with a vented lid, it can cook pretty much anything. 

YogaByCandace likes this

Hi! Today I've received the dehydrator I've ordered a couple of days ago, with a recipe book to find some good ideas. I can't wait to test it, I think I'll start with something easy like sweet potato or apple chips, but I've seen a very interesting recipe: a sort of "wafer" made with squeezed orange juice wastes. I love citrus and I love to recycle, so that's very intriguing. 

I'll let you know :)

MrBalloonHands likes this

Hi! Today I've received the dehydrator I've ordered a couple of days ago, with a recipe book to find some good ideas. I can't wait to test it, I think I'll start with something easy like sweet potato or apple chips, but I've seen a very interesting recipe: a sort of "wafer" made with squeezed orange juice wastes. I love citrus and I love to recycle, so that's very intriguing. 

I'll let you know :)

Yes, please do let us know how it goes. We also have a dehydrator, but I have not been inspired lately. Maybe you could change that with some good ideas.

Laura likes this