Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mmosier71

Arm Balances And Yin Yoga For Hips

4 posts in this topic

Since finding my crow during the strength challenge this past month, I want to open myself up to more arm balances (8 angle pose, flying crow, grasshopper/baby grasshopper, etc). However, I am not finding that I have the strength to lift myself more than a teeeeny sliver off the floor. What suggestions do you have for poses, advice, routines, things to focus on? Check me out on IG @mwall4 so you can see my poses.

Also, I want to work on opening my hips and I thought some Yin Yoga would be good because the slow pace would really give my hips time to relax and open up. Any videos or suggested poses to use?

YogaByCandace and Meugenio like this

Oh, you're going to have all kinds of fun. I got my crow a few months ago and I found 8 angle pose and baby grasshopper followed pretty quickly :) Are you doing Candace's challenges? I'm always surprised at how quickly I progress at a number of poses, and not just my chosen pose, just within that month of following the recommended videos :)

My hips aren't great so I'm a fair way off grasshopper, but around half way through the January challenge I at least had my foot above my elbow at some point, I'm hoping to try again with the February challenge on top of the pose I pick. 

mmosier71, your crow pose is totally getting there! Make sure to really engage your core and imagine that, as you are engaging your core, it's helping you lift your feet up closer to your bum. Try to get your knees as high up on the back of your arms as much as you can. Really press into the mat, look forward and lean forward. Be brave and don't worry about falling over; I had to fall over A LOT before I got to fly haha!

Keep working on core and upper body strength to get into more of the arm balances. And if you keep practicing your crow consistently, you'll get to the others soon!

I have pretty tight hips too (they used to be even tighter from all the running around when I was younger and before I consistently started practicing yoga!) and I used to absolutely loathe pigeon pose! Making friends with that pose and its variations has really helped. I'm also a big fan of happy baby, fire logs pose and supta gomukhasana. Standing pigeon also feels really good. High lunge can be a good hip opener as well if you really engage the back leg and try to push the heel back towards the ground (does that make sense?). Candace posted a 15 minute morning practice for hips a few weeks ago too! I hope this helps! =)

mmosier71 and YogaByCandace like this

I love the pigeon pose and have started working on sitting in some hip openers for 30 seconds to a minute. I have only been able to participate in the January challenge. I was about 2 weeks into the flexibility challenge on my own before the new year. I am feeling pretty comfortable in my crow and have been coming back to it every day so far since the end of the challenge. I am also just trying out other poses like the 8 angle, grasshopper, flying pigeon and working on them. 

YogaByCandace and KimK like this