Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Csilla

Drinking Water While Doing Yoga

10 posts in this topic

Hello There, 

I wasn't sure where to place this question, but I hope it will be alright to ask it here :)

I'm conditioned to drink a lot, I never go anywhere without a bottle of water, and as soon as my bottle of water is empty, I have to fill it or get a new one ASAP! I feel seriously bad if for example I leave somewhere in a hurry, and don't have the time to grab some water.

During my sport history, before taking up yoga, I was always encouraged to drink water whenever I felt like I needed it.

So I took this "practice" with me to yoga too, and although I was never explicitly discouraged from drinking, I did notice that many yoga studios tell (or it's written on their websites) people not to drink during classes (not drinking a drop of water for 90 min sounds like a torture to me) and many of the instructors I've seen, don't drink during their classes.

There was only one case when I stopped before a pose to drink during a yoga class, and the instructor (who is a very nice person) told me that it was a way of looking for an excuse (a.k.a trying to avoid the pose, or trying to spend less time in the pose). Well, I just felt thirsty. At least that's what I think I felt :)

Anyway, I know yoga is about accepting, and most likely you'll tell me to do whatever I feel like I need to, aslo it's not like if someone tells me now that I really shouldn't drink water during yoga, then I'll stop it, still I wonder if it's actually in any way ruining my practice / bad for my health?

Obviously, when I practice, I just take little sips of water, but still, it does interrupt the flow. Is interrupting the flow / stopping between two poses bad?

These might be silly questions, but I'm very curious to read some answers.

Robbie and Mamadances like this

I've just started yoga, so I'm far from an expert, but I've taken many video yoga classes (offered from Wellbeats).

At the beginning of every class the instructor advises practitioners to have water with them.

I know that, if you're practicing Bikram yoga (or another hot yoga practices), they tell you to bring water if you need it (the Bikram studio I practiced at before recommended it). I generally don't like to drink water while practicing yoga, no matter if the class is heated or not or if I'm just practicing at home, simply because I don't like the feel of water moving around in my stomach. Like Jasmine said, feeling the water in my stomach, especially in twists or abdomen squeezing postures, just doesn't feel good to me.

I don't think it's bad for your health or ruining your practice. I think it's really up to you and how you feel about drinking water during your practice. I definitely don't like drinking water for the reasons above and I do like to keep flowing through my postures, but you should do what feels best for you! =)

Hildegard likes this

I remember being told in Ashtanga yoga that since we are working to build heat in the body, drinking water during practice  will cool the body.  I've never really heard much about water in other classes.  I don't drink it when I practice for the reasons others mentioned, but I ALWAYS have a bottle with me.  When I teach I usually drink anywhere from 8-24oz of water or green tea.  Though sometimes I wonder if I use that as a crutch when I teach.

I always have a bottle of water with me when doing yoga. It first started when I tried dynamic yoga and used to sweat through a t-shirt at every practise, but now I just have one with me during any yoga session out of habit. I've thought nothing more about until I just read, ".... it was a way of looking for an excuse (a.k.a trying to avoid the pose, or trying to spend less time in the pose)" and realised that actually yes, yes I really am guilty of that! 

YogaByCandace likes this

I try to avoid having any liquids at last half an hour before my yoga practice for the simple reason that it makes me feel queasy, especially during forward folds, any inversions or poses on my stomach. Like others have mentioned earlier, it can be a very uncomfortable, distracting sensation.

I also carry a water bottle with me everywhere!  Usually because I'm walking around, but mainly I found out if I get dehydrated, I get dizzy and can't see (too many dots in my vision).   Everyone's heat tolerance is different, so I don't think you should refrain from drinking water until you get comfortable without it.

I take 90 minute classes now and don't drink anymore unless it is a heated class.  I do try to drink beforehand, so you may start sipping water an hour or two earlier depending on how "sloshy" you feel.  

I needed to drink water during class in the beginning while I built up my stamina, even in an ashtanga-based practice. I got out of breath doing some of the primary series!  

I bring my water in a Forrest yoga class because the instructor heats up the room intentionally.  So yes, I am trying to cool down, but my muscles still benefit from that heat.  The instructor also carries a metal canteen of either water or tea, but guides a lot by talking and walking around, and only demos once in awhile.  I've never been discouraged from drinking, and at one studio with vinyasa heavy classes, people brought in mugs with water from the lobby to place next to their mat if they didn't have their own water bottle.  If drinking water from a bottle is too noisy, some people just walk out in the middle of class to take a break and come back.  

Overall, I've seen people do whatever they want that makes them feel comfortable. I recommend that if a teacher calls on you for drinking a water to "avoid a pose", tell him or her, "no, I get dehydrated easily, so I am just listening to my body."

Meugenio likes this

Drinking water doesn't bother me too much. it's actually having a parched throat which does. I'm an individual that gets hot very easily, so I feel like I always need to drink water in class in order to remain focused.

Everyone is different though I guess :unsure:

Traditionally, in Ashtanga (what I studied), we're "building fire" (heat) in the body through the practice, and water will "put out the fire" so it's not advised. However, sometimes, I'm just hot and want some dang water, so I'll take a sip here or there if needed. :lol:  And for Bikram? Forget about it! I couldn't make it through a Bikram class without water. Definitely not advised to gulp down more than a sip or two because you could feel really sick in the practice.

Mamadances likes this