YogaByCandace

February Project: Heart Opening Yoga

55 posts in this topic

Yay I'm excited to be able to join in this time. I'm very proud that I just managed my first post to Instagram too!

My chosen pose is Wheel as I really struggle with it and avoid it where possible. At the moment my pose looks very similar to the 'don't do this' in Candace's common mistakes in wheel pose post!

Yay I'm excited to be able to join in this time. I'm very proud that I just managed my first post to Instagram too!

My chosen pose is Wheel as I really struggle with it and avoid it where possible. At the moment my pose looks very similar to the 'don't do this' in Candace's common mistakes in wheel pose post!

My son and I were comparing our wheel poses to her example too. I have to work on my arm stregnth and flexability for sure so it looks like we will be warming up with the chair yoga Candace suggested for opening the chest and arms.

I see significant improvement in our future tho! ;D

I'm combining the last two days of the strength challenge with the beginning of this one and so far, so good. I was already sneaking in mermaid's pose into my daily practice to help me open up my hips for grasshopper, so it wasn't too much of a stretch. I'm aiming for a better, more consistent, king pigeon's pose as well as full dancer's pose.

No Instagram check in for me as my room was a disaster this morning and the world doesn't need to see that :P

I've got really sore knees just over these past couple of days and am a bit concerned about it, so I'm having the first few days off and then will be joining in and I finally settled on King Pigeon Pose :) I ordered a yoga strap last night to help me.

I would love to open my back and shoulders enough to perform wheel but I'm going to steer clear of that one to start with because it gives me back pain. But I suspect like the flexibility and strength challenges I did I will discover a whole new range of poses along with my chosen :)

For this project I choose 2 poses, one of them is the dancers pose but I don't know what to do with the hand that's not holding my feet, what I mean its that I spear my fingers but some people do others stuffs with the fingers, any recommendation? and the 2nd one is the bow pose

post-564-186178_thumb.jpg

post-564-0-00551100-1422912830_thumb.jpg

I'm always super excited about Candace's challenges.

I've chosen bow pose and dancer pose.. They definitely need some work..

I thought my back was breaking while my hubby took the photo turns out I was barely off the ground!

This is the first yoga challenge I've participated in - it resonated too strongly to ignore!

My shoulders and hips suffer quite a bit from spending 40 hours a week at a desk - so I'm choosing to focus on pigeon pose. I look forward to seeing progress, especially as this is the first time I've had the courage to photograph myself during yoga.

pony, Jasmine, mimisouth and 3 others like this

Hi everybody, what an amazing and exciting challenge!

I'll focus mainly on dancer's pose, but I'll try to work on wheel and bow too, to build some strenght and flexibility in back and shoulders.

Have a nice practice :)

Yogabliss, YogaByCandace and Mana like this

Hello guys! Awesome project, just what I wanted

I chose the full dancer's pose, however, progres in anything else woudn't be bad!

Is anyone suffering from the shoulder rotation in full dancer's? How do you  work on that?

im curious...when you practice your pose, how many breaths do you hold the pose for?

bow pose is the devil to me, but i think im less likely to fall out of it if i give myself a rule to follow...i know it sounds silly, but i feel like im cheating if i don't do everything with some sort of guideline lol

im curious...when you practice your pose, how many breathes do you hold the pose for?

bow pose is the devil to me, but i think im less likely to fall out of it if i give myself a rule to follow...i know it sounds silly, but i feel like im cheating if i don't do everything with some sort of guideline lol

When I practice dancer's pose, I usually hold the pose until I feel the most sensation in it (does that make sense) or until I feel like I've reached my edge. I think it's easier for me to focus on feeling rather than counting the number of breaths I've taken. Since it's the beginning of the project, maybe 3-7 breaths in the pose is a good range? I hope that's helpful! =)

When I practice dancer's pose, I usually hold the pose until I feel the most sensation in it (does that make sense) or until I feel like I've reached my edge. I think it's easier for me to focus on feeling rather than counting the number of breaths I've taken. Since it's the beginning of the project, maybe 3-7 breaths in the pose is a good range? I hope that's helpful! =)

thanks...it's easier for me to focus on breaths because in bow pose i feel the sensation immediately lol...i'll start with 4 breaths then go from there

Meugenio, Mana, Laura and 1 other like this

Good morning!

I have a question about wheel pose: I can reach this pose and hold it for about 8-10 breaths, I can go on tippy toes for a few seconds, but the only idea of lifting one leg seems me crazy!  :unsure:

Where do you think I have to work and focus on? Shoulders strength? Core strength?

Thanks and have a great day you all!

Hildegard, Yogabliss, Mana and 1 other like this

I'm always super excited about Candace's challenges.

I've chosen bow pose and dancer pose.. They definitely need some work..

I thought my back was breaking while my hubby took the photo turns out I was barely off the ground!

Haha, I know exactly what you mean, I find the same in wheel. On Monday I was sure I couldn't possibly be in a more perfect semi-circular shape as my back felt so curved, nope, it was practically flat like a tabletop!

Mana, Laura, YogaByCandace and 1 other like this

My son and I were comparing our wheel poses to her example too. I have to work on my arm stregnth and flexability for sure so it looks like we will be warming up with the chair yoga Candace suggested for opening the chest and arms.

I see significant improvement in our future tho! ;D

Inspiring prediciton! I think it's so lovely that you and your son practice together ❤️

pony, Yogabliss and YogaByCandace like this

So awesome to come on here after a few days of travel to see you guys chit chatting. I've been checking in on instagram and am blown away by the crazy amount of awesome that is the #YBCbackbend hashtag. You're all so fantastic.  :wub:

For this project I choose 2 poses, one of them is the dancers pose but I don't know what to do with the hand that's not holding my feet, what I mean its that I spear my fingers but some people do others stuffs with the fingers, any recommendation? and the 2nd one is the bow pose

Totally up to you - arm can be parallel to the floor with palm facing down, arm can be bent sort of like a U with the index and thumb touching, arm can be straight up. make it yours :54:

im curious...when you practice your pose, how many breaths do you hold the pose for?

just like maria said (thx, maria!) 3-7 breaths is great, or until you find your edge :27:

Good morning!

I have a question about wheel pose: I can reach this pose and hold it for about 8-10 breaths, I can go on tippy toes for a few seconds, but the only idea of lifting one leg seems me crazy!  :unsure:

Where do you think I have to work and focus on? Shoulders strength? Core strength?

Thanks and have a great day you all!

lifting the leg just adds another element of flexibility to the already intense mix of shoulder, chest, armpit, front body and hip flexor. Lifting the leg is like doing a split so if you lift the right leg you'll be looking to increase flexibility in the right leg hamstring and left leg hip flexor (which you're already doing with wheel but it'll be even deeper because you're essentially doing a little split) :54:

Yogalove, Yogabliss, Laura and 4 others like this

lifting the leg just adds another element of flexibility to the already intense mix of shoulder, chest, armpit, front body and hip flexor. Lifting the leg is like doing a split so if you lift the right leg you'll be looking to increase flexibility in the right leg hamstring and left leg hip flexor (which you're already doing with wheel but it'll be even deeper because you're essentially doing a little split) :54:

Thanks Candace :) Wooow, a mini split, so today's hip flexors sequence will be perfect!