YogaByCandace

February Project: Heart Opening Yoga

55 posts in this topic

random question...wheel isn't the pose im working on, but it's one i do a couple of times every week

my arms are stronger and i make the adjustments candace suggests below, but im still a little flat

http://yogabycandace.com/blog/common-mistakes-in-wheel-pose

im not very flexible in my back, so i know not to expect to get the pose immediately

but do people walk their feet or hands in to create a better backbend? i just feel like i just push myself up and that's it lol

So I decided to come into this project a bit late.  I was feeling VERY blah and icky all last week so I only practiced 2x.  Yesterday my energy was completely back though so I did a small practice.  Lovely!  I've chosen pigeon pose (with the ultimate goal king pigeon) as my hips are craaaaazy tight.  I loved the January project and I can definitely notice a major increase in my overall strength (especially upper body and core!).  I know that if I made that much progress in a month in my problem areas, I can definitely open up my hips and become more flexible.  Here's to everyone working hard and having a wonderful time!

random question...wheel isn't the pose im working on, but it's one i do a couple of times every week

my arms are stronger and i make the adjustments candace suggests below, but im still a little flat

im not very flexible in my back, so i know not to expect to get the pose immediately

but do people walk their feet or hands in to create a better backbend? i just feel like i just push myself up and that's it lol

Hmmm...I think it just depends on how you feel when you walk your hands or feet in. Sometimes I'll walk my feet in or even lift my heels to go on tippy toes to go a little deeper in the pose.

My lower back has been feeling a little tight and slightly achy lately. I've been trying to do some hip opening to see if that alleviates some of the awkward feelings in my lower back; does anyone have suggestions to help with my lower back?

I'm so excited for week 2 tomorrow :D

When are the plans released? <3

Plans are released Monday morning  :)

I generally walk my feet in a few inches because they usually have a little movement when I come up. You could also practice swaying forward and backward just to feel a little movement and openness - just be careful and make sure you're really, really warmed up.

So I decided to come into this project a bit late.  I was feeling VERY blah and icky all last week so I only practiced 2x.  Yesterday my energy was completely back though so I did a small practice.  Lovely!  I've chosen pigeon pose (with the ultimate goal king pigeon) as my hips are craaaaazy tight.  I loved the January project and I can definitely notice a major increase in my overall strength (especially upper body and core!).  I know that if I made that much progress in a month in my problem areas, I can definitely open up my hips and become more flexible.  Here's to everyone working hard and having a wonderful time!

Thanks for being a part of the community! Good for you for listening to your body - that is the ultimate, highest form of yoga in my humble opinion ;)

Hmmm...I think it just depends on how you feel when you walk your hands or feet in. Sometimes I'll walk my feet in or even lift my heels to go on tippy toes to go a little deeper in the pose.

My lower back has been feeling a little tight and slightly achy lately. I've been trying to do some hip opening to see if that alleviates some of the awkward feelings in my lower back; does anyone have suggestions to help with my lower back?

Lower back issues usually stem from either tight hips or weak abs, so if the hip opening doesn't help, maybe mix in a little ab work every other day or whenever you practice and see if that helps.  :)

Mkay confession: I almost cried on my yoga mat yesterday. I've read that some people feel an emotional release after doing lots of heart-opening and I've always been skeptical about this. Whelp, I definitely felt the tears welling up after practicing dancer's pose. I think it's stemming from a bit of pent-up frustration because I don't really feel or see any progress in my chosen pose. My back has been feeling a little tighter than usual; maybe I'm focusing too much on spinal flexion and extension? Maybe I should do some more rotation and twists? I dunno, but I took a step back and didn't practice my chosen pose today. I might have to avoid it for a while and then come back to it. I'm trying to honor my body, but it's pretty hard when my ego thinks that I can keep pushing it. Ah here's to being patient with myself!

Mkay confession: I almost cried on my yoga mat yesterday. I've read that some people feel an emotional release after doing lots of heart-opening and I've always been skeptical about this. Whelp, I definitely felt the tears welling up after practicing dancer's pose. I think it's stemming from a bit of pent-up frustration because I don't really feel or see any progress in my chosen pose. My back has been feeling a little tighter than usual; maybe I'm focusing too much on spinal flexion and extension? Maybe I should do some more rotation and twists? I dunno, but I took a step back and didn't practice my chosen pose today. I might have to avoid it for a while and then come back to it. I'm trying to honor my body, but it's pretty hard when my ego thinks that I can keep pushing it. Ah here's to being patient with myself!

This is totally normal. Part of the journey for sure. Tell me your chosen pose again? Did you take a starter picture? Because sometimes I feel like I am making ZERO progress and then I'll look back and see an actual difference in the photos. It's totally possible you're focusing too much on one area. Tell me your pose again and I'll see if I can offer some suggestions. :13:

Meugenio, buddhabowl, Mana and 1 other like this

I came to say huge "Thank you Candace" again. Just did today's "45 min feel good practice" - and I really-really feel good now  :30:

And thank you for including a full savasana in it - it's always a trick to note the time for it, lying there with your eyes closed  :D

Meugenio, I am sure you do have a progress :wub: , it was just a bad day. We all have those from time to time.

I'm having a lot of fun with to his challenge, especially as I'm trying to keep working on my strength poses from the last challenge. I know that with more constant work full grasshopper will come to me sooner than later.

My regular dancer's pose has improved significantly - much better balance, feeling more grounded on my standing leg, which is a huge issue for me as I have flat feet-, though I know I still have room for improvement, in particular when it comes to keeping my hips more aligned. Full dancer's pose remains a hope rather than a certainty in my horizon, though I'm avoiding using straps as I almost fell flat on my face last time I used them. I keep getting all tangled up and losing my balance, so I'll find my own way into the pose.

King pigeon is a new favourite :) I really do love the open feeling in my chest. There's nothing else quite like it.

Candace, could I be cheeky and ask you to release the next update on Sunday night?

I can only practice at 6 am each morning, and since I'm in the UK, that means the schedule comes out too late for me!

If not that is totally fine, I'm sure I could make it work some other way :-)

Mana and YogaByCandace like this

Candace, could I be cheeky and ask you to release the next update on Sunday night?

I can only practice at 6 am each morning, and since I'm in the UK, that means the schedule comes out too late for me!

If not that is totally fine, I'm sure I could make it work some other way :-)

Tell you what - I'll give you the Monday practice early on here - does that work? If so, here it is  :)

Monday, February 23, 2015

Lower back issues usually stem from either tight hips or weak abs, so if the hip opening doesn't help, maybe mix in a little ab work every other day or whenever you practice and see if that helps.  :)

Very helpful tip. Thank you!

YogaByCandace likes this

I guiltily admit to not practicing as diligently during the Feb. challenge as I have the last two.  For whatever reason, my body has seemed rather reluctant and my energy levels have been quite low.  Rather than practicing 6x a week, I'm down to 2-3x a week.  On the upside, I am still practicing, listening to my body, and practicing mostly restorative yoga with my challenge pose thrown in.  I am still seeing progress albeit at a slower rate than past challenges and you know what?  I'm fine with that.  I'm learning to listen to my body and give it what it needs. 

I guiltily admit to not practicing as diligently during the Feb. challenge as I have the last two.  For whatever reason, my body has seemed rather reluctant and my energy levels have been quite low.  Rather than practicing 6x a week, I'm down to 2-3x a week.  On the upside, I am still practicing, listening to my body, and practicing mostly restorative yoga with my challenge pose thrown in.  I am still seeing progress albeit at a slower rate than past challenges and you know what?  I'm fine with that.  I'm learning to listen to my body and give it what it needs. 

Good for you!! That's what it's all about - listening to and honoring your body. 

Everyone! We're approaching the end of the month and I'd like to showcase your progress, if you'd be so kind! If you have a picture (bonus points if it's a side by side comparison using an app like instacollage) that you're willing to share on the blog, just use hashtag #YBCbackbendshare and I'll post it soon!

Meugenio and KatieD like this

I wanted to thank you for this challenge. I've been very quiet, and haven't posted any pictures, but I've been practicing with this challenge and it's been lovely. Also, you must have been correct when you answered my question about easy pose, because I have found that working on opening my chest has helped. The more metaphorical aspects of heart opening has been something I have needed to spend some focus on, and so it has felt good. Also, I participated in a holiday challenge at my gym that began in November. So suddenly I look up and I've been consistently working on fitting exercise in a busy and stressful life for four months, which is an achievement all on its own.

I (over)reacted at something at work today, and even though I couldn't quite keep myself from crying, I do credit the yoga I've been doing with being able to exist inside the moment better than I might have done, and even though my productivity was easily derailed after and never really recovered, I am grateful that I haven't beaten myself up over it and actually feel that tomorrow is a new day. I will start with your morning meditation video, though, that's for sure! Thanks, and I'm looking forward to March.

Mana, KatieD, starslight and 3 others like this

I wanted to thank you for this challenge. 

Oh, Shannon, you are most welcome. Thank you for participating and reaping the benefits. It warms my heart to hear that it's been helpful to you.  :13:

I haven't been doing the project because, well, I'm bad at projects, but I completely agree with Shannon on the non-physical benefits of yoga practice. I've practiced a little bit in the morning with Candace's videos for the last three days and it's done so much to help me out of a major depressive episode. My depression's still with me and likely always will be, but I'm so much better today than I was a week ago.

Maybe I'll make doing just a little bit every day and building up some consistency my own little project.

YogaByCandace, pony, KatieD and 2 others like this

Dear Candace, thank you so much for this challenge <3

I'm a bit late, so tomorrow is my last day. It pushed me to clean my apartment from some very old and forgotten stuff, it made me say goodbye to a project and people that made me feel unhappy to say at least, it made some magic in my love life <3 and finally... I became stronger and found out I can do baby grasshopper :)

So thankful <3

pony likes this

I know this is an old discussion....but....Since we don't have a challenge for October 2015, I decided to do the Heart Opening/Backbend challenge this month! I just got a Limitless Wheel, which is ahhhh-mazing (as Candace would say ;)) with helping me in backbends and chest opening. (Like seriously, I'm really happy I bought that thing!) I really want to work on my Wheel pose, but I can't even get up yet into it...I think it's mostly due to my shoulders being tight, not necessarily my back/chest.. So, I decided I'll work on Pigeon Pose, because I freaking love it for some reason :wub:

afriske and YogaByCandace like this