YogaByCandace

February Project: Heart Opening Yoga

55 posts in this topic

I discovered your YouTube channel a blog a few months ago. You have been an incredible help both physically and emotionally! An absolute lifesaver for those of us who aren't always able to get to a studio for set classes! I have been doing yoga on and off (more off than on) for many years now, so I'm not exactly a beginner.

Anyhow, I am starting the Feb heart opening project now - yes, in November! My chosen pose is pigeon pose. For some reason I just cannot get comfortable in pigeon. It looks totally do-able, but I struggled with it even in yin, with a bolster! The leg that is forward and bent doesn't seem to be able to twist with the foot out and the hips feel uncomfortable and out of sync. Please could you help advise on how I can improve (or actually get into) pigeon with some comfort? Thank you!!

On November 18, 2015 at 1:19:43 AM, AC said:

The leg that is forward and bent doesn't seem to be able to twist with the foot out and the hips feel uncomfortable and out of sync. Please could you help advise on how I can improve (or actually get into) pigeon with some comfort? Thank you!!

Hmm it's hard to say without seeing you in person but it could be that your hips are quite tight and in that case I would suggest practicing with a focus on opening up the hips. If you google 'yogabycandace hip opening' you'll find a bunch of options. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

Thanks Candace. It's definitely tightness in the hips - I've been practising (less regularly than I would like) and I can feel my hips becoming more comfortable in pigeon. I now have to learn to not compress my lower back. Thank you so much! ??

Hi there! I did the strength project earlier this year. Since then I've gone through a tough time in my personal life (getting a divorce and a new job all within the last 2 months) so I've been meaning to start this heart-opening project for a while. I did some of the first week and absolutely loved it. However, I've been having a lot of trouble sticking to the schedule and practicing regularly. Even though I really want (and need!) to practice.

In any case, I'm about to start over and take it one step at a time. Hopefully I can stick to it properly this time around!

Thanks for this wonderful community for the support!^_^:wub:

yogafire likes this