Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EricaKaye

Tips On "flipped Grip"?

6 posts in this topic

Not sure what the technical yoga term is...but I struggle with reversed grip or flipped grip poses. I'm not sure if I'm not doing it right or if my shoulders are just too tight to get it right now. I would love to be able to figure it out! Any tips to get there or poses to practice that helped you? Thanks!! 

I think it does require a bit of shoulder flexibility. I definitely couldn't flip my grip until I started working on flexibility in the upper back and shoulders and opening up the chest. Practicing sphinx, cobra and upward facing dog should help open up your chest and shoulders. Candace also has a post on three poses to open up the chest here. For flipping your grip, I found this article to be really helpful. Hope that helps! =)

EricaKaye and Jake like this

Thank you Meugenio! The step by step picture sequence in the article looks really helpful! I am going to start focusing on those chest and shoulder openers. I was practicing with a strap for some of the poses that my shoulders wouldn't open up enough in but I fell out of the habit...might be time to try it again! 

Meugenio likes this

Wow I am so glad that you asked this question.  I did not know that flipped grip was a thing and I have been coming into that position in a super awkward way and was unsure how i would ever be able to do it standing (for dancers vs pidgeon)  That blew my mind doing it this morning!

EricaKaye and Meugenio like this