Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yogafire

Does Anyone Else Get Sore Hamstrings The Day After Yoga?

7 posts in this topic

When I first started yoga 4 years ago, I couldn't bend in a forward fold properly or touch my toes while sitting down.  I've gradually increased my flexibility, but for at least the first year, my hamstrings would feel sore the next day almost every time. It felt like DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) to me, so I figured I was building up strength.  But I haven't heard anyone else mentioning this, so is it possible the soreness is from overstretching?

Anyway, I mention this because due to flu sickness and the holidays, my yoga practice has taken a short break. Recently, I went back to a full 1.5 hour class and went through the primary series.  The next day, my hamstrings are sore again, but mildly.  At the same time, my shoulders and upper back were also sore, so I knew I did a lot my body isn't used to.

So, is this normal? Am I pushing myself too hard?

YogaByCandace likes this

I know this probably isn't going to be super helpful, but I remember when I would go to yoga classes after not consistently practicing for a while, I would feel a bit of soreness the next day. I think it's just that my muscles weren't used to being worked in those ways when I wasn't practicing yoga consistently. The little bit of soreness, for me, I think is just a side effect of working out.

Is the soreness in the muscles? In the sitting bones or near a joint? 

Mild soreness in the muscles is a good thing, it means we where working our muscles. Some gentle exercise and stretching should bring a good feeling. 

For the part below I am not giving advice just putting some ideas out to help you look into this further. See a medical doctor for proper help.

If it is more than mild soreness it means there could be some injury. With a muscle it will heel fairly quickly as long as it is not severe. 

Pain in a joint is always bad and we really have to catch the injury before it becomes worse.

The soreness is in the middle of the back of my thigh.  So, I think it is all muscular.  It does go away after a couple days.  I just wasn't sure if you could experience the same soreness felt after doing weight bearing movements also from stretching.

When I first started yoga 4 years ago, I couldn't bend in a forward fold properly or touch my toes while sitting down.  I've gradually increased my flexibility, but for at least the first year, my hamstrings would feel sore the next day almost every time. It felt like DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) to me, so I figured I was building up strength.  But I haven't heard anyone else mentioning this, so is it possible the soreness is from overstretching?

Anyway, I mention this because due to flu sickness and the holidays, my yoga practice has taken a short break. Recently, I went back to a full 1.5 hour class and went through the primary series.  The next day, my hamstrings are sore again, but mildly.  At the same time, my shoulders and upper back were also sore, so I knew I did a lot my body isn't used to.

So, is this normal? Am I pushing myself too hard?

It sounds normal to me, especially after taking a little break from yoga and then jumping into a full 1.5hr class. The same thing happens to me - just a mild soreness, as if I'd had a good workout the day before, you know? Red flags would be actual pain that impacts your normal movement vs a general, dull soreness that you may feel here and there throughout the day. 

Yes! I've been doing the primary series for two months now on a daily basis. It doesn't seem to give the hamstring muscles a workout and yet my hamstrings feel this dull sense of soreness all the time! I'm becoming much more flexible, but I wonder if the soreness is telling me to stop pushing so hard...or if it's a normal part of becoming more flexible. 

9 hours ago, amymeeussen said:

...dull sense of soreness...

See comment #1 in my signature below

It’s impossible for someone else to diagnose why your muscles are sore, since we can’t assess what your doing, how hard you’re pushing yourself, your conditioning, experience, training, age, how frequently you stretch, whether your pushing yourself passed your comfort level, etc. 

Are you trying to compete with the others in class, trying to show them that you’re on their level? How many minutes do you devote to stretching before a class? (I typically try for 15 minutes at a minimum)

My hamstrings don't get sore. I've been doing "legs up the wall" for five minutes a day, every day of the year for the last three years. While I still consider myself inflexible, I am slowly seeing progress. Are you micro bending or bending your knees to accommodate your limitations? If you can't forward fold with straight legs...DON'T try to. 

In all poses, you go only as far as your body tells you...listen to (and respect) your body. Breath slowly and deeply, calm your mind, relax and then after a few seconds see if you can go a little further. (see link #3 in my signature below)

You should speak to your teacher. Is the teacher experienced and competent? If not, find a new teacher.

Alternate between vinyasa and yin...spend more time with yin to achieve flexibility.  You mentioned you’re doing one form every day of the week. Why? How much time do you devote to yin? Find new and different classes. The primary series is a fast paced routine, try a slower, more deliberative class. Don’t only go to one type of class  

Suggested exercises (do all of these daily)...

• pyramid pose for a two minutes on each side each day (keep back straight!)
  • legs up the wall for five minutes a day
  • stay in halfway lift (use blocks, or put your hands on your shins to make sure your back is straight) for a minute or two

Relax, work within your level, there’s no competition, nor ego, in yoga. You may never achieve the level of others in class, that’s okay...yoga is progress, not goals.