YogiRishi

What Do To Before Class?

15 posts in this topic

Hi There. What do you guys usually do before class starts.  Most people I see often go straight into savasana, but that seems to make me too tired for my practise.  As soon as I unroll my matt, I have to jump right into gentle hip openers/ forward folds and sun salutations.

Hi There. What do you guys usually do before class starts.  Most people I see often go straight into savasana, but that seems to make me too tired for my practise.  As soon as I unroll my matt, I have to jump right into gentle hip openers/ forward folds and sun salutations.

This is such an awesome question. I'm looking forward to hearing what other people do. I have chronically tight hips, so I usually will do rag doll pose, or something similar.  I swear a Before Yoga scene would make a great SNL skit or something. I used to go to this hot yoga studio. I was a regular and so I'd see the same people come to class and everyone had "their" space in the room, and before the class started you'd have people pretty much competing with each other for the perfect handstand or doing full out handstand push ups, and then others would be sitting in split chatting with others, and some people would be in savasana with one eye open giving the chatters The Look. Haha, what a group!  :3:

Yogabliss, Jasmine, Meugenio and 1 other like this

My husband usually lays in savasana with a bolster under his head, while I'm generally sitting next to him quietly whispering to him...most likely annoying him greatly!

If I'm alone I generally sit and focus on my breathing, especially if it's a heated room as I like to adjust to the temperature before class begins. Like Candace experienced, in my old Bikram classes I would see people strut in and start performing these really good postures so I would sit there and watch them :P

We have the regulars in our class and we all have our spots! My waiting for class to start is a catch up with fellow yogis.. I never see my fellow yogis other than at yoga.. I've been going to this class for over 2 years and I still don't know names!!

The studio I go to is small and the atmosphere is very friendly and casual since you see the same faces all the time. I usually chat with my neighbors while I do gentle seated forward folds, hip openers or spinal twists to warm up. But I will say-even in our small studio everyone has "their" spot in the room! People are territorial about mat placement lol! 

Yogabliss and YogaByCandace like this

I currently only go to a mums and bubs class so I spend time getting my baby settled and happy, or trying to get other babies to smile! That's if we actually get there on time...

If I go to a class by myself I sp the time gently stretching whatever is feeling tight/sore, or I just sit and people watch.

I like suptabaddhakonasana while I'm waiting. I always hope that we do it again later in the class so I can compare! I always feel a little guilty chatting so I try to stay quiet :)

Usually I just go for a long childs pose.  Other times I lay down on my stomach.  Recently, I have decided that the best way to wait for class to begin is to meditate.  I think it's silly to see people already busting out headstands, arm balances, and even down dogs before the class begins.   

I do legs up the wall for three minutes, then "V" my legs for a minute, ankle to knee against the wall for a minute on each side. Then I sit in easy pose and fold forward for a minute on each side. 

Really works the hamstrings and hips

I used to do a short warmup video, but I've been skipping it for the past few months and I haven't noticed any difference in my practice. Since I do yoga at home, I'm free to meditate for as long as I want before my actual yoga practice. This helps me calm down and get into the receptive mindset that allows me to get the most from my yoga practice. As I tend to meditate in half lotus I suppose it also opens up my hips, but that's not really my goal.

For me, strength days do incorporate some lifting, but they are just as likely to be purely yoga. So whether I'm lifting or just sticking to my mat, I use classical sun salutations as my go-to warm up.

I usually do poses that release tension in my hips and lower back. I've been trying to practice engaging my core while doing basic poses to prep my body for protecting my low back as I often have tension there because I'm not fully engaged.

My new go to is alternate nostril breathing!  Practicing this pranayama is a great way encourage energetic balance before class.