Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
araujo250

My Struggle To Follow Along A Yoga Video

8 posts in this topic

Hello Candace and YBC Community!

I am so glad to be here and have a opportunity to share what annoys me with you (sorry for my English!!). Well, I think that good online yoga videos (especially vinyasa yoga) which are a great alternative to yoga DVD videos because there is a variety of routines, flows and classes (and great instructors too!). But I am struggling to follow along certain videos. In some videos, the pace is a kind of fast. So, what can I do? Do I watch them first and then try to follow them along? Or do I hit the pause button and try to do the asana that I am seeing? Or do I try to follow the cues? Is there someone here who had to deal with that?  If so, what was the solution? 

Thanks in advance.

Ana Paula 

I've had the same problem, and the solution for me was to stop and find a slower video. I don't even click on anything with 'vinyasa' or 'flow' in the title, because I know it's going to be too fast and I'm going to end up frustrated. 

The thing I think you're supposed to do is to follow the cues, but at your own speed--so if you're a little behind the instructor, don't worry about it. I didn't do so well with the not-worrying part, but it seems to work for a lot of other people.

araujo250 likes this

I think you could find hundreds of other videos on youtube of slower yoga sequences. Eventually you'll get the confidence to move up to the faster ones. I find Candace to be a tad bit faster than most however I'm a huge huge fan of that. 

araujo250 likes this

I think most of us have been through exactly this, you're definitely not alone. I think when I first started I got to know the most common poses and started by getting to know sun salutations. Maybe you could have a look at some pictures of poses and the name so you can start to memorise them. Eventually when you get to know the names of the poses you'll barely have to look at the video but instead spend the time just listening to the instruction.

araujo250 likes this

I think most of us have been through exactly this, you're definitely not alone. I think when I first started I got to know the most common poses and started by getting to know sun salutations. Maybe you could have a look at some pictures of poses and the name so you can start to memorise them. Eventually when you get to know the names of the poses you'll barely have to look at the video but instead spend the time just listening to the instruction.

Jasmine, thank you for the piece of advice. I bought the Women's Health Big Book of Yoga (the link is here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=big+book+of+yoga)and it has a lot of beautiful pictures of asanas and their explanations. I hope it will help.  

knic and Jasmine like this

I find that happens to me quite often, but I just try to not let it bother me, and just go at my own pace. Often I'm so far behind, though, that I might have to skip a pose or two. I figure, if I keep working on that same video, a good way to know if I'm improving is if I can keep up and not skip any poses. Of course, some videos are just meant to be faster, and I assume that those are meant for a little more experienced yogis than I. :)

mimisouth, Hildegard and starslight like this

I sometimes find that if I watch a video by a new teacher I will find it harder to follow along with again. Each teacher has their own way of describing poses and transitions, so once you've practiced with the same teacher (either in real life or online) a few times you have to think a little bit less about what they're saying!

So maybe if there's a teacher that you like (such as Candace) work on their slower style videos first, and then progress to their faster ones?

knic likes this