Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Laura

Bikram Yoga

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I've never been to a Bikram yoga class, but I recently found a school here in my town and I'm curios, even if this style of yoga intimidates me a little. I'd like to hear your opinions and suggestions about it 

Have a great day and weekend! :)

I tried it out last month and it wasn't for me. There is a lot of controversy behind the man Bikram himself which did make me about wary about going hoewver it was the extreme heat in a 90 minute session that really 'killed' me :(

I'm not suited for a heated practice.  You however should try it out though :)

Laura likes this

Hi Laura!

I first started practicing yoga at a Bikram studio and I would go to their 60 minute condensed version of the Bikram series. (The 90 minute Bikram class has each pose repeated twice, while the 60 minute one had each pose only done once.) I actually didn't know that Bikram yoga was different from any other type of yoga class at the time haha! I loved it; it was a good physical challenge but it also helped me focus and relax. If you want to get a feel for it, I'd see if your studio offers the 60 minute condense version. I hope that helps and that you enjoy the practice! Hope to hear how you like it! =)

Laura likes this

I went for a period of about 18 months when there was a studio near my previous workplace and it was the most convenient at the time. I've heard good and bad things about it, it seems to be one of those polarising things where people either love it or hate it. The particular studio I attended was run by a bunch of young women and I really liked it. I experienced none of the scary things I'd heard about, and while the people who are "good" at it are usually at the front so you can see how you should be doing it, I found there was a mixture of experienced - all the way to middle-aged men and women who needed help modifying the postures because they couldn't reach their feet. People were also told at the beginning of the class if they feel overwhelmed they're welcome to sit down.

I suspect it could be a bit of a luck-of-the-draw as to how strict the teacher is, but it couldn't hurt to try one class just to see if you like it :) 

Meugenio and Laura like this

I just tried my first class Friday. I loved it. It didn't seem hotter than hot yoga, I'm thinking bc it was a well taken care of facility. I don't think I could handle doing it more than 2 days a week, but I do want to routinely add it to my current practice. You have no music, it's very focused. The same 27 poses every single time. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Laura likes this

I have a special place in my heart for bikram. It was like my gateway drug for regular yoga! I actually found it less intimidating than other forms of yoga because it was quite trendy at the time and a lot of my friends were doing it.

The biggest difference I found with bikram is that they encourage you to push poses to your absolute limits, and the mirrors mean there's a lot of comparison going on. Once I started other types of yoga I finally understood the "yoga mentality". I'd actually like to go to a bikram class again sometime to see the way I practice it now has changed!

Laura and nfenchak like this