Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kmccain90

Ways To Deal With Stress And Anxiety

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am currently struggling with anxiety and panic attacks. I've noticed that having a regular yoga and workout schedule helps me, but only for a short amount of time (couple hours post workout). I'm interested to find out if anyone has any tips to share of how they cope with stressful situations. Are there certain yoga poses you turn to in order to find your inner peace again? Do you have a mantra that you repeat to yourself when times get rough? Do you just take a few deep breaths? I know every person is different, but sometimes it's helpful to hear from other what works for them. It helps me get a new perspective on how to approach my own stress.

I think one of the best days of my life was when I finally went and asked for help from my doctor for my anxiety and panic attacks, and he sent me to a psychologist. I'll always be prone to panic attacks apparently, but she has given me a few tips. She was very happy with me doing yoga 2-3 times per week, I don't find any particular postures more helpful than others but the feeling of yoga in general is a distraction and good at releasing those endorphins.

Another thing was "three part breath" the second I feel even the slightest hint that an attack is coming, for example feeling my brows tense. That can help calm the fight or flight response if you're lucky enough to catch it in time. I also found doing it before sleep helped me to not wake up in the middle of the night in a panic.

One more thing which helped me, though I know everyone is different, is when I start obsessing over things...such as worrying about I don't know, my son at school for example, I have to try to tell that thought "not now, I'll deal with you later", so rather than trying to get rid of that thought altogether, you just say you'll deal with it later. Then when you have time at night you can set yourself up with a diary and a cuppa tea and write all of your frustrations down from the day. You can write whatever you want, no matter how offensive or frustrating it may be. I like to use that as a bit of time for myself as I have a husband, son, pets, household to run, work, etc. I like to literally lock myself in a room and people know they are not allowed under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES UNLESS SOMEONE IS DYING to open or touch that door to interrupt. I use that time if i need to write things down, just put a candle on and sit quietly, or listen to music, yoga. It's really healing for me knowing I get just that little bit of alone time at the end of the days.

Hildegard and kmccain90 like this

... I finally went and asked for help from my doctor for my anxiety and panic attacks, and he sent me to a psychologist....

Kudos to you for some excellent advice!

Any (or should I say all) "issues" should be brought to the attention of trained medical professionals.

Forums are a wonderful place to learn the best way to remove wall paper, gap a spark plug or go from low lunge to high lunge, but not necessarily the best place to resolve mental health related issues

Jasmine likes this

The first step is to see a medical doctor to find out if there may be any physical issues. Then ask that doctor for a reference to a psychologist or some type of similar care. 

The video below is very informative and helpful for anyone that wants to learn more about breathing in general and in yoga. There are various parts all through the video, some about calming breath. The inverted poses mentioned in the video are all simple lying on the back with the heart above the head, nothing difficult yet powerful results. A visit to a medical doctor may warn someone with high blood pressure that they should practice these poses very carefully. That is why it is important to first see a medical doctor and let that doctor know your intentions.

Neurophysiological Foundations of Yoga Breathing - Roger Cole PhD

.. for anyone that wants to learn more about breathing in general ...

Breathing for Your Better Health

By Sumathi Reddy
Jan. 26, 2015 5:28 p.m. ET

Take a deep breath and relax. 

Behind that common piece of advice is a complex series of physiological processes that calm the body, slow the heart and help control pain. 

Breathing and controlling your breath is one of the easiest ways to improve mental and physical health, doctors and psychologists say. Slow, deep and consistent breathing has been shown to have benefits in treating conditions ranging from migraines and irritable bowel syndrome to anxiety disorders and pain. 

“If you train yourself to breathe a little bit slower it can have long-term health benefits,” said Murali Doraiswamy, a professor of psychiatry at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, N.C. Deep breathing activates a relaxation response, he said, “potentially decreasing inflammation, improving heart health, boosting your immune system and maybe even improving longevity,” 

To help foster the habit of healthful breathing, a San Francisco technology startup recently launched a wearable device called Spire that tracks breathing patterns and tells users when they are too tense or anxious. “One of the goals of this work was, ‘How do you make it so simple to shift into calm or focus that people don’t have to stop what they’re doing?’” said Neema Moraveji, co-founder of Spire and director of the Calming Technology Lab at Stanford University...

Read more at http://www.wsj.com/articles/breathing-for-your-better-health-1422311283

Thank you all for your responses. I have already spoken with my doctor and am in the process for finding a psychologist as recommended to me. The irony of it all is the process of finding a psychologist I trust and can afford is triggering my panic attacks. I will have to try writing my anxieties and frustrations down to clear my head.

nfenchak likes this

Thank you all for your responses. I have already spoken with my doctor and am in the process for finding a psychologist as recommended to me. The irony of it all is the process of finding a psychologist I trust and can afford is triggering my panic attacks. I will have to try writing my anxieties and frustrations down to clear my head.

It took me years to finally go and see a doctor - it's not easy! The funny thing is when you write down everything you're anxious about you can sometimes read back and laugh at how ridiculous the stress over small things are  :lol:

If your experience is similar to people here, one of the first things a psych will get you to do is have some sort of a 'self care plan'. Meaning ensuring that you're taking time out to care for yourself - good food, exercise, enjoyment. So to me yoga can never be a bad thing for someone with anxiety  :)  I went in for anxiety as well as depression which are linked, and I definitely notice when I'm eating badly and slobbing around on the sofa instead of riding my bike etc I feel so much worse in every way.

kmccain90 likes this

there are some really weird psychs out there and quacks too. I would see if you can meet them before you agree to see them. I was seeing a grief therapist at a small facility and my kids were also there 1 x a week. I was seeing a really annoying psych who I was already seeing for anxiety. when my son passed away he threw me on heavy duty anti depressants and xxanax. after a bout a year I kept noticing one of the drs from the practice where I was receiving grief therapy. She was very very intelligent, classy. she would come out into the waiting room and talk to drug reps so she didn't get stuck in the back with them. Something about the way she greeted and said bye to her patients really made me like her. I have been with her for 5 years now & my husband goes now to. She is big into pilates and loves yoga and is so amazing at talking to me - she has helped me more with the grief than any of the therapists I've gone to and she is medical dr.....so there are some really amazing ones out there - just don't limit yourself to sticking with one if you don't like them....

yogafire likes this