Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dibeach

Hip Opening

6 posts in this topic

As I lay on my mat "opening my hips" this early morning I started to wonder why we do it. There is always so much mention of opening the hips in yoga. Can you tell me the point please. Not complaining you understand! Just seeking information.

PaulaH and Meugenio like this

I like to do hip openers because I can physically feel tightness and discomfort in my hips and low back if I don't do them. It just feels good to me and my body feels better and more open. I feel like an old lady creaking around if I don't hahaha! =D

EricaKaye, PaulaH, Katie and 1 other like this

As I lay on my mat "opening my hips" this early morning I started to wonder why we do it. There is always so much mention of opening the hips in yoga. Can you tell me the point please. Not complaining you understand! Just seeking information.

I answered my own question - at least Google did! For anyone who is interested there is an informative discussion here:

http://www.yogajournal.com/article/practice-section/hip-enough/

I have to sit on my mat for a few minutes cross legged every morning to open up my hips. If I don't do this, I feel tight for the rest of the day. I generally have tight hips which is quite the nuisance for me :( 

The teachers at the classes I attend usually have us 'open our hips' as soon as we walk through the door. I always assumed it's because we spend so much of our day sitting which tightens everything, so we have to counteract this by opening them up again. I could be totally making that up, but it's the only reason I can think of. 

I have to say, I regularly do Candace's hip opener videos and I always feel sooooo good afterwards. Tight hips can affect our bodies in ways we wouldn't even think of, i.e. our posture. 

starslight likes this

I always thought I was very flexible and fit until I started taking yoga classes. During my first supine pigeon pose, I realized I was definitely NOT flexible. I thought my occasional hip pain came from slight hip malalignment that was fixed right after birth. Hip opening has done wonders for my pain and range of hip movement. I also started wondering how anyone would "naturally" open their hips without yoga? Hip openers aren't exactly exercises that come intuitively or are included in the everyday range of motion.

EricaKaye likes this