Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Meugenio

Sequence Timing?

6 posts in this topic

Hi friends!

Candace and fellow awesome yoga instructors, how do you create a sequence or "time" a sequence so that it fits into a 30, 40, 60 minute etc. period? Thanks in advance for your input! =)

mimisouth and Laura like this

I am sure that others will have better insight, but here is what I do.  Initially I based it on knowing how other classes I was taking were structured in terms of time for warm up, standing, seated, balance, cool down etc.  I do not plan to the minute when I teach.  I know that I want about 10-15min of warming up (centering, childs pose, gentle shoulder stretches, twists, cat cows, rag doll etc).  I spend a little more time gradually getting into the standing poses with down dogs, sun's, hip flexor/hamstring stretches etc this I don't usually watch the time for but it is about 10-15min.  Then I get into the meat of my standing flow with standing poses, balance poses etc  I usually "over plan" this section and have an extra few poses I am okay adding or omitting as needed and try to make this last until there are 15-25min remaining in class.  I either do more backbends or seated poses  or go relatively quickly into a cooldown depending on the class length.  Not sure if that makes sense.

I would recommend taking a class you like and trying to model off of it. For example, if you really a 30min video that candace has, go through it and write down general timing: 2min centering, 5 min shoulder stretch, 10min standing flow etc   Then you can base a class off of that. 

I just worked a really long day so that might not make sense...but hopefully it helps.

I know for me I learned/ absorbed a lot of this when I had to observe classes during my teacher training.  To be honest when I'm taking a class I'm totally not aware of the time and how long we spend on each "segment" of the class.  When I was doing my observation time I made sure to take note of how long teachers spent on warming up, cooling down, standing, etc. and often write down the sequences so I'd have an idea of how long different sequences took when I started to plan my own classes.

For the first few months I often wrote out my class plan and then did the class myself to "test" to timing, but after awhile it became a bit more intuitive and I can plan a class having a general idea of how the timing is going to work out.

YogaByCandace and Meugenio like this