knic

New To Morning Yoga

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've been doing yoga for years but not consistently. I want to start doing yoga in the morning, every morning, and am starting off slowly with 15-20 minutes. This way I will get yoga in every day and start the day off right. Today was my first day.

But, I have found that my neck is very stiff in the morning (it always is...) and it's tough to do the forward-bends or anything where my head is bent forward. Anyone else experience this? Any tips?  :5:  :help:

Should I give myself more time before doing yoga to loosen my neck, or should I do it anyway and hopefully get rid of the stiffness during the practice? Any particular stretches I could do before yoga?

Thank you so much, for reading, and for any input you might have.  :31:

cookie118 and blueswampmusic like this

I basically rolled out of bed and onto my mat... didn't do a warm up... perhaps that's the problem!! What warm ups would you recommend?

I usually sleep on my side with one pillow and I don't find my neck *hurts* at all, it's more just a weird tense tightness that makes it tough to look down only... side to side and up are no problem.

...What warm ups would you recommend?...

I'm better at questions than I am at answers :)

But if I had to venture a guess, I'd guess neck rolls, cat/cows and wait for those with better knowledge to weigh in on this topic.

knic likes this

Have you tried warming up with Candace's 10 min gentle yoga for neck and shoulders? I like queuing this video first as my warm-up for all home practice sessions.

I'm a side sleeper too, but the tension is concentrated in my right neck and shoulder instead. Like Larry mentioned, sleeping with a neck pillow (the U-shape travel kind), which has helped a little. 

If you want a more intense neck release, I liked these neck stretches that are done starting at 4 minutes in this Forrest yoga video (same one I posted in your other thread about wrist strengthening - whoops, sorry to repeat material!).  Poor quality, but it was a good rendition of what my teacher in the studio has showed us.

knic likes this

I'm better at questions than I am at answers :)

But if I had to venture a guess, I'd guess neck rolls, cat/cows and wait for those with better knowledge to weigh in on this topic.

Thank you, Larry! I will try that. :) It seems I have a few "Problem Areas" to really work on before I can just "go with the flow."

Have you tried warming up with Candace's 10 min gentle yoga for neck and shoulders? I like queuing this video first as my warm-up for all home practice sessions.

I'm a side sleeper too, but the tension is concentrated in my right neck and shoulder instead. Like Larry mentioned, sleeping with a neck pillow (the U-shape travel kind), which has helped a little. 

If you want a more intense neck release, I liked these neck stretches that are done starting at 4 minutes in this Forrest yoga video (same one I posted in your other thread about wrist strengthening - whoops, sorry to repeat material!).  Poor quality, but it was a good rendition of what my teacher in the studio has showed us.

Thanks for the reply! That is great, it's actually really handy that two problem areas for me, wrists, and neck, are focused on in that Forrest yoga video! So it's actually a good thing to repeat that material, in my opinion! :)

I'll look into a better pillow, I've been eyeing those memory foam ones with the raised ridge on the bottom for your neck... probably better than the rando-pillow I use now. 

And I will add that neck and shoulder warm up to my morning! I think it's a great idea, thank you! The one I did this morning was pretty basic but had no warm-up, and now I know I will have to add a warm-up to any yoga routine I decide to do. I guess I just figured you could jump right into it without warming up... big surprise, that doesn't work well!  ^_^

That 10 min gentle yoga for neck and shoulders video by Candace is a seriously great discovery for me! It seems so simple and yet has made a huge impact on me in just a few days. <3 Love!! I have been running out of time in the morning but at least I know I can fit 10 minutes in.

Thank you to  viewsonic123  who posted a reply that I got in my email inbox, even though I don't see it here for some reason....

Do Mountain Pose, Downward Dog, and Warrior! It seems like I can handle doing those, even if I only have 5 minutes! :)