knic

Wrist Strengthening

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone else find that their wrists are not very strong? My wrists (and hands) get quite sore after a few downward-facing dogs or anything where weight rests on them. I'm finding that limits my practice, but I'm not willing to give up. Any suggestions for wrist-strengthening exercises? :)

I have an undiagnosed hand muscle problem that basically causes very sore thumb pads (the big spongy part below your thumb on your palm) for no reason (that I know of, possibly genetic b/c my mom has a similar issue) but the doctors just want to inject me with cortisone and I say, no, it's manageable. But that adds to the soreness when I put too much weight on my hands. But one day I will do a handstand! 

Also, just wanted to say, I love that I found a place to ask yoga questions! I'm way too shy to go to the yoga studio and ask them, they are all very advanced and I have never been good with accepting my own ignorance. It's easier, online.  <a href=http://www.freesmile

My wrists are weak, too.  Too much computer and mouse movement makes them vulnerable. But, I found out when I stretch them properly beforehand, the pain stopped.  

Someone asked a similar question, but it's more relevant to my own condition while yours is unique with the hand muscle. I posted some wrist releases and stretches that have helped me, could they possibly help you?

I work at the computer, too, so it's possibly caused by the same thing!

I've been on a computer a lot for my whole life, through high school and university and all jobs after that. 

Thank you, that video looks very helpful! I will try these stretches daily and see how they help!  :54:

When I was doing some rehab on my wrist and forearms, my physical therapist gave me this routine to strengthen my wrist and forearms:

1. Extend your arms out about shoulder length with your palm facing down and rapidly make a fist and open your fist. When you open your fist, stretch your fingers as wide apart as you get them.  Start with 30 sec and work your way up to several minutes. You can do this several times a day.

2. Then do the above exercise with your palms facing down.

3.  Sit on a chair and with your back straight, place your forearms on your thighs with your thumb pointed upward. Using a light weight with your palms face up, curl the weight up and down slowly for three sets of 20 reps. Start with a light weight and you can work your way up to 20 lb.

4. You can also do the above exercise with your palms facing down.

5. You can also put your palms on a table and stretch all your fingers and push down as you would do in yoga pose. Try to get your hands, fingers and palms as flat as you can. Start with 30 sec and work your way up to several minutes. You can do this against a wall also. Try to just used your hands, wrists and palms.

6. You can also get a towel and put some weights on the end of the towel  on a table and place your palms flat with fingers stretched at the other end of the towel. Then use your fingers and palms to pull the weight towards your palm.

7. For this last one, you will need a stick from a broom or a mop. Buy some weights which have a hole in the middle. Get some 4ft-6ft  twine, tie a knot to the weight and tie a knot to the middle of the stick. You can use any object, like a bag of sand. You can do this standing or sitting. Hold the stick with your palms facing down and twist the weight as the twine wraps around the stick. When the object reaches the top, twist your wrist the other way to make the object go down. Do as many as these as you can. This will build up your wrist and forearms.

Doing the above helped me a lot in building strength and dexterity in my hands and fingers.

Hopefully this will help.

Namaste.  

It is not good to have an undiagnosed problem. It is necessary to know what the problem is and what causes it in order to properly fix it.

Is the pain you experience directly under the thumb pad? Or a little more towards the center of the hand?

But there are some things that can help all of us regardless.

Our hands are designed for grasping and pulling. They are not designed for holding in an awkward position at a computer desk all day long. A good start is to adjust the keyboard, chair and screen to make this as least harmful as possible. I am unsure about my knowledge of this so I don't feel comfortable making suggestions. Hopefully you can find some help.

Yoga poses do not help with these types of hand problems. You notice the help above is not yoga. Yoga is actually harmful for this. Many types of yoga practices require heavy pushing with the hands (downdog and many others) There is almost no counter poses for this action. Remember hands are designed for grasping and pulling. We can injure our hands and wrists from all of the heavy pushing. But we can also strengthen our hands with yoga so no reason to be discouraged.

The only suggestions I can offer is: 

Try the advice in the above posts.

Pada Hastasana - hands under the feet forward fold

Upside down prayer - have the fingers pointing downward and the back of the hands pressing together, gently at first. Move the elbows up and down, in and out to find different places in your wrists that appreciate the stretch.

And chin-ups. But you don't actually have to do a chin-ups (yay!) Just hang from the hands and you don't even need to use full body weight. This one can be extremely effective, grasping and pulling with the hands and full weight of our body. But be very careful with this one because of the large amount of load placed on the hands with a possible injury.

In downward dog try pressing with the finger knuckles. And also push the finger knuckles in towards center-line. This action will create a connection all the way through the hands to the back. It may be difficult at first but after a month of practice it will become much better. And try to learn this action in other poses with weight on the hands.

Try to be very careful with all of them since you don't know what the injury is to your hands. Start gently and cautiously, if it helps that is good. If it makes the problem worse then stop.

I have no way to know the exact situation with your doctor. But injecting cortisone is a band-aid solution. And perhaps not a very safe one. It does nothing to figure out what the problem is and does nothing to cure the problem. It is good that you refuse to take the injections.  http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/cortisone-shots/basics/risks/prc-20014455