Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anahata

Hamstrings - Yj Article - Very Good Info

3 posts in this topic

The article below from the Yoga Journal is amazing. It is also amazingly difficult to read through in one go, at least least it was for me. When I was reading and practicing I broke it up into tiny parts and worked on each until I understood it.

YOGA JOURNAL YOGA PRACTICE

Long and Strong

BY ROGER COLE  |  

AUG 28, 2007

http://www.yogajournal.com/article/practice-section/long-and-strong/

So it is with your hamstrings. If you stretch by yanking on them, they’ll only yank back harder. But you can coax them to loosen up if you set them at ease and treat them right.

It’s well worth the effort to befriend these large, powerful muscles. They often carry an enormous amount of tension, so releasing them feels marvelously relaxing, both physically and psychologically. Lengthening them also helps protect your lower back. Your hamstrings anchor your sitting bones, limiting the forward tilt of your pelvis at your hip joints. This is good; it provides a stable base for your spine. But if your hamstrings are too tight, forward bending can strain your lower back and lead to serious injury. Even if your hamstrings aren’t particularly short, they can restrict your performance and put your back at risk in yoga postures that call for deep movement.

complete article here http://www.yogajournal.com/article/practice-section/long-and-strong/

sadhamstrings and EricaKaye like this

Thanks for sharing this Anahata! I am looking forward to reading it. My hamstrings are super tight and I feel like they are holding me back in so many poses! 

Great article, yeah, that's going to take many reads to digest properly.  Seems like it's incorporating PNF stretching? I hear people say that when they're doing the splits it often takes a couple of minutes for the muscles to stop freaking out until they can relax into the pose - more a case of letting go rather than forcing.   Although within time that period gets reset, so you can 'stretch' farther into the pose in a shorter amount of time.  As I understand it (i.e, I might be talking about of my backside) the stretch of the hams is all in the mind (central nervous system); that a corpse will never have tight hams. 

I remember a gruesome story of a wrestler.  He didn't land properly and ended up in the partial splits.  Then his 'opponent' dived on top of him his hams just ripped straight off the bone.   :(