Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EricaKaye

In A Yoga Slump! Help Me Find My Way Out!

11 posts in this topic

So I have found myself in a "slump" in my practice lately-and honestly just overall. Some of it is probably due to the miserable subzero temperatures we've had all month, it is making me feel 'blah'! I've missed most of my regular classes this month (and last!) because the studio is closed due to weather so often.

I have been staying active and practicing at home along with running and some circuit training but I'm feeling frustrated and stalled, especially in my yoga practice. I feel like I'm not progressing in my practice and possibly getting WORSE at some poses. Has this ever happened to you? How did you bust out of the slump? 

Meugenio likes this

A vacation type of yoga retreat. Explore the town, shop, drink wine, eat chocolate. Practice yoga on the beach and yoga by the pool.

Oh how I wish LarryD!  That is exactly what I need right now. I know a few days of yoga in the sun would do wonders for my spirit. 

Meugenio likes this

I feel that I am struggling too due to the weather (and my recent vacation).  However I do find that I'm extremely focused when I'm on the mat, so the hardest part is just getting there.  Once I put on a youtube video, I'm usually good to go for the entire practice :)

YogaByCandace and EricaKaye like this

Most mornings it's in the single digits, or below with the wind chill.
I get to my office around 5:30 and walk five minutes outside to get to the fitness center and wait for the doors to unlock at 6 am so I can practice. I wake up extra early so I can read the newspaper before heading out. I'm 56, been doing yoga every morning for four months (yeah, I'm a newb). I took off 70 pounds last year.
You want a motivation to get out of your funk, here it is...I am doing it

If I can do it, so can you!

haha, Larry, you are awesome.

I feel like I'm not progressing in my practice and possibly getting WORSE at some poses. Has this ever happened to you? How did you bust out of the slump? 

This definitely happens to me at least a few times a year, and there are a couple things I try: 

1. Stop doing yoga. I know, I know. Probably doesn't sound like the best plan, but I always find that if I take a solid breather from it, I feel rejuvenated and newly inspired once I get back on the mat.

2. Sign up for a workshop or master class. This might be hard if you're constantly getting snow and bad weather :(

3. Find new tunes or new readings that serve as inspiration

4. Pick a new focus. Binds, strength-building, etc. 

Hope that helps! 

EricaKaye, Meugenio and mimisouth like this

Is there any sunshine at all where you live right now? Have you considered that it might be seasonal affective disorder? I don't know much about it (I live in Australia  ;) ) but it could be affecting your mood and making you feel like you're in a slump.

Maybe try yin yoga for a little while? You don't need much energy for it but it feels amazing!

EricaKaye likes this

Is there any sunshine at all where you live right now? Have you considered that it might be seasonal affective disorder? I don't know much about it (I live in Australia  ;) ) but it could be affecting your mood and making you feel like you're in a slump.

Maybe try yin yoga for a little while? You don't need much energy for it but it feels amazing!

There is actually some sun today! It is still freezing but wonderful to see sun! I've wondered about seasonal affective disorder, I need to look into it a little more. I used to hit the tanning bed this time of year for the light and warmth but now I am reformed and stay out of them thanks to a little skin cancer scare! I need to find a much healthier alternative! 

Thanks for all the support and suggestions! It helps knowing this happens to other people once in a while too.

Larry-70 pounds in a year is awesome! Good for you!

Candace, thanks so much for your suggestions! I am signed up for an acro yoga workshop Saturday (with my non-yogi hubby!) so I'm hoping the weather cooperates and the workshop will give me the boost I need to get rejuvenated in my practice again. 

Meugenio likes this

So I have found myself in a "slump" in my practice lately-and honestly just overall. Some of it is probably due to the miserable subzero temperatures we've had all month, it is making me feel 'blah'! I've missed most of my regular classes this month (and last!) because the studio is closed due to weather so often.

I have been staying active and practicing at home along with running and some circuit training but I'm feeling frustrated and stalled, especially in my yoga practice. I feel like I'm not progressing in my practice and possibly getting WORSE at some poses. Has this ever happened to you? How did you bust out of the slump? 

I totally get where you're coming from! Some mornings I just want to stay in bed and be warm because I know once I get up I'll be cold lol. My body also seems to feel a bit tighter in the mornings because of the cold so, if I can't do a full practice if I'm scheduled to work one day, I just do a little flow between rag doll and garland pose while I'm waiting for my tea to be done. It just feels so so good!

One of the things I've been trying to do to keep me practicing is to focus on my breathing, letting go of expectations and really really slowing down my movements and transitions. I've found that sometimes it's like I'm running my own "yoga race," just trying to get through vinyasas and other flows as quickly as I can because I don't want to find discomfort in those positions. So lately I've been trying to focus on how everything feels in my body, especially those transitions that I'd rather breeze through and avoid.

starslight and EricaKaye like this

Are there any hot yoga studios close to you that you could attend? I used to loooove getting in that hot hot hot room during Winter here.

Some days I don't feel like doing yoga, even sometimes for a week on end. I find during those times a bit of yoga in bed before sleep, or a slow yin class is good for me  :)  I'm certain I've gone backwards in a few poses, but it really doesn't take long to get it back even if you need a break.

EricaKaye and Meugenio like this

Are there any hot yoga studios close to you that you could attend? I used to loooove getting in that hot hot hot room during Winter here.

Some days I don't feel like doing yoga, even sometimes for a week on end. I find during those times a bit of yoga in bed before sleep, or a slow yin class is good for me  :)  I'm certain I've gone backwards in a few poses, but it really doesn't take long to get it back even if you need a break.

There are no hot studios near me. Our studio has been struggling to keep the room heated above 65 in the mornings lately-brrr! That hasn't helped motivate me to get to my a.m. classes even when the weather is nice enough! Hot yoga does sound SO nice! I may have to take a little road trip to find a class! 

It really makes me feel less frustrated to know that going backwards or hitting a plateau is normal and I'm not "failing" at yoga! Thanks for your encouragement everyone!