krystaLEE37

At Home Yoga

21 posts in this topic

Hi :) I'm new here and am looking for some advice. I have been doing yoga for around 6 months, but am just recently REALLY getting into it, if you know what I mean. I just dabbled for the first few months, at first using it just to get into shape. The last month I've really been getting into trying to learn it as a way of life, not just a daily exercise. I'm getting very into the spiritual aspect as well. So, the advice I'm searching for.. I am on a very tight budget at the moment, and do not have the means to go to a class at a studio. Hopefully that will change in the future.. So I've been practicing at home to the primary ashtanga series DVD by Kino Macgregor. I really like it and am seeing a lot of improvement in myself in all areas, but I can't help but feel I am missing something as I have nobody to correct me if my form is off. I'm doing the best I can with what I have at the moment, and I am just trying to gather any suggestions from experienced practitioners of things to keep in mind while practicing at home (other than to go to a class, as that's not a possibility for at least a yr or 2). I'm just trying to improve and make the best of my home yoga practice. Any input would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

Krysta

I practiced at home for many years and I totally understand the frustration of knowing you need a little correction but not being able to get it! I would suggest using a variety of videos since different instructors will give different suggestions or cues that might help something click for you. Also, the how-to graphics that Candace posts on the blog are awesome. So are the "common mistake" graphics! Sometimes seeing how NOT to do something is even more helpful than seeing the right way!

Do you ever videotape your practice or take photos? Once I started doing this I was able to identify mistakes I was making in poses or see where I needed to make small adjustments. Seeing a picture of your practice can be quite an eye opener! 

It may also be helpful to read articles online or subscribe to a yoga magazine if that is in the budget. Yoga Journal offers a good amount of free content on their website even if you can't subscribe. 

Hope this helps! 

Meugenio, Laura and PaulaH like this

Thank you for your input! I have been doing all of those things, so I feel much more confident that I am on the right track! I thought that maybe I was over-researching, if that is possible, lol. Are there any DVD instructors in particular you would recommend?

Thanks again!

Krysta

EricaKaye and Meugenio like this

Krysta, I totally feel ya! I've been keeping up a home practice since late last July because 1. classes can definitely be mad expensive, 2. I sometimes have transportation issues and 3. sometimes class schedules just don't fit with my schedule. It's super awesome that you're doing everything you can to grow your home practice!

I'm a fan of Candace's Sweat DVD (see here!) and Kathryn Budig's Aim True DVD. If a library near you has yoga DVDs, I would totally check those out. I borrowed a ton in the past week or so but haven't gotten around to using them yet haha! I'll have to let you know if there are any others that I like. Hope this helps! =)

MrBalloonHands and EricaKaye like this

Yup, those are also the 3 reasons that its not possible for me as of right now to take a class. Im glad to hear I am not alone and that it IS possible to have an effective yoga practice at home. I don't think teaching is something I'd be interested in, but I definitely would like to take my yoga to a master level, SOME day!! Everything takes time though, and patience is a virtue, right? So I guess I will just keep doing what I am doing :) Thanks!! I will definitely look into those DVDs, I'd love to try Candace's!

Meugenio likes this

I like the Aim True DVD too! I only have that and the P90X yoga DVD but I like them both! YBC is my favorite on Youtube by far. I haven't found another teacher I enjoy and connect with on there so far (and I've tried a bunch!).

I first got into yoga by watching a cable t.v. program called Inhale with Steve Ross. I recently discovered a few of the old episodes are on Youtube now. They were fun, upbeat classes and I was so sad when the show ended. You might want to try them too :)  

Meugenio likes this

I like the Aim True DVD too! I only have that and the P90X yoga DVD but I like them both! YBC is my favorite on Youtube by far. I haven't found another teacher I enjoy and connect with on there so far (and I've tried a bunch!).

Mkay just on a quick unrelated note: I did the P90X yoga session with one of my dude roommates who was trying to do the whole series and I felt more frazzled after than before. Mostly because I felt like Tony was yelling at me the whole time hahaha! To each his own, I suppose! =D

EricaKaye likes this

Lol! 

Mkay just on a quick unrelated note: I did the P90X yoga session with one of my dude roommates who was trying to do the whole series and I felt more frazzled after than before. Mostly because I felt like Tony was yelling at me the whole time hahaha! To each his own, I suppose! =D

Lol! I could see how he could make you feel like that! Some days I like the "power" yoga thing and the more intense style. I did try a Jillian Michaels yoga video last week and I didn't care for it. I definitely felt like she was yelling at me the whole time lol! Her voice is so aggressive (for lack of a better word!) even when she is encouraging I feel like I'm in trouble! 

Meugenio likes this

Lol! 

Lol! I could see how he could make you feel like that! Some days I like the "power" yoga thing and the more intense style. I did try a Jillian Michaels yoga video last week and I didn't care for it. I definitely felt like she was yelling at me the whole time lol! Her voice is so aggressive (for lack of a better word!) even when she is encouraging I feel like I'm in trouble!

Haha! I don't think I'd do well with that! One of the things that I need in order to keep coming back to a certain DVD is to hear a nice monotone, calming voice. There's a yoga for back pain therapy by guiam TV that I was doing for a while and the woman's voice was SO calming! Its an awesome DVD by the way if anybody suffers from back pain. I am a dog groomer, so I'm on my feet 8 hrs a day.. I get a really tensed up back, and a lot of general back pain. Its very basic, as in the poses are extremely beginner, however, it did miracles for my back :)

EricaKaye likes this

I have practiced yoga for many years. Self taught and never had a teacher. I learnt yoga from books, before internet yoga, although I didn't discover yoga on the internet until about a year ago. It just never occurred to me to look for yoga there. It was very important for me to take the time to learn each pose very well. Often a quality book will have 6-10 pages for a single pose. It will describe the pose, all the variations, the physical and spiritual benefits, how a certain pose work with other poses.

I have seen Kino Macgregor Ashtanga and you might want to compare the Ashtanga teaching to something like the video below.

YBC has huge amount of material available. And you can come here and ask Candace questions, isn't that awesome.

KrystaLEE, I *just* asked pretty much the exact same question last week  :D  I love to do yoga at home by following youtube yoga classes (only Candace and Ali Kamenova). I'm also starting to become a lot more involved in the yoga mindset and lifestyle, and notice how great I feel in my everyday life since I started doing that. However, it's true that as my practice improves, I'm starting to become restless about wanting more guidance and external input from a teacher. Candace gave me a great answer to my question - here's the post:

EricaKaye likes this

Anahata, wouldyou recommend any particular books that would be worth investing in? And thank you very much for the information!

There was no where and no one available anywhere close to me that practiced yoga when I started my practice 4 years ago so I was really on my own. I started by reading on line and watching youtube videos. I then bought 2 dvds. Kathryn Budig's Aim True and Tara Stiles' Daily Yoga. Somehow I found MyYogaOnline which is now GaiamTV and subscribed for $10 a month. I found workshops and beginners videos on that site that spent lots of time on proper alignment and also lectures on many subjects that helped me understand all that yoga is. They even have recorded videos from actual workshops in studios and Wanderlust! Really cool!

Anahata, wouldyou recommend any particular books that would be worth investing in? And thank you very much for the information!

The best thing to do is go to a book store and find one that you like. There are many books that are very well done, just have to find something that you are interested in. Often one book can keep a person busy for years.

I really like that video of Kino's, it's great! The only thing is it flows sort of quickly and I guess the assumption is that the viewer knows the correct alignment. I started off at home, too, and found that when I went to a studio I was really on par with the students who had been attending studios long-term so there's something to be said for doing it at home. I find Candace's videos are good because she sometimes reminds you to check your alignment, i.e. pigeon pose that your back leg is straight and not out to the side. 

Another thing I've always done is if a posture doesn't feel quite right or I can't work it out, check Candace's common mistake pictures, and even google it to see if it's on youtube. I found a video once a while ago of chatarunga on youtube simply by googling 'chatarunga how to' and it changed my practice.

MrBalloonHands and EricaKaye like this

Hello, I am trying to start a Home Yoga Practice.  Does anyone have any good tips to get started? :)

I would say have a space which is away from all distractions. Always ALWAYS have your phone on silent or off while practicing :)

Good luck! :)

Robbie likes this

Hello, I am trying to start a Home Yoga Practice.  Does anyone have any good tips to get started? :)

About a month ago, one of friend's daughter asked me to provide a group of her friends some tips on how to start a yoga practice. So I decided to turn back time to see what advices that I would have like to have had when I started my yoga practice. So I thought I would share this with the group.

• Start by building a foundation. Consider either a sequence from Hatha, Yin or Restorative Yoga. Easiest would be to find a 15-20 min. sequence on YouTube for beginners. Don't start doing Vinyasa or Flow Yoga until you have spent some time familiarising yourself with some yoga postures.  iyengar Yoga is another good choice as it is rigorous for perfect alignment in each pose.
  • Learning how to breathe in Yoga is very important if not the most important. Let your breath guide you in every posture. Your breath will tell you how you doing in a posture. Some people will forget to breath when they come across a difficult posture. When you become aware that you are not breathing, take it back a notch until your breathing becomes normal and then try to move a little deeper into the posture. A long and even inhale and exhale is best. Later, consider learning the basic of Pranayama.
  • Learn to engage your whole body in every posture. Learn to draw strength from every part of your body for each pose. Learn how each part of your body is helping to support your pose. Every part of your body is doing something in each pose. Find out what that purpose is so you completely understand the pose.
  • Start a pose journal.  Start at Yoga Journal website as there are several descriptions of the same poses by different instructors. Makes a list of the do's and don'ts of each pose. Do a Goggle on basic and fundamental poses.  You will eventually find out that it's these basic poses that become building blocks for the more difficult poses.
  • Learn to be completely balance in every pose. Whenever you are unbalanced mentally, physically or spiritually, you will do be able to do a psoe correctly.
  • Learn some basic anatomy.  You need to know the parts of your anatomy as well as how each relates to each other. There are many anatomy books for yoga.
  • Learn how to use props correctly. They will offer support and let you know how a pose is suppose to feel like when you can do the complete pose. Sometimes they are used for restorative days.
  • Try to do your chosen yoga sequence every day for one month. It usually takes about 20 some odd days to create a habit.  
  • Be patient as there is never a need to go full out at this stage. This can only lead to pain or injury.
  • Don't compare yourself with other. Your practice will always be your practice. You are only competition is yourself.

Hopefully this will help you or someone else who is a beginner. I'm sure that there are a lot of things that I have missed. Please help me by filling in the holes. I wished I had these advices when I started yoga.

Namaste.

MrBalloonHands, KimK and amylousgar like this

• Try to do your chosen yoga sequence every day for one month. It usually takes about 20 some odd days to create a habit.  
  • Don't compare yourself with other...

Yup, the tip about habits is the best. Anything you want to add to...or remove from ... your daily routine only takes a few weeks!