Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tawlglass

Being Mentored By A Yoga Teacher

4 posts in this topic

Hey forum peoples!! 

Lately I've been feeling the urge to soak in more yoga info. (Books are great and I am really super open to suggestions there. The Eastern Religion section of Barnes & Noble has piqued my interest!) But I think it'd be awesome to have a teacher to learn from on a personal level.

What's the best way to connect with a teacher you really like and want to learn from? Sometimes, teachers honestly give off the busy vibe and like they aren't so interested in knowing their students deeply. Which is understandable to the extent of not wanting to be too involved in your students personal lives...

Do any of you have yoga teachers that have taken you under their wing? How'd it happen/what'd you do?

Have a great day!! [Or night depending on where you live hehe] 

xx Latiana

:13: I love this!! And hope you find someone amazing - I know the right person is out there for you! 

I would suggest ironing out what exactly it is you're looking to get from the mentorship, and what would it entail on the part of the teacher. Is it just an exchange on email once in a while? A weekly/monthly meet-up to discuss things important to you that he/she may be able to shed light on? Figure out the details, be clear on your intentions and then, send an email or just ask a teacher you like to meet for coffee/tea and present the idea. Hope that helps! 

tawlglass likes this

I think I felt more confident with a previous teacher when I went super frequently and made an effort to go to her classes only. This was Bikram so it was a little different as they don't really go around and do things with individual students, but she saw me injure myself once and she pulled me aside after class and spent a good half an hour explaining things to me. She would always chat with me before and after class, too. I found that teachers are always sort of keeping an eye on everyone, but take a little while to get to know us - as we do with them. 

If I were a millionaire, I'd actually really like to hire someone for a few individual classes. I really want to learn things like handstands etc but the studios I go to don't generally do that sort of thing and I'm too scared to try on my own despite having done it in the past and simply losing the skills and confidence.

Never checked back in on these replies. Thanks ladies! I did end up nabbing one! But I am finding the intent (as you mentioned, Candace) is not completely there. So I'm going to chat with her about that. I'm particularly looking to learn how to grow as a teacher in spirit and in leadership as well as physically, of course. Lol :P

I ended up asking her after class, cleaning up the studio. Felt like the right time! But we haven't kept into doing much since then. This was several months ago, and I just realized that's been missing. :ph34r: 

yogafire likes this