melinda

Crow Pose And Brusied And Sore Next To The Spine.

8 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone! When i train on  Crow pose, i get bruise on the upper arms and knees,is this normal? Have noticed that after i have been practicing yoga,i get hurt just next to the spine between the shoulder blades, so does hurt when i pull my shoulders back and up. Wondering what it could be? Could it be an inflammation of my spine or is it just tight muscles? What can i do about it?

I used to get bruising on my triceps when practising crow.. This doesn't happen so much now as I've improved my crow pose! Must be doing it right now.. Keep practising it will get better. Good luck.

melinda likes this

I have a lovely collection of bruises on my upper arms, but I was blaming grasshopper pose rather than crow pose, which isn't a pose I practice as often or I struggle as much with. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one, though I wish I didn't get them. It's too hot for me to wear long sleeved shirts to cover them no matter how ugly they look.

Hi Melinda, We always have to be careful with pain or injuries. It was good that you recognized this and asked. Sometimes stretching and exercise or yoga can help with injuries. Sometimes it can make them worse. The spine and knees are areas to be particularly careful with. That is something for you and your doctor to diagnose. 

It sounds like you have some good things working in Crow and some that are not so good. Bakasana (Crow) is usually learned with the knees pushing into the back of the triceps which I suppose is a place to start but as you found out doing it like that can cause problems as well. The knees are suppose to be on the outside of the arms squeezing into the outside of the arms near the armpits. This way the core is more engaged. This takes a lot of strength and is very difficult. The proper learning poses are important first.

If someone is doing the pose correctly much of the effort comes from the center of the middle back between the shoulder blades. There should be a rounding of the back in this spot. Which is where you said you have been experiencing some pain. It sounds like this is a weak area in your back. Or another place in your torso is week and transferring the strain to this area. Keep in mind that I am not a yoga teacher, I am not with you in person to see what is going on, so this is just a best guess over the internet. A little information for you to investigate.

This is a list of preparatory poses for crow. More gentle strength building poses to practice AFTER the bruising and pain is feeling better. 

Adho Mukha Svanasana (Down Dog), Garudasana (Eagle Pose), Chaturunga Dandasana (Four-Limbed Staff Pose), Malasana (Garland Pose), Navasana (Boat Pose), Phalakasana (Plank Pose),  Marichysana A (Sage Marichi’s Pose), Bidalasana (Cat Pose).

PaulaH likes this

I get bruises on my triceps area as well. My bigger problem, though, is that my knees stick out sideways over my arms during crow. I can't seem to keep them stacked on top of my triceps. Is this a matter of needing more practice? Sorry to hijack this thread for my query, but everyone here is so helpful  :)

Thanks so much for your answers!! Its very helpful. Crow pose have to wait a while, when i get pain in my right knee i destroyed my meniscus a few years a go. Must also train the muscles in my stomach more so i can stay up in the pose. Thanks everyone.

I get bruises on my triceps area as well. My bigger problem, though, is that my knees stick out sideways over my arms during crow. I can't seem to keep them stacked on top of my triceps. Is this a matter of needing more practice? Sorry to hijack this thread for my query, but everyone here is so helpful  :)

Hi Paula, see this topic for help and yes practice everyday!

Thanks so much for your answers!! Its very helpful. Crow pose have to wait a while, when i get pain in my right knee i destroyed my meniscus a few years a go. Must also train the muscles in my stomach more so i can stay up in the pose. Thanks everyone.

Hi Melinda, it is good to hear from you. You injured your meniscus a few years ago? Has this problem been dealt with so it does not cause you problems now? I believe one of the warnings with a meniscus problem is avoid squatting. This is something we can't help you with over the internet. It is something that a medical professional will help you with.

The knee is a hinge joint only. Never any twisting or pain in the joint. This rule should never ever be broken. 

If you don't have issues with your knee and you like Crow pose you can still practice it. Start in Malasana, which is squatting and enjoy that pose. Make sure it is safe for your knee first. The next step is to start crow pose but leave your feet on the ground. Or you can put a block under your feet to raise the height of your feet. Use your feet to support the weight gently rock back and forth to put a little more weight into the hands. Then a little more and an eventually you will be able to lift one foot at time then both. Find an easy place in the pose and practice proper alignment and form. If you learn this well at the beginning as you continue further into the pose this proper alignment will stay with you. Don't push for too much too soon.

YBC Crow Pose
Crow Pose … How to do crow pose … 

YBC Common Mistakes in Crow Pose
common mistakes in crow pose … , learning how to do crow pose was a pivotal moment in my personal yoga practice. All of the sudden...

Hello. I have trained a bit on the crow today ,can tell its been a while  :P . I can get my knees up to my triceps but i do like that i have the knees outside of the arms at the elbows,otherwise i cant do it.I think its easier but i have to get more arm strenght before i dare to lift up my feet, i used the yogablock today and rock gently back and forth to check the weight.  So i will used my yoga block and pracice crow pose with.