Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BekahBlue

200 Hour Vinyasa - How Do You Know When?

12 posts in this topic

Candace, other teachers, and those about to start their teaching certification:

One question that I've been asked repeatedly, but don't know the answer to myself.

I've been practicing yoga (regularly) for about 2 years now, and would very much like to take my first teaching certification course.  I've been asked by family members when I plan on getting certified, but I'm not sure.  How do you know when you're ready?  I'm very confident in a lot of my practice, but I'd be mortified to show up for certification only to find I know nothing.  Is there anything you can recommend to prepare for certification?

Many Thanks! <3

Bekah

Candace, other teachers, and those about to start their teaching certification:

One question that I've been asked repeatedly, but don't know the answer to myself.

I've been practicing yoga (regularly) for about 2 years now, and would very much like to take my first teaching certification course.  I've been asked by family members when I plan on getting certified, but I'm not sure.  How do you know when you're ready?  I'm very confident in a lot of my practice, but I'd be mortified to show up for certification only to find I know nothing.  Is there anything you can recommend to prepare for certification?

Many Thanks! <3

Bekah

I feel like yoga teacher training is a lot like any other course you'd take in school. You show up, and maybe you have a bit of a background knowledge. Some people will certainly know more, and some will know less. That's ok. The beautiful thing is that each and every single person in that training knows something that the other doesn't. Think of it as an opportunity to learn and grow and share what you already know as well, and don't worry about being ready. I know I certainly didn't feel ready! I remember getting to Thailand a few days before my program started so I could get a handle on the time change. I sat by the pool at my hotel and pulled out the reading materials they had sent. I had read them but I felt like I had retained nothing. I have been practicing for like ten years and still felt like I had so much more to learn...but that's why you go! :)

Shawn, Yogabliss and BekahBlue like this

I feel like yoga teacher training is a lot like any other course you'd take in school. You show up, and maybe you have a bit of a background knowledge. Some people will certainly know more, and some will know less. That's ok. The beautiful thing is that each and every single person in that training knows something that the other doesn't. Think of it as an opportunity to learn and grow and share what you already know as well, and don't worry about being ready. I know I certainly didn't feel ready! I remember getting to Thailand a few days before my program started so I could get a handle on the time change. I sat by the pool at my hotel and pulled out the reading materials they had sent. I had read them but I felt like I had retained nothing. I have been practicing for like ten years and still felt like I had so much more to learn...but that's why you go! :)

Awesome! That's what I was hoping to hear, lol!  I was so worried that I'd get there and see all these people pumping out amazing poses while I was there thinking, "I learned a backbend three months ago? o_O"  Thanks for the advice! Greatly appreciated!

YogaByCandace likes this

I attended 200 hrs Vinyasa flow teacher training this summer and was a bit worried about the same thing before going. My practice was relatively strong already, I could do some advanced poses (headstands, handstands against the wall, wobbling crow etc.), but more importantly I trusted my body and felt strong in the basic flow sequences. It turned out that I was somewhat in the middle; there were far more advanced students in the group, but also those who needed to build more strength in their chaturangas. As far as the actual asana training goes, having a strong foundation without being able to perform all the tricks you see on Instagram is enough for teacher training.

However, what I struggled with was the Sanskrit, the history of yoga and the teaching of the subtle body. At least in my training, they formed a huge part of the curriculum. We studied these things 6 hours a day! So to make you life a bit easier, especially if you are planning to take an intensive course, try to learn Sanskrit as much as possible (at least the names of poses, the eight limbs, the chakras, the koshas and so on). This way you can really focus your energy on asanas, assisting and sequence planning and the spiritual side of yoga on the actual course. Good luck!

I don't know why but I feel like I need to explain and apologize for the yoga teacher training I'm in the middle of. I have been practicing for over 4 years and have access to many videos and teachers via an online subscription. It is an excellent site and has more info than just yoga practices. It has class, workshops, anatomy and in dept instruction videos. I also love your pose diagrams and learn much from your web page. I am miles away from a yoga studio and until recently haven't had but a handful of studio practices. I have been to a couple of workshops given by well know yogis and loved them. My issue is this. I can't be away from my job for financial reasons and can't afford a yoga teacher training at this time. I'm 53 and don't have a problem with the fact that I'm an older yogi just getting my training but I am in the middle of an on line, at home study teacher certification training. I have checked it out and they also have training at their facility but I just can't financially afford to go. I feel like I may be looked down on for not having a hands on class but this is the only way I can do it. I do plan on attending workshops and retreats in the future when I get certified. I read and study everything I can get my hands on and watch instructional videos instead of movies! I know alignment sequencing is so important and focus a lot on that.I want to bring yoga to my small rural town! 

Yogabliss, Oak and Reggi like this

What is the subtle body?

It's basically how the non-physical human body is described in Eastern philosophies. It consists of prana (life force), chakras (energy points), nadiis (energy channels) and different sheaths (koshas). The whole concept of the subtle body in yoga is quite esoteric, but if you keep an open mind it's also quite interesting :) I suppose studying the subtle body is included in all Yoga Alliance certified teacher trainings.

I don't know why but I feel like I need to explain and apologize for the yoga teacher training I'm in the middle of. I have been practicing for over 4 years and have access to many videos and teachers via an online subscription. It is an excellent site and has more info than just yoga practices. It has class, workshops, anatomy and in dept instruction videos. I also love your pose diagrams and learn much from your web page. I am miles away from a yoga studio and until recently haven't had but a handful of studio practices. I have been to a couple of workshops given by well know yogis and loved them. My issue is this. I can't be away from my job for financial reasons and can't afford a yoga teacher training at this time. I'm 53 and don't have a problem with the fact that I'm an older yogi just getting my training but I am in the middle of an on line, at home study teacher certification training. I have checked it out and they also have training at their facility but I just can't financially afford to go. I feel like I may be looked down on for not having a hands on class but this is the only way I can do it. I do plan on attending workshops and retreats in the future when I get certified. I read and study everything I can get my hands on and watch instructional videos instead of movies! I know alignment sequencing is so important and focus a lot on that.I want to bring yoga to my small rural town! 

Aw, you do not owe anyone any apology for what you're doing! You're doing the best you can with what you have, and it sounds as if you're devoted to learning and really soaking up as much info as you can, so any student who gets a chance to take your class will be super lucky. Wishing you the best!

yogagrammy and andiphant like this

I attended 200 hrs Vinyasa flow teacher training this summer and was a bit worried about the same thing before going. My practice was relatively strong already, I could do some advanced poses (headstands, handstands against the wall, wobbling crow etc.), but more importantly I trusted my body and felt strong in the basic flow sequences. It turned out that I was somewhat in the middle; there were far more advanced students in the group, but also those who needed to build more strength in their chaturangas. As far as the actual asana training goes, having a strong foundation without being able to perform all the tricks you see on Instagram is enough for teacher training.

However, what I struggled with was the Sanskrit, the history of yoga and the teaching of the subtle body. At least in my training, they formed a huge part of the curriculum. We studied these things 6 hours a day! So to make you life a bit easier, especially if you are planning to take an intensive course, try to learn Sanskrit as much as possible (at least the names of poses, the eight limbs, the chakras, the koshas and so on). This way you can really focus your energy on asanas, assisting and sequence planning and the spiritual side of yoga on the actual course. Good luck!

Maria thank you so much for posting this.  I'm considering doing a training next year and worry so much about if my practice is ready or advanced enough.  Your description of where you were when you started sounds a lot like me right now. Headstand and crow are finally starting to click for me!  I'll definitely have to look into memorizing some Sanskrit as even now I'll sometimes get confused in class when a teacher uses a Sanskirt name rather than English.

Shawn likes this

Aw, you do not owe anyone any apology for what you're doing! You're doing the best you can with what you have, and it sounds as if you're devoted to learning and really soaking up as much info as you can, so any student who gets a chance to take your class will be super lucky. Wishing you the best!

Thanks Candace! Your videos and pose pics really help! I sometimes just listen to how a teacher presents a class and how poses are introduced. I know the best way is go from the foundation up!

YogaByCandace likes this

@yogagrammy Thank you for asking how you did about online programs. I'm currently living in a foreign country where I don't know the language and think finding an in-person certification class would be very difficult. I had also been wondering about taking an online course if that's my most reasonable option right now. I feel like I'm just starting to take my journey toward becoming a yoga instructor seriously and have a long journey ahead, wondering if an online course would be a great place to just expand my knowledge and understanding of forming/conducting a class vs just attending one. 

Yogabliss likes this

I'm getting my certification I'm getting my YTT in is northwestyogaacademy.com. They have YTT at their facility and also have a yoga alliance program called yoga faith. I am giving this info out but it is totally up to each individual to choose a program. I am not associated with them other than my own enrollment and don't get anything out of recommending them. I looked into several on line options because that is right for me at this time. I'd prefer to be in a studio taking hands on classes but that just isn't accessible to me at this time. I would recommend doing extra work and research on your own. I watch all the videos and read articles and books every chance I get and have my own practice each day. I came across Yogabycanace :47:  by chance looking for good videos and instruction. After I get my certification I will take workshops and other types of instructional classes to acquire the most knowledge I can with good instructors.

Yogabliss likes this