Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helenschki

Best Yoga To Release Feelings

8 posts in this topic

I saw that Candace is going through a stressful period (I've retweeted and Igd but have private accounts so think you don't get notified) and so am I (big move got married new country new continent new job where I literally have to work my --- off a mum in hospital since October last year constantly life threatening condition and my sister's unborn baby died recently she was 6 months pregnant, sorry somehow it helps to scribble it down).

Anyhow at times during yoga I get such a strong emotional response that I have to keep myself from sobbing during practice. And although it's a bit embarrassing I cherish it because I generally have difficulties letting my emotions out you know when you just don't know what to feel because subconsciously you pushed all your emotions deep down. But it's not always like that or more correctly it's almost never like that. But I feel I could need some healthy cleansing atm feeling-wise, and wanted to find out if you have any advice on a ehm practice for emotional release. Are there any particularly mindfreeing poses or flows one could use?

cookie118 likes this

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through such a tough time period. Sending you a virtual hug and lots of love to get through all these hurdles. Have you noticed that you store emotions in certain areas of your body? For example, for some people hip opening flows are really, really emotional for them. For others, it's heart opening. Maybe see what resonates most with what you need and take it from there? Sorry, I feel like that's not that helpful

helenschki likes this

Oh thank you so much, life is as it is and difficult times make you appreciate the good ones even more.

I think that's a great advice re focus on where emotions are stored I'm gonna look for some heart opening flows :).

I am not at all qualified to respond, but I somehow feel compelled to add that I personally have never had a big emotional release in a home practice session, but I have in classes. I think in my case it might be the animal part of myself responding to the support implied by practicing with other people and with someone leading.

Best wishes to you and your family.

helenschki likes this

I lost my youngest son in accident in our home 7 years ago. My 2 sons and I were diagnosed with PTSD by 2 different doctors over the accident. I tried very hard to do therapy - group, individual, even couples with my husband. Nothing worked the way yoga did. The yoga I took was with a therapist for people who were suffering from anxiety issues and depression. She was a certified yoga instructor and working on her masters in therapy & so she combined the 2. I would spend the entire session with tears just running down my face and then afterward felt a peacefulness I didn't feel from anything or anyone else. It was a flowing yoga, but with focusing on breathing - so I don't want to say it was Hatha or Vinyasa - almost seemed a combo of the two - but it seemed like what really helped was that she knew at certain times the right things to say that allowed me to start to heal. After her series ended (I want to say it was 8 weeks long), I ended up going to a few of her classes at a studio & it wasn't the same, but it was very comforting - there were a few instructors who gave me a similar peace. I think it really opened the door for my healing to start, then I began running and put yoga aside. When I started back up - it was more to help with aches and pains from running & the flows I'm now addicted to. Hope this helps - peace and love to your family. Finding a proper way to greive and heal are the best steps for anyone.

helenschki likes this

Here is an interesting article about why some people cry after a great experience on their yoga mat:

http://blog.yogaglo.com/2012/10/why-are-students-overcome-with-emotions-after-yoga-class/

Here is a more relevant link to your question about emotions and yoga poses:

http://www.melindalippert.com/my-energy-therapy-techniques/yoga-for-emotional-healing-2/

helenschki and cookie118 like this

oh gosh I am so very sorry for everyone's losses. How terrible :(

I actually had my first ever tears during yoga during a youtube yin yoga session at home the other day. I've been struggling a little bit with fertility and have to have a minor surgery to fix up a few things and I thought I was being super strong considering I'm already a bit prone to anxiety and depression, then BAM yin yoga - the instructor said something about thinking how lucky you are and I just lost it  :19:  I'm not sure whether it was the actual quote, or the fact with yin yoga you hold the poses for so long and you're sort of in a way left alone with your thoughts because you're not really thinking about breathing or your next posture. It certainly worked for me despite never even feeling slightly sad emotions during yoga in the past.

helenschki and Vicky like this

Hey I thought I had replied weeks ago must have missed to press post button. Thanks for the good advice and for sharing.