Andrea

Three Legged Dog

7 posts in this topic

I am having a lot of trouble getting my legs up in that position and my hips never want to stay square. Any tips on how to get better flexibility while keeping my alignment? 

This is one of the poses I hate doing.  Which means it's probably the most beneficial to me :(  I used to hate Pigeon too at the beginning.

I love pigeon. I'm on the floor so I have more control over the stretch. Its just every time I do three legged dog my hip just wants to go up with my foot and I get frustrated.

starslight likes this

Hi Andrea,

Don't lift the leg so high. Maybe the foot is only just off the floor to start. And stop lifting when the hip starts to open. Stay in that spot until it gets comfortable then lift a little higher. That means at the moment and over time, months, years maybe. On the lifted leg try pointing the toes inward a lot, towards the opposite side.

The other way to approach it is from the top. Lift the leg way up and let the hip open as much as it wants to. Then bring the leg down some putting effort into squaring the hips.

This doesn't sound like a flexibility issue, it sounds like a strength issue.

Try some hip stabilizing poses. This link isn't exactly yoga but you can see how all the postures look the same. I put it in here because it has many little steps (we always like that) And add some more standing balance postures. If balance isn't your thing today make it easy for yourself and put your fingers on a table or wall. This way you can stay in the pose much longer and build up strength.

https://www.princeton.edu/uhs/pdfs/PelStabHip-StrenPro.pdf

See how it goes and come back here for more help if you like.

And always my notice that I am NOT a yoga teacher.

mimisouth and starslight like this

I always groan when this one comes up because I know I'm going to be shaking out my fatigued carpal-tunnel-y wrists for the rest of the practice.