Laura

Detox Yoga

8 posts in this topic

What do you think about detox yoga? I'm talking about effectiveness of certain poses and flows that are supposed to detoxify the body due to different compression on internal organs. I know this issue is a little bit controversial in yoga environment, so I'm trying to learn something more about it. Beyond that, I love this kind of sequences, they make me feel great and in a very good mood :-)

I understand how controversial some of these types of yoga can be. I get a little disheartened when I see yoga programs advertised as "yoga for weight loss" or "yoga for sinuses" (I've actually seen that!) - The thing is, yoga can be an excellent supplement to a deeper program, but in my opinion yoga alone will not make people lose weight or cure their sinus issues...or detox completely, for that matter. The root of the issue has to be addressed - examining diet and lifestyle, and then the yoga can be a nice add-on.

That being said, I did a lot of detox yoga when I was going through my treatment for lyme disease. I often felt really sick after the sequences, which is generally attributed to the yoga getting the lymph moving and eliminating toxins, so I definitely believe the compression of the internal organs and the detoxing sequences stir things up and are beneficial to the body...I just wish they weren't marketed as quick fixes. (And, I'm not saying they're all marketed that way..) 

Kelly, Laura, Gise-P and 1 other like this

I once came across the Facebook post of a yoga instructor which claimed that drinking hot water makes your hair grow faster, eliminates cellulite, etc. When I asked her how that works (genuinely curious. If it's scientifically proven, I'm all for it!), she was unable to give me any answer at all. Replied by asking me how does flipping a switch turn on electricity. While I could have explained the process to her, I didn't want to look like a troll. This person refers to herself as the yoga instructor to the stars and seems to have a decent following. I hate that she abuses it by posting these false quick fixes.

Hi, 

In my understanding, "detoxing" is something that is constantly going on in our bodies - it is the primary task of most of our inner organs. And they (the organs) are very good at that. So I think it may be a bit of a misunderstanding to think that we have to do certain things like drinking hot water to initiate that proces. But of cource our internal organs too can suffer from a too laid back lifestyle or an unhealthy diet. Increasing physical movement or changing diet may help with that. And I do think yoga is a great help in that. I am constantly surprised that I will go into a yogasession feeling hydrated and 30 minutes later I feel like I haven´t had water for days! Something happens, that speeds up the good processes in the internal organs and that requires a lot of water  :P

In general I think it´s necessary to be quite skeptical these days with the internet overflowing with personal opinions being dressed up as evidence. 

Kelly, yogagrammy, Laura and 7 others like this

Hi, 

In my understanding, "detoxing" is something that is constantly going on in our bodies - it is the primary task of most of our inner organs. And they (the organs) are very good at that. So I think it may be a bit of a misunderstanding to think that we have to do certain things like drinking hot water to initiate that proces. But of cource our internal organs too can suffer from a too laid back lifestyle or an unhealthy diet. Increasing physical movement or changing diet may help with that. And I do think yoga is a great help in that. I am constantly surprised that I will go into a yogasession feeling hydrated and 30 minutes later I feel like I haven´t had water for days! Something happens, that speeds up the good processes in the internal organs and that requires a lot of water  :P

In general I think it´s necessary to be quite skeptical these days with the internet overflowing with personal opinions being dressed up as evidence. 

You have the most beautiful way with words! "Personal opinions being dressed up as evidence." Woah. I like that.  :)

Csilla and Oak like this

You have the most beautiful way with words! "Personal opinions being dressed up as evidence." Woah. I like that.  :)

Thank you Candace  :)

I believe a full yoga practice where you focus on different types of poses each day is the way to a more healthy body. I think there are poses that you can focus on to help with different problems you may have including physical, emotional and spiritual. Give each part of you a little love and if you have an issue that is giving you a little more trouble give that part a little extra love.

Reggi and YogaByCandace like this

I believe a full yoga practice where you focus on different types of poses each day is the way to a more healthy body. I think there are poses that you can focus on to help with different problems you may have including physical, emotional and spiritual. Give each part of you a little love and if you have an issue that is giving you a little more trouble give that part a little extra love.

I so agree with you! You say emotional, I use yoga to treat my depression and it's has been the best treatment ever! As for detoxing, I use a combo of diet and yoga. I know that just doing yoga is not going to completely detox me. I do oil pulling daily to help. I have also experienced the sicky feeling after doing detox yoga sequences. So I believe that it does play a role. I just don't think it's enough if you're looking to really detoxify.
YogaByCandace likes this