Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EricaKaye

Rest Days Vs Active Recovery

4 posts in this topic

I have been trying to increase the intensity and number of my workouts, aiming for 6 days a week. My workouts include yoga, running and circuit training. My question is: On your day off is it better to simply take a day and do nothing or is it more beneficial to do some kind of active recovery like gentle yoga, foam rolling, etc.? Is it personal preference or from a fitness/training perspective is one more beneficial to the body than the other?  Thanks!  :)

Either/or is fine, it's all personal preference depending on how you feel. If you are going to have an active recovery day, then foam rolling and stretching would be great. If it's going to be yoga, choose something restorative like yin or gentle yoga. It's definitely better not to just lay around all day on the off day. Going for a short walk is a good alternative to a more active recovery day. If you're working out often and then just lay around all day on the off day you might feel pretty terrible when you're ready to get back into working out.  :54:

EricaKaye and LeanandBreath like this

Thank you! That makes sense and it will probably help me avoid some of the soreness from taking a day off completely. Now I just have to master the foam roller-ouch!  :D

MrBalloonHands likes this

I'm about to start a program on Monday (I swear - starting THIS Monday!!) and it entails 3 days per week spaced out of high intensity exercise (so weights and so on), then two days of low intensity such as gentle cycling or walking, and one day for stretches and foam roller, and one day completely off. This suits me, but I would imagine some people are a lot more active than me and would prefer to spend their off day doing something gentle. Not me. I'll be sitting on the sofa  :lol: