Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JennZ

Yoga & Strength Training

6 posts in this topic

Hi yogis (do beginners get to use that term yet?!),

Where do I begin? I guess I'll start by clarifying why I'm posting. I need some guidance and advice about how to incorporate yoga into my already packed fitness schedule. About a year ago, I began training for a bodybuilding competition in an effort to lose weight. I hired a trainer, cleaned up my diet, began lifting weights and cardio-ing ever day (literally, every day...sigh). I reached my goals and lost 16% body fat. I am still strength training five days a week, and hitting the cardio 4-6 times a week. That being said, I'd like to start including yoga in that routine without sacrificing lifting days. I took a hot yoga class last week at this adorable, serene yoga studio near me, and I enjoyed the challenge, pace, and stretch that I was feeling! I also realized that although I lift a lot for my size, my flexibility is almost non-existent (womp, womp). I plan on attending this class each Saturday, but is there a way for me to incorporate shorter yoga session (maybe pick various poses to work on?) to each workout? Does anybody else have a similar workout schedule that they have successfully included yoga?

Thank you!

-Jenn

Hey Jenn! Congrats on meeting your goals, I bet that felt ah-mazing! I workout similarly (though I don't do cardio that often, mostly because cardio - woof - is my least favorite thing in the world). I vary my workouts between really heavy lifts and circuits with less weight. The day after I do really heavy lifts, I find my flexibility to be...um, lacking  :1: , so I'll start my gym sesh with 30-40 min hatha yoga to work on the flexibility. On circuit days, I'll usually finish my gym sesh with a vinyasa flow. Hope that helps :)

EricaKaye and JennZ like this

I've just started doing workouts 3 x per week that include weights, bodyweight, and a bit of cardio (skipping) because while I have no need to lose weight I'm starting to worry about my lack of strength and stamina as I get older. I'm actually hoping it helps me with my yoga practice by giving me a bit of extra arm strength. I actually think it's great to have both.

You could probably use yoga as your warm up or cool down stretches. Or a gentle, meditative yin practice for your recovery day. I also find doing things I enjoy makes it a lot easier, for example, my daily "exercise" includes cycling my son to school lol. Or a brisk walk with the dog. I find treadmills and exercise for the sake of exercise a bit draining, which is why I was hardly doing any...that's so bad!

JennZ, YogaByCandace and marcia like this

Congrats on all your positive changes and accomplishments! I like to use yoga as a warm up on my cardio days. I like the YBC leg videos for the days I run. I have a bad habit of not stretching out/warming up enough since I tend to be pressed for time. The videos make me stick to it for a healthy/safe amount of time!

I also like to use yoga as my cool down on the days I do weights or circuits. It seems to help me avoid soreness the next day. I just searched yoga for athletes on youtube and found a few videos that I enjoy for pre or post workout stretching.  :)

If you're looking for something like a complete body workout. You can learn to do the Sun Salutations. Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation comprises a sequence of 12 yoga posture. When I was training hard for mountain climbing expeditions, I would do a minimum of 12 sets of Sun Salutations usually as a warmup and sometimes to wind down a difficult day of training. Doing the Sun Salutation 12 times would work out to 288 yoga poses. Once I was able to learn it and do it with good form, it would take about 12 to 15 minutes. Nowadays on busy days when I would like to still get in some yoga, I would do Sun Salutations. Also I have a choice of doing it super fast, so it gives me a good cardiovascular workout or I would do it very very slowly, so as to get a very meditative workout which helps me to tone my muscles. Just make sure you do this in good form and break apart each posture and find out how to do it correctly.

Namaste

mimisouth and KristiSmithYoga like this

I dont currently do near as much as you do and have not yet gotten my body fat or weight were I want them (probably a big part of why!) but I do tend to include weights, cardio, yoga, and pilates into my workouts. I also sometimes mix my trx into some of the pilates or yoga moves as it can add a cool layer as well. I do find that I like to warm up or cool down with yoga on gym days, more of the stretching relaxing kinds, and on rest or more cardio days, I will do power yoga or something more challenging for me. So far I find it to be amazing to work out in the different ways and I really feel yoga brings something to my weight training and vice versa and have noticed that I personally do better in the gym after having gotten back into yoga/pilates more again.