Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveC

Lemongrass In Bath

2 posts in this topic

@yogabycandace post-620-0-20670300-1426729362_thumb.jpg Protip: lemongrass essential oil is not the same as lemon. Do not put in bath. Repeat, do not put in bath.

Hi Candace,

I saw your tweet about the lemongrass.  I was talking to my girlfriend Liana about it.  She works a lot with essential oils. This is something she had to say about it:

Lemongrass is generally safe but it can injure and irritate skin because of its high citral content.  As a general rule of thumb, dilute ALL essential oils before contact with your skin!  Adding EOs to a bathtub full of water does not dilute them; the oils float and come in contact with your skin at full strength.  On top of that, water has a "pushing" effect, so the bathwater pushes the oils into the upper layer of skin.  This can be a recipe for disaster if you find yourself in a bathtub with an oil you are sensitive to.  If that happens, it's best to get out of the water and lather up with a skin-safe oil  (olive oil, almond oil, coconut oil, etc).  This oil will help to draw the essential oil away from your skin. Then wash the oil off with soap and water. 

For baths, I like to dilute my essential oils one of three ways: by mixing with bath salts, mixing with a neutral carrier oil, or by mixing with shampoo/bodywash.

YogaByCandace and marcia like this