Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LarryD517

Identical Classes

10 posts in this topic

I take yoga classes a gym.

One class, Ashtanga Power, is the exact same every week.

On the one hand, it's good to know what is coming and to be able to work on the specific pose, etc., but on the other hand, there's a lot that we never do.

Is this normal for this type of class...or, does the instructor have OCD?

I usually find classes at actual yoga studios to be better than gyms tbh.  Ashtanga is usually a set sequence, but if it's a shortened hour class, the teacher may incorporate a few different poses in each class.  However 95% of it is usually the same in my experience.

I usually find classes at actual yoga studios to be better than gyms tbh....

Yup, but I'm cheap (already spending a ton between gym and soul cycle)

If it's traditional Ashtanga it will be the exact same every class. They have a Primary series and once you perfect that you move onto the second, third, etc.

Same with Bikram, they have a beginner's class that most people attend and an advanced - both literally the same postures in the same sequence every time. 

I like to do a mixture. I certainly liked taking Bikram classes and really getting to know the postures rather than doing different ones each week and never learning how to deepen the poses, but then I like to attend regular hatha classes as well for a bit of variety :)

YogaByCandace likes this

Thanks, it just feels strange, with hundreds??? of poses to choose from, to never venture beyond the set routine.

Not complaining, mind you.

The gym offers a few different classes, so I can mix it up by going at different times.

Jasmine and YogaByCandace like this

Larry, that's so funny. I had to look up the acronym 'OCD', obsessive–compulsive disorder and laughed.  All Ashtangis have OCD and a sense of humor. 

Ashtanga is the same every time. But it is not really strict. Every teacher or student will make some adjustments to the poses and transitions to best suit the individual.

The name Ashtanga Power might mean that it is part Ashtanga part Vinyasa

This link does a good job of explaining the system. It is for the primary series / beginner / first series.

http://www.absolutelyashtanga.com/contactus.html

Some of the advanced series are ridiculously difficult.

You're lucky that you have classes to go to, some of us don't.

Hmmm as a yoga teacher, I do have a plan in place, but when the students arrivenIndo my best to read how they are feeling. And so no it's never the same. I have found that as part of a practice we need to grow and explore new poses. For example, you can take the chair pose and flow into solo many other poses, balances etc. There are certain things I do repeat though in eac class, especially in warm -up of the spine. but as a student, I would get bored if each class was the same, only my opinion of course. I respect you if you prefer repetition.

I've discussed this with others...some really love the opportunity to perfect the poses and not waste time learning new poses during class, while others fret about never doing some poses. 

As for me, I'd love it if 80-90% of the class repeated but I'd gladly exchange the 15th through the 20th vinyasa for a few different poses.

I'd hate to think we'd be working on Warrior I and II...but never doing Warrior III.

Hmmm as a yoga teacher, I do have a plan in place, but when the students arrivenIndo my best to read how they are feeling. And so no it's never the same. I have found that as part of a practice we need to grow and explore new poses. For example, you can take the chair pose and flow into solo many other poses, balances etc. There are certain things I do repeat though in eac class, especially in warm -up of the spine. but as a student, I would get bored if each class was the same, only my opinion of course. I respect you if you prefer repetition.

Val, thanks for your comment.

You have found something that is good for you and works for you. Hopefully we all find that. And if you can pass that along to others that is the best.

I've been taking yoga off an on for 20 years now....wahhh I'm feeling old after typing that. But anyway most were all different. One of the things that has made me really keep the consistency with my practice this time is the consistency of the class that I take. At first it was pretty much the same things each time w/ a few newer poses/advanced modifications added as we all progressed. Our teacher was brand new about a year and half ago when I first started taking her, so I'm wondering if that is a part of your teacher's issue - she is new and not adding new challenges to her own teaching? The more advanced my Yogi has become, the more she has felt confident in adding variations to the poses and to the flow. Although I love the routine of being able to know what is coming next and being able to focus on each pose, I think I would begin to get bored after a while. I think we all need a variety to keep our practices fresh and feel like we are growing. Maybe you can send the instructor some of Candices' links and challenges. My instructor really got into them and will do some of the challenges with me, it makes it even more fun!