Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Danielle

How To Handle A "bad" Yoga Class?

5 posts in this topic

Hello All!

I've always been of the mindset that there is no such thing as a "bad" yoga class, that each teacher has their own style and it's all a matter of personal preference.  I went to a class yesterday and let's just say this teacher certainly challenged that belief.

I'm wondering, how would you handle a class that was truly unbearable - music was blasting, she had to yell to talk over it, her cueing and sequencing were all over the place and when she demonstrated poses she was doing them incorrectly herself.

As a fellow yoga teacher I tried to focus on my own practice and be open to a "different" teaching style, but my frustration was growing and there was nothing about being on my mat in that class that was serving me in a positive way.  So, with 15 minutes left to the class, I  did something I never thought I'd do...I quietly rolled up my mat and left.

I'm wondering, how would others handle a similar situation?  I'm torn on whether I should have stuck it out despite how the class was making me feel, or if leaving was the right thing to do since the class was having the exact opposite effect of the calming, reflective practice I was looking for.

Namaste

Danielle

YogaByCandace likes this

Something similar happened to me except this teacher is a pretty famous instructor. Here's my experience, if you want to read. In what you describe, however, I can see both sides of it. Do I challenge myself to stay and learn about what not to do as a teacher? Or do I quietly and respectful bow out, knowing that my time is valuable and this isn't enhancing my life in any way? Either way, it doesn't seem like there's a win, unfortunately.  :(

Danielle likes this

I think you the did the right thing by leaving if the effect of the class was opposite of what you were seeking.  I'm surprised you didn't leave earlier - you gave it a fair chance. If you paid a drop-in fee, I would even tell the front desk for a credit because it was counterproductive to your practice.

I've been lucky in not having an objectively bad class so far, so I haven't actually walked out early before.  But given what you described, I would have.

YogaByCandace and Danielle like this

Thanks Candace! I definitely tried to focus on what I could take away from the class, but unfortunately it got to a certain point where I really felt like it was counterproductive for me to be there.

yogafire - Trust me, it was quite a challenge to stay on my mat for as long as I did!  To be honest, the only reason I didn't ask for a refund or credit towards my class pack it because I know the owner of the studio fairly well and I didn't want to be rude, it was an unfortunate experience, but at least now I know which class to NOT go back to!

yogafire and YogaByCandace like this

There is a scale for which yoga classes can be rated: informed, effective, efficient, beautiful, and integrated.  One time I went to a 90 minute Power Vinyasa class for which there was a substitute teacher present.  I ended up being the only student to show up so I was like boo yah I'm getting a private lesson.  However the teacher appeared to be young, probably only a few years older than myself, and seemed to expect a bigger class turn out.  I expected to get sweaty so I took my shirt off, but as the class progressed it appeared that the teacher was not  informed that she was subbing for a Power Vinyasa class.  Thus, the most challenging pose was ardha kapotasana and I did not come close to breaking a sweat. Therefore the class was not effective for me.  Also the teacher seemed to feel uncomfortable and tried to make awkward conversation about tendons in the arches of the foot and her face was bright red.  Although this was unacceptable I remained polite and willing to continue.  The icing on the cake was that she made me sit through a 15 minute savasana with an audio of a loud gong ringing repeatedly.  The ringing of the gong became so unbearable that I had to sit up.  I should have complained.