Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
corrynk

New To Yoga, Hips Super Tight

3 posts in this topic

I just jumped in to doing more yoga, and I have noticed that my hips are really tight (mainly front of hips so the hips flexors I assume). Even when I am sitting crossed legged I can tell that there is a strain in my hips when I try to sit up straight. Also, when standing and lifting one leg I try to use my core but I can tell I mainly use my hips flexors. Also every core work I do I notice that I use my hips flexors, which I think makes them very tight. It has only been 3 days into the 30 day strength routine so I know I need to gain my strength especially in my core, but will my hip flexors eventually get stronger? Sitting up straight is such a strain for me with my legs crossed, bent in front, and straight in front, etc. Has anyone else had this issue, or have any advice? Thanks! 

Sitting up tall with the legs crossed can be super challenging. There's a lot going on, too. Besides tight hips, it's a lot for the core, can put some strain on the low back, requires a decent about of chest openness to keep the shoulders from rounding, etc. To answer your question - with consistent practice, your hip flexors (and other parts needed for sitting up w legs crossed) will not only get stronger but improve flexibility). Until then, try sitting on a rolled thick blanket or on the edge of a yoga block. When you do this, it'll help tilt the pelvis slightly forward (see this post). You can also give the legs some relief by placing a yoga block or even a thick rolled blanket under each leg as shown here (5th pic down). Hope that helps! 

PaulaH likes this

Thank you so much Candace, I will definitely try these techniques! I am on Day 8 of the 31 day strength series and have already soon improvements in my hips. I will continue practicing and be patient. Love your site.