Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
notlulamae

Crochet

11 posts in this topic

Anyone else crochet? I'm a bit of a beginner and have a tendency to miss stitches and make a right old mess of it. Any advice?!

I love to crochet! I'm hoping to finish up a c2c blanket this evening. I sometimes miss stitches at the end of my rows. Counting helps. I've found that the super fuzzy yarns like Lion Brand Homespun make seeing stitches difficult for me. What are you working on?

Hi notlulamae and JRBentele!  I love to crochet too!  I have been crocheting since I was 12 (and I am 57 now).  I am self taught and I feel there is always more to learn.

I will agree with JRBentele that I also struggle with the end and beginning of rows to maintain the right amount of stitches per row.  Counting does help and taking your time at the beginning of an item to determine if you need to pick up a stitch in the same place that you just did some chains on a turn OR to pick up the next obvious stitch.  Sometimes the instructions give good directions and sometimes they don't.  I try to take the time and experiment/count when i first start and then I know what to do after that.

I also agree that the fuzzy yarns are hard too.  I made an afghan out of the Lion Brand Homespun.  It was miserable to work with and we ended up giving it away because it shed.  I had already bought some Homespun in another color and I tried to make a sweater, but that project came to an abrupt halt.  No more with that yarn.

JR, what is a c2c blanket?  

notlulamae, what project are you currently working on?

I am making rag rugs by ripping up sheets and crocheting with the strips.  Loving the outcome.

notlulamae, what project are you currently working on?

What are you working on?

Hi both!!!

I was hoping to build a blanket of granny squares however a lot of my squares aren't quite squares! Haha. :D

MooreJ - Do you crochet with a giant hook? Or are the rags small pieces??

Katie

I also agree that the fuzzy yarns are hard too.  I made an afghan out of the Lion Brand Homespun.  It was miserable to work with and we ended up giving it away because it shed.  I had already bought some Homespun in another color and I tried to make a sweater, but that project came to an abrupt halt.  No more with that yarn.

Ahhhh, I have frogged so many projects, and half of them were an attempt to forge something out of Homespun.

MooreJ likes this

MooreJ, c2c stands for corner to corner. Basically, it is any item worked diagonally. This pattern explains it pretty well. As a bonus, c2c projects work up pretty quickly!

not lulamae, Granny squares terrify me. Too many ends to weave in!

MrBalloonHands likes this

Hi Guys! 

if you find it hard to count stitches to make sure you have the right amount I suggest using stitch markers for every set of stitches.  This will help you be aware of where you are in your work and if you have to put it down for a little bit you can get back to it no problem. Please don't go out and buy stitch markers, just use some scrap yarn or left over fabric or ribbon, or those tie things for produce at the super market (what are the called...?). just some ideas! 

Also, I avoid fuzzy yarn like the plague, but I find that I really have to count in order for it to look decent. 

Stitch markers will probably be the way forward. I'm wondering if I should start again for a blanket for next Winter :lol:

Hi both!!!

I was hoping to build a blanket of granny squares however a lot of my squares aren't quite squares! Haha. :D

MooreJ - Do you crochet with a giant hook? Or are the rags small pieces??

Katie

I use a size Q crochet hook.  I get sheets at Goodwill and then cut the hemmed edges off.  I cut a small slit every 1 1/2 inches along the short edge and then rip down at each slit making long strips.  My 8 year old granddaughter and I are making a 3-foot circle rug for her bedroom right now.  I slit, she rips, I crochet and she hands me the strips.  Great quality time.  If you are interested, I can give you directions on how to connect the strips.  No sewing required.

Jan

Hi Guys! 

if you find it hard to count stitches to make sure you have the right amount I suggest using stitch markers for every set of stitches.  This will help you be aware of where you are in your work and if you have to put it down for a little bit you can get back to it no problem. Please don't go out and buy stitch markers, just use some scrap yarn or left over fabric or ribbon, or those tie things for produce at the super market (what are the called...?). just some ideas! 

Also, I avoid fuzzy yarn like the plague, but I find that I really have to count in order for it to look decent. 

I have always rebelled against stitch markers.  Don't know why, just a silly avoidance.  But when necessary I have always used scrap yarn of a different color than my project, but last week I started using a large paper clip and just loop one edge through one strand on the stitch.  So easy and won't fall out.

Jan

MooreJ, c2c stands for corner to corner. Basically, it is any item worked diagonally. This pattern explains it pretty well. As a bonus, c2c projects work up pretty quickly!

not lulamae, Granny squares terrify me. Too many ends to weave in!

Ah, corner 2 corner.  I have never heard that reference before.  And the funny thing is I am knitting a blanket corner to corner now. a9affe31d8cde8c3403f322abac14668.jpg 

I only have 4 projects started ...  Oy!

I also avoid Granny squares.  I do not like weaving in ends and I worry about them coming apart.

Jan