katethegreat

How Do You Get Your Heels Down In Squat/garland?

6 posts in this topic

Hi! 

I'm having trouble getting my heels down in squat/garland and usually just end up sticking my butt out haha I'm not entirely surprised it's difficult; I dance and also had an issue with plies. I think the issue is that my calves are tight, but I'm not possible. Any ideas/suggestions? 

Thanks! 

Kate 

PaulaH, EricaKaye and mimisouth like this

Ugh! I don't!! Tight hamstrings/Achilles tendons/something!! runs in my family, none of us can squat down with flat feet lol!

In order to get my heels down I have to do just what you do with my butt or make my butt go super low which makes me lean forward too far. I usually just let my heels hover and keep the rest of the pose right! I'm looking forward to seeing what suggestions people have! 

PaulaH and mimisouth like this

I tend to start up on my toes and then really slowly let my heels down while focusing on one point to keep my balance. I think if it's painful or you just can't do it you're probably still getting all the benefits of garland pose if you have to stay on tippy toes :)

After doing lots of hip openers, it was a bit better (I always thought tight hips were the reason I couldn't squat, not the ankles). But to do Garland pose, I have to place my feet pretty far apart and my back is not always straight then...so this is obviously not ideal either. I looked up some exercises for tight ankles and will work on calf/hamstring flexibility, for lack of better ideas.

After doing lots of hip openers, it was a bit better (I always thought tight hips were the reason I couldn't squat, not the ankles). But to do Garland pose, I have to place my feet pretty far apart and my back is not always straight then...so this is obviously not ideal either. I looked up some exercises for tight ankles and will work on calf/hamstring flexibility, for lack of better ideas.

This for me as well!  I have noticed that since I've been practicing, my feet have been able to come closer to the floor.  To get them completely flat, I have to spread them farther than hip distance.  I know that my calf muscles are tight, but they are getting better (along with my hips).  I don't have any better ideas, aside from continuing to practice and stretching out.  If anyone finds anything please share!

mimisouth and PaulaH like this

Ahimsa, practice kindness to ourselves.

Everyone, your heels already touch the ground in Malasana, believe me they do. Don't force the heels to the ground, raise the ground up to meet your heels. Roll up the edge of the mat or put a block under your heels. Anything under the heels so the heels are comfortably supported. If it is comfortable to stay up on the balls of your feet that is fine too.

Find a comfortable place and practice the pose correctly. Over time what ever body part is tight will loosen up and then you will need to reduce the support under the heels to find a comfortable stretch in the pose.

The author of the the article below is very well respected, Paul Grilley. And very worthwhile reading

11. ASSESSING RANGE OF MOTION IN SQUATTING POSES

http://www.paulgrilley.com/resources/paul-s-writings/53-assessing-range-of-motion-in-squatting-poses

links to describe the pose

http://pranayoga.co.in/asana/malasana-garland-posture/

http://www.astrolika.com/yoga/malasana.html

If you have any questions I will try my best to help.

PaulaH and KatieD like this