YogaByCandace

April Yoga Project

72 posts in this topic

I actually went to a class the other day where the teacher said students could enter the splits. I have never come across that in a class before.. wowsers! Anyway, since then I am determined to get my splits back after seeing how gorgeous and graceful the other students looked entering the full splits. I've been doing these crazy workouts and I feel they are tightening my hamstrings because of the weights and I am really wanting to get back my hip flexibility as well as getting into the splits properly after losing all of my progress. This is perfect! 

My daughter is very active in gymnastics, acro (which is a lot like yoga to me) and tumbling.  She can do the splits like nobody's business so she is my inspiration.  I'm not choosing splits as my goal because I'm no where near that pose but I'm hoping I'm closer by the end of April! I'm going to work on my standing split as my pose and hoping I improve on wheel, camel, and bow along the way (all I can do but my form might need work).  My standing split I can't get my leg up too high.  My daughter (8) is so funny. My husband brought me home yoga blocks and she goes "you got my favorite thing! I love using those for splits!"

Sounds exciting, I will be working on bow pose for the main focus, but also forward fold too.  I notice my upper back is very rounded in forward fold, and I don't think that is proper alignment.  Excited to start the first set of exersices today!

YogaByCandace and yogagrammy like this

Hey everyone!  I think I'm going to work on a bunch of these poses lol.  Forward fold, as always, because no matter what I cannot seem to get my wrists flat.  I think it is a mixture between tightness in the wrists and hamstrings both.  I'm also going to focus on my standing splits and my wheel pose.  Wheel pose is going to have to wait for a bit of time, however.  My right shoulder is super tender for some reason so I'm going to wait for it to feel better before I start going into wheel regularly!  Good luckr and safe progress to everyone participating!!

By the way, today's workout was wonderful.  I liked the simple pace for everything, and I was able to do it all outside.  B-E-A-UUUU-TIFUL!!

This month I am digging a little deeper and working on standing splits. I just finished today's schedule. Here is where I am starting with my standing splits. If anyone has any tips I'm all ears  :lol:

attachicon.gif2015-04-01 12.08.25.jpg

Hey Kelli,

Have you tried using a wall? My standing splits is no where near perfect, but I progressed by using a wall. I would start with my foot up the wall and work on bringing my standing foot closer to the wall. It seems to help me keep alignment and get the extra stretch. I hope that makes sense!

I'm traveling near the end of April and am hoping to be able to still keep up with my routine while traveling. I plan to work on my splits and camel pose as I've been wanting to achieve more progress, but have been avoiding them in my daily practice. I can't wait to see everyone's progress!

I originally thought I'd work on my wheel pose. I have always been able to do wheel but my form is a bit weak and I wanted to work up to some variations of wheel. My right shoulder has been giving me fits the last few days, maybe due to my strong desire to stay up in handstand. I've really loved working on that. I've decided to work on splits and standing splits. My hip flexibility is lop sided as you can see in my instagram pics and I think this focus on hips just may let be feel comfortable in lotus.

YogaByCandace, Jasmine and Laura like this

This is probably going to be the best project for our bodies! I remember myself even as a kid struggling to sit with my legs crossed because of hip tightness! And when I was doing acrobatics in highschool I was probably the one that had to work the most on my flexibility because my hips and hamstrings didn't want to co-operate! haha!

So this month I will try to bring back those glorious days of acro ( :P ), by working on wheel, bow, and splits (which came naturally for me a few years ago) and also continue my progress with dancer's pose, which I have been practicing also in the past two projects!

I recorded a video yesterday to capture screenshots for day 1 of the programm, but realised at the end that my phone had moved a bit and half of my body was cut off the picture... so I will make a more decent try with my camera today!

Good luck everyone!!

I got an awful case of sinusitis for the last two weeks of March project - I only recently started breathing through my nose again and let me tell you people, it's the most glorious feeling ever. Since I was working on a dancer's pose then, I want to continue with it in April :)

I also want to work on my wheel pose - I have trouble getting up into the wheel when my feet are close to my hips, so I start with my feet a bit further and more open - is that bad? Can i injure myself this way? When I'm up i have no issues walking my feet back where they belong and staying in the pose for 7-10 breaths and I come down to a proper position too. Am I still too weak to do this lifting business?

YogaByCandace likes this

I've chosen splits for this project because I want to focus on hips and hamstrings opening this month. I could do splits at gymnastic classes when I was a little girl, maybe I'll can do them again ithis year at the age of 47! I'll work on wheel and bow pose too, to open the chest a little bit more.

Happy YBC April project to you all! :)

Sounds exciting, I will be working on bow pose for the main focus, but also forward fold too.  I notice my upper back is very rounded in forward fold, and I don't think that is proper alignment.  Excited to start the first set of exersices today!

The upper back will round a little bit - it's just how our bodies are created. We physically couldn't be totally flat because our chests/thighs get in the way. Instead of focusing on the upper back, visualize the belly melting onto the upper thighs are you come down. Bend your knees if you have to. The important thing is the belly melting on the thighs. When we do this, we bring the stretch into the hamstrings...and when we focus on getting the hands down and we forget about the belly/thigh connection, we often bring the stretch into the upper back which doesn't do anything for our hips/hamstrings :)

This month I am digging a little deeper and working on standing splits. I just finished today's schedule. Here is where I am starting with my standing splits. If anyone has any tips I'm all ears  :lol:

attachicon.gif2015-04-01 12.08.25.jpg

Standing split is a great choice! Tips: lots of hamstring and hip flexor work. Practice things like lizard pose, dancer's, high lunge. Breath is boss so just hang out in the poses for as many breaths as is ok for you and visualize openness.

I have trouble getting up into the wheel when my feet are close to my hips, so I start with my feet a bit further and more open - is that bad? Can i injure myself this way? When I'm up i have no issues walking my feet back where they belong and staying in the pose for 7-10 breaths and I come down to a proper position too. Am I still too weak to do this lifting business?

Be careful with this - can be tough on the knees. It may not be weakness but rather a lack of flexibility that's preventing you from lifting up. Just stay mindful in everything you do - don't force anything and don't push yourself into a realm of pain and you should be okay. But note the alignment

Agata and KelliAlaska like this

I was so excited to be able to do everything on the suggested schedule for Day 1.  I have done past challenges but have only been able to do half of what was on the schedule.  A sign of improvement in my practice I hope :24:   Here is to Day 2!

Just finished day 2! Got the hubster to photograph my standing splits. (yay for everyone who also chose this pose!)
It's nice to have the picture proof of the full extension of the poses. I must have the "visualization" down because what my mind thinks and body feels like it's doing is slightly (read: majorly) different from the photographs. ;P 

Can't wait to see how the progression goes. Best of luck everyone!

YogaByCandace likes this

Just finished day 2! Got the hubster to photograph my standing splits. (yay for everyone who also chose this pose!)

It's nice to have the picture proof of the full extension of the poses. I must have the "visualization" down because what my mind thinks and body feels like it's doing is slightly (read: majorly) different from the photographs. ;P 

Can't wait to see how the progression goes. Best of luck everyone!

I was so disappointed when I saw photo evidence of my standing split a few months ago. I thought my standing splits were far more impressive than the reality  :lol:

i never post on instagram so here's my contribution...this is my day one for forward fold and standing splits, excuse the background 

Looks great!!