YogaByCandace

April Yoga Project

72 posts in this topic

Regarding day 4's routine: Is it common to be able to wild-thing on one side but not the other? Also I'm having issues collapsing my wrists in poses like this.  :unsure:

And the rabbit pose--I think my shoulders/chest are still to tight to properly do this pose. I tried 3 times to mimic it in some form but decided to skip it in case I was doing more harm than good. Is there a variation or is it something I'll just have to keep working on other poses to open up before I can do it?

I'm feeling improvement in my standing splits   :)

YogaByCandace likes this

Regarding day 4's routine: Is it common to be able to wild-thing on one side but not the other? Also I'm having issues collapsing my wrists in poses like this.  :unsure:

And the rabbit pose--I think my shoulders/chest are still to tight to properly do this pose. I tried 3 times to mimic it in some form but decided to skip it in case I was doing more harm than good. Is there a variation or is it something I'll just have to keep working on other poses to open up before I can do it?

I'm feeling improvement in my standing splits   :)

It's common to be really tight on one side and not the other, yes. A trick for the wrists in wild thing is to be sure that your wrist is in front of your shoulder. That sounds weird and is hard to explain so watch this recent Ask a Yoga Question that shows a demo: https://youtu.be/2-tp-8gG9Bs(go to 3:20). Let me know if that's helpful :13:

mrsjoe24 likes this

I've decided to work on my standing split for this month. I am able to do regular splits with little difficulty (after proper warm up) but standing split has always evaded me. I also do ballet and my teacher always comes over to me, helps me stretch and pushes my leg almost straight up so I have the flexibility but not the strength. Does anyone also have a similar issue? Any tips on strengthening activities/flows to help with standing split? 

Ok, does this sound just silly. My chosen posture is the splits, but I don't think I will be able to safely get into it on my right-hand side because of an old but mostly healed injury. If I still do all of the warm ups and stretches evenly on both sides, am I going to end up all lopsided if I only do the actual splits with my left leg in front? lol

It is like that with everything, I'm way more comfortable with my left side thanks to the slight niggling on my right.

I'll be exploring splits and dancer's pose for the April challenge — below are my starting photos (apologies for the backdrop). Happy practicing!

Awesome!! I can't wait to see your progress!! 

I'm posting the photos a few days late... but this is what happened at Day 2 of the April project!

I know I have a loooong way to go... but the whole journey is what matters and it's so fun!

Fanntastic! 

Ok, does this sound just silly. My chosen posture is the splits, but I don't think I will be able to safely get into it on my right-hand side because of an old but mostly healed injury. If I still do all of the warm ups and stretches evenly on both sides, am I going to end up all lopsided if I only do the actual splits with my left leg in front? lol

It is like that with everything, I'm way more comfortable with my left side thanks to the slight niggling on my right.

Hmm, I would be very, very careful. It's not worth it, you know? On the other hand, maybe it's a good exercise in honoring your body and staying really tuned into how you feel and only going as far as you know you safely can. Buuuut on the other hand, meh, not worth it if there's a possibility to re-injure yourself. What about doing dancer's pose? It's a lot like a split but maybe you'll feel more safe in it since you'd have a bit more control? 

I've decided to work on my standing split for this month. I am able to do regular splits with little difficulty (after proper warm up) but standing split has always evaded me. I also do ballet and my teacher always comes over to me, helps me stretch and pushes my leg almost straight up so I have the flexibility but not the strength. Does anyone also have a similar issue? Any tips on strengthening activities/flows to help with standing split? 

Yes I totally know what you're saying and this is quite similar to me. What I do is just work on lifting that back leg up as high as I possibly can, wiggling the toes a little bit to awaken that sensation of length and lift, and then just keep pulling up. It's like a constant line of energy to reach reach reach. (That probably sounds crazy and makes zero sense but I tried, haha!) :D

Jasmine and Vicky like this

i didnt think it was necessary to ask this in the question section...but anytime i am in low lunge, which is nearly every day now, my knee hurts from the pressure

does that mean i just need a thicker mat?

YogaByCandace likes this

i didnt think it was necessary to ask this in the question section...but anytime i am in low lunge, which is nearly every day now, my knee hurts from the pressure

does that mean i just need a thicker mat?

You could buy a thicker mat, or you could try this little secret trick (first pic): :)  http://yogabycandace.com/blog/2014/3/6/yoga-questions-answered

KimK and femmefatalekris like this

You could buy a thicker mat, or you could try this little secret trick (first pic): :)  http://yogabycandace.com/blog/2014/3/6/yoga-questions-answered

i actually went to the doctor today for a physical exam and he ordered x-rays for them...so i don't think it's the mat but maybe my own doing lol, hopefully nothing too serious

​thanks again

YogaByCandace likes this

i actually went to the doctor today for a physical exam and he ordered x-rays for them...so i don't think it's the mat but maybe my own doing lol, hopefully nothing too serious

​thanks again

Fingers crossed it's nothing serious!! Thinking about you! 

femmefatalekris likes this

Yesterday I recorded my progress from week 2 of the project! I'm really happy that I see a positive change in most of the poses...

Ok... maybe my middle split looks the same with week 1, but how much cuter do I look with my dog sitting by my side??? hahaha!!!

This week I added camel pose to my practice.. it's a pose that usually comes easy to me. I have read about how it can affect you emotionally but never really felt it until yesterday, where I almost started crying... it was intense...

I guess it has to do with the fact that I'm missing my family and friends so much and these days (it's Greek Easter tomorrow) remind me of them a lot because we always spent them together in our little village and now I'm away from them...  :(

It's been 2,5 years that I moved from my hometown, Thessaloniki, to the island of Naxos (I fell in love and moved here to live with my fiance).. I don't regret it even for a minute, but I think I will never get over the fact that all the rest of my beloved people live in the other side of the country and I can't visit as often as I would like.. 

Anyway... enough with the sad things... I have a wonderful guy that takes care of me and 2 beautiful/crazy dogs that don't leave me alone even when I want to do some yoga...  :P

I hope you all had a great week!! 

4.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg

Hmm, I would be very, very careful. It's not worth it, you know? On the other hand, maybe it's a good exercise in honoring your body and staying really tuned into how you feel and only going as far as you know you safely can. Buuuut on the other hand, meh, not worth it if there's a possibility to re-injure yourself. What about doing dancer's pose? It's a lot like a split but maybe you'll feel more safe in it since you'd have a bit more control? 

Just thought I'd give you a quick update, after doing the challenge as well as stretching my legs nightly I'm feeling pretty confident that the splits will be pretty safe. I'm about an inch and a half from the ground surprisingly on both sides and I can't feel any pain on my right. I wasn't game to attempt the actual splits on my right side but the other day I thought I'd very gently test it and I'm absolutely fine. For some reason the funny feeling on that side seems to be more when my leg is straight and I have to fold my body over my legs. 

I think I'll continue with my splits but will definitely take your advice and honour my body and the second I feel any sensation on that side I'll be stopping immediately! Considering it took me so long to recover and I have so many things I want to do there is no way I can afford to do it again. Lesson well and truly learned the hard way  :lol:

mimisouth and YogaByCandace like this

I'm loving this challenge and feel a real improvement in my hips following Candace's programme. I'm really pleased with progress of my forward fold..

I think I should work on my chest next though now that is tight!

YogaByCandace likes this

hello everyone, I had chosen the camel pose and the wheel pose for the february backbend project, but at the end of that month I hadn't done a lot progress, but continuing to play with the poses on this month project again made them much better, with no expectations will go on to the end of this month.

and for the next 2 weeks I will work on my standing forward bends basic one ,wide legged one and on the sited forward bends too. 

and I will keep working on them in next challenge too.

one more thing I wish there was yoga emojis too ,it would be funny...

i love when candace says "if it's in your practice, take a bind" because it reminds me that it's not a race and i can take my time to get certain variations into my practice

well without even realizing it, for the first time, i took a bind in seated spinal twist

im pretty sure i scared my neighbors because i was yelling "oh sh-t, it's in my practice!"

kind of excited...ok carry on

hello everyone, I had chosen the camel pose and the wheel pose for the february backbend project, but at the end of that month I hadn't done a lot progress, but continuing to play with the poses on this month project again made them much better, with no expectations will go on to the end of this month.

and for the next 2 weeks I will work on my standing forward bends basic one ,wide legged one and on the sited forward bends too. 

and I will keep working on them in next challenge too.

one more thing I wish there was yoga emojis too ,it would be funny...

Justforyoga,

You ask and you shall receive!  

:meditation-yogi:

justforyoga, Jasmine, Vicky and 1 other like this