Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Meugenio

Need The Yoga Alliance?

8 posts in this topic

I've been doing a lot of thinking and research about yoga teacher training lately. Besides considering the cost and the teachers in each program, I've been looking at programs that are and aren't certified by the Yoga Alliance. Do you think it makes a big difference whether or not I do a Yoga Alliance certified program? I'd love to hear your thoughts about this!

I personally have chosen to taken a course that is Yoga Alliance certified, and likewise as a student I pick teachers who are certified. 

I too have chosen a course that was YA approved.... I don't know if there's a huge difference, but here's what I do know: 

Yoga teacher training are big money makers for the instructors. Huge. So in knowing that, I'd look at each program pretty thoroughly trying to decide if it's worth it, or if this is company/instructor/whatever that is trying to take advantage of unsuspecting, devoted yoga students. 

Be sure you get a good look at the curriculum ahead of time. I mean, exactly what you will be learning. Get a hold of the tentative schedule to see how the day will be structured. If possible, talk with other students who have taken the training. I have never once been asked if I was registered with YA, however I do like that the YA has a standard so if the course is approved by them, at least you'll know it put in the effort to go through the approval process. I've found the whole YA thing is pretty controversial amongst yoga instructors, so this'll also depend on who you ask.

Reggi, Oak and Shawn like this

I'm not trying to tell you to go either way but I can tell you about my experience. I work full time and until recently was helping my daughter in college (culinary school) and I just can't take that much time off work to attend YTT away from home. Also there is the cost. It is very expensive to take YTT and I just can't afford it right now at this time in my life (53 and want to take advantage of my good health while I have it!) I found a YTT that is an at home study course and I can take one module at a time and pay as I go. They also have a Yoga Alliance course and I believe it a legit and beneficial course. I don't know if I can plug the name or not so Candace can make that decision. I can't post it if she says it's ok.

I did a teacher training that was yoga alliance certified.  I have actually never seen one that wasn't, but that is just my area.  I never joined the yoga alliance myself, I have never felt like I needed it to market myself etc.  I teach only one class a week, because when I taught more my practice suffered (also have a demanding full time job) so I'm trying to find more work.  I think most teachers I know did a registered training but aren't registered themselves.  I can't imagine doing a training that wasn't certified to be honest. I could be wrong, but I think that it at least shows that they are meeting certain standards and have a curriculum developed.

I'm not trying to tell you to go either way but I can tell you about my experience. I work full time and until recently was helping my daughter in college (culinary school) and I just can't take that much time off work to attend YTT away from home. Also there is the cost. It is very expensive to take YTT and I just can't afford it right now at this time in my life (53 and want to take advantage of my good health while I have it!) I found a YTT that is an at home study course and I can take one module at a time and pay as I go. They also have a Yoga Alliance course and I believe it a legit and beneficial course. I don't know if I can plug the name or not so Candace can make that decision. I can't post it if she says it's ok.

Because you're adding to the conversation, you're welcome to post it  :27:  What we want to avoid is people who only come on to post once about their business just because it doesn't add anything or help anyone.

yogagrammy likes this

When I was choosing my yoga teacher training course, seeing that it was Yoga Alliance approved gave me the added trust and security. I didn't see any options that weren't certified by Yoga Alliance but I think that's because there aren't many yttc options in Northern Ireland.

If you do your research and talk with the business owner you should be ok! Good luck :)

Meugenio likes this