Drew

Wearing Of Toe Rings

15 posts in this topic

I've noticed a lot of yoga instructors and practicioners wearing toe rings. Especially on the second toe of each foot. Is there some significance to them or just a fashion thing?

think they might be similar to wedding rings we wear on our fingers, as I'm pretty sure married Hindu (and maybe others?) women wear them. I would suspect some yogis wear them as jewellery because we're barefoot so often. 

That's so cool! Anyone on here wear toe rings? I'd love to know when you got them.

So are they exclusively for women?

I have worn toe rings on and off for about 20 years. I usually wear a gold one on my second toe of the right foot, sometimes on both feet (2nd toe). The toe rings pre-date my yoga practice and definitely started as just a fashion thing. I don't like wearing them when I practice though, I've tried and found they can pinch or get in the way when I'm doing certain postures. 

My husband bought the latest set for me so it is neat to know they have a significance as wedding rings in other cultures :) 

Drew, I've never seen them on a man but then again I live in small town America where no one really steps outside of the box lol! 

Jasmine and Drew like this

That's awesome, Erica!

It's funny that we wear wedding bands on our fingers and other cultures on their toes! Does that mean the marriage bond is twice as strong if they wear 2 toe rings? Lol.

You think a guy could pull off toe rings? I'm really working on not caring what ppl think. I've decided that life is too short to worry about that stuff. I just think toe rings look really cool! I'm this close to getting my ears pierced!! Lol.

EricaKaye likes this

Today I'm wearing my toe ring but not my wedding rings haha! Oops!

I would love to see guys wearing toe rings!! People can be really weird with these sorts of things though, so if you decide to maybe be prepared for some rude comments and questions but it's one of those things that is their problem and not your problem if that makes sense.

My toe ring is one of the ones that slips on over your toe like a finger ring, rather than the adjustable ones.. I find it doesn't affect my yoga at all in fact I really forget it's even there until someone points it out - ErikaKaye I'm not sure if yours are adjustable but if they are and you want some to wear while practicing the non-adjustable ones are super comfortable. You have to measure your toe if you get one that slips on like a ring. Mine was from toerings.com and I know you can get some great ones from Etsy, too :)

Drew and EricaKaye like this

Jasmine, let's start a toe ring revolution!! Haha.

Those fitted toe rings sound really cool. I'll have to check them out. Wouldn't want anything too feminine. And yeah, I've always worried too much about people judging me. Certified people pleaser. Thanks for the positive encouragement :)

What do y'all think about earrings for guys? My wife has been wanting me to get my ears pierced.

Jasmine likes this

Jasmine, I'm going to look into those! I have the adjustable ones and the space is what pinches so a sized one would be perfect! Thanks for the tip!

Drew, I totally understand the people pleasing thing!! I'm also working on dropping that. Both the earrings and toe rings are things that can be easily removed if you try it and don't like it or find the possible negative attention to be too much. Maybe start with one and see how it goes then go for the other! Honestly, if it makes you happy and makes your wife happy and it isn't hurting anyone else then why not?!  :)  :)  :)

Jasmine likes this

I originally just posted because I was curious about the history and significance of toe rings. Now I'm questioning societal norms. Jewelry is pretty universal. So why is it that some jewelry (i.e. toe rings) is considered only appropriate for women? Piercings are pretty universal for both sexes.

But I do totally get that some clothing just does NOT work for men. :)

Jasmine, I'm going to look into those! I have the adjustable ones and the space is what pinches so a sized one would be perfect! Thanks for the tip!

Drew, I totally understand the people pleasing thing!! I'm also working on dropping that. Both the earrings and toe rings are things that can be easily removed if you try it and don't like it or find the possible negative attention to be too much. Maybe start with one and see how it goes then go for the other! Honestly, if it makes you happy and makes your wife happy and it isn't hurting anyone else then why not?!  :)  :)  :)

They can be a little bit more expensive, but totally worth it in my experience. I have a small one on my left foot and I truly forget it's even there, I wear it literally 24/7 and would like to get some more :) You can stack them as well!

Drew, if you have a look around you'll probably see that there's quite a few guys with earrings on. I think it's sort of sad that so many of us hold back from doing/wearing/being things we want to do because we're scared of the reaction. I think the worst you could do is try it and realise it's not for you and as EricaKaye mentioned you can remove them if it's a problem. You might love it :)

EricaKaye likes this

Toe rings started in indian culture, married women had to wear one. Now, it became a fashion thing and I agree that feet deserve as much attention as our hands. It's beginning to be fashion for guys as well

@Drew Earrings are a personal choice, much like getting tattoos (of which I have both.) Get your ear (or ears!) pierced because you want to get them pierced, not because your wife wants to see them pierced. The thing I find about getting a piercing/tattoo/anything on your body (or make you do anything, frankly) because somebody you love wants you to do it is that you start to regret it or hate it either right after the procedure or over time. When you hate/regret that thing, you start to antagonize the person that made you get it. That just creates a lot of bad.  Get the piercing because you really want it, not because your wife is nagging for you to get it!